• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [Scripting] Command Database Naming

What do you think about the current command names?

• Good enough

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I would change some of them

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Honestly I don't care a lot

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Well whatever CmdC3 is, I know it is not a stand-alone command. It has 1 parameter(including the command) so far...

Anyways, I've been thinking about a new name for warphole..Maybe you can try Warpfall?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Well whatever CmdC3 is, I know it is not a stand-alone command. It has 1 parameter(including the command) so far...

Anyways, I've been thinking about a new name for warphole..Maybe you can try Warpfall?

Why warpfall? Wouldn't that be less obvious, as a name?

Besides, even if the poll ended, you can still post your suggestions. Don't let this thread down, please: I made it for all of you, after all.
Thanks for reading.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Hackmew, can't you shorten some commands? Like, the comparebank commands. Some of them are long.

Also, I have a question, what does bufferstring do? Does it have to do something with the text?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
HackMew, can't you shorten some commands? Like, the comparebank commands. Some of them are long.

Also, I have a question, what does bufferstring do? Does it have to do something with the text?

To shorten a command name, the new name must have some sense. I posted the "rules" in the first post. So, if you have anything to suggest, just post.
The bufferstring command will simply put a string loaded at a specific offset into the selected buffer. That is used for berry trees in R/S/E, for example.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
I have a couple of suggestions:

Spoiler:

That's all. I might post some later on. However, you don't have to do them if you don't like them, they are just suggestions.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I have a couple of suggestions:

Spoiler:

That's all. I might post some later on. However, you don't have to do them if you don't like them, they are just suggestions.

I like the whole idea of "commands make more sense" but, serriously people if this is changed to that and that to this, nobody will know what the commands are and all totorials will be worthless.(unless they get translated..) I think that if a command dosn't make sense, it's fine to change the names, but don't go on a rampage saying rename this, that and the other. The commands make sense as is. Sorry if I seem harsh, and I'm not trying to spam... I'm just trying to state my what I feel.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
I like the whole idea of "commands make more sense" but, serriously people if this is changed to that and that to this, nobody will know what the commands are and all totorials will be worthless.(unless they get translated..) I think that if a command dosn't make sense, it's fine to change the names, but don't go on a rampage saying rename this, that and the other. The commands make sense as is. Sorry if I seem harsh, and I'm not trying to spam... I'm just trying to state my what I feel.

You got a point. However, I only suggested. I didn't tell him they are better, and he should change them.
The commands he used in the new XSE should not be changed. People are used to them by now.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
You got a point. However, I only suggested. I didn't tell him they are better, and he should change them.
The commands he used in the new XSE should not be changed. People are used to them by now.
with this in mind...maybe he(assuming Hackmew is a he don't get mad if I'm wrong) could add support for the syntax of the previous versions...

droomph

weeb
Years
Here are some suggestions:
Spoiler:

The THUMB command for "compare" is "cmp", and we all can understand what "cmp" means, so yeah...just sayin'

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years

On the topic of renaming, it'd be nice to have overrides for (un)used commands, that way if someone were to add a custom command (via ASM hacking), It'd have a name. Just a thought. :)

Or, have different databases of overrides, that way people can use the old command names until they get used to or convert their old scripts. Thus, everyone's happy with their commands, improved or not

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
My own research, back when I was active in FR hacking, revealed that the purposes and even the argument structures of certain commands were not consistent between Advance-gen games. I'd strongly advise having multiple command databases as resource files, independent of XSE itself and alterable with a simple text editor.

This would allow the program to account for the variations and for ASM-based custom commands, and would allow anyone who conducts research similar to mine to extend the database as needed.

Of course, this thread is only back as the result of a necropost, so no one should expect updates to be made based on any posts here.

Back