• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch Online

pkmin3033

So. It's here. Are you buying into it? How do you feel about it now that its launched, and what do you hope to see from it in the future?

I am...sitting on a very uncomfortable spiky fence. I want to play MHGU online. But I do not want to support what is easily the worst online service I have ever seen. Cost is not a point in its favour when what it offers is rubbish NES titles and selective cloud saves. Oh, and online play which was free to begin with.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Honestly I still don't understand this.

Do you really need this to play anything online?

As an example I just recently quit playing Pokken Tournament DX (mostly because I got tired of the fighting game BS and realized you pretty much have to be a genius to 'git gud' at it which I am not and I wasn't having fun with it anymore). Is having this mandatory to play this online now?

If so I suppose I quit playing Pokken at just the right time.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Well, I gave in and bought the one year subscription just because I enjoy playing Splatoon 2 online quite a bit. Though it's pretty bad that one of the games we can't backup is Splatoon 2... :shaking-head-no: My Switch is pretty much a Splatoon machine, and if for whatever reason I ended up losing all my data, I'd probably never pick up the game again.

I grew up with NES games, but I don't really have any interest in playing them. Maybe if they add some SNES titles down the line, I might make some of use the feature.

Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
So. It's here. Are you buying into it? How do you feel about it now that its launched, and what do you hope to see from it in the future?

I am...sitting on a very uncomfortable spiky fence. I want to play MHGU online. But I do not want to support what is easily the worst online service I have ever seen. Cost is not a point in its favour when what it offers is rubbish NES titles and selective cloud saves. Oh, and online play which was free to begin with.

I agree, I wanna play Splatoon 2, but this service is absolutely pointless and I don't wanna drop $20 a year on something I was getting for free previously. I'm standing my ground, hell no I'm not buying into it!

Years
Admittedly, I was pretty underwhelmed by what Nintendo had to offer for their online services. And I still am. Part of me feels like it's kinda odd that you have to download an app just to communicate to other players when microphone support should've been a thing already in the Switch? Usually I give Nintendo a pass for not being as intensely into hardware as Sony and Microsoft, but a microphone seems like the kind of basic accessory Nintendo should've been selling about now. :s

Really though, if Nintendo's retro line-up included N64 games of old, then that'd be more than enough reason for me to get into it. But NES? I uh... struggle to kind of envision how attractive of an offer that's going to be.

I'll have to think about this quite a bit before making a decision. I can only hope Nintendo has some more details on this that they haven't revealed yet, because to be blunt, their list of benefits here is incredibly shallow.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Poorly thought out AND you have to pay for it... yeah, pass.

None of the very few games in my library are multiplayer anyway. Maybe Bayonetta 2 and that's it. And I have one active friend on my list. I still wouldn't pay for it even if the reverse were true though.

Years
Some of the things I have seen and read about the service have done absolutely nothing to convince me to blow $30 for a year for a service that has the potential to do so much better. Needing an app just to voice chat as opposed to the Switch, itself? Yeah, I think we all know what can be said about that.

Not to mention that the cloud save feature leaves a lot to be desired, oh and not all of them can use such a feature because of cheating, because that's clearly the best excuse Nintendo could come up with. At least Sony and Microsoft allow to keep cloud data, with the latter being able to be kept such indefinitely after the Live subscription ends. Not to mention being able to store data through external means, something that Nintendo somehow doesn't have any desire for, this time around. Hey, did I mention that at least Sony and Microsoft can at least do all that AND prevent cheats?!

Ahh well, at least there's being able to play the NES games you could want, provided you're constantly connected, and can't play when you haven't connected for a week. See, moments like such make me glad I already have a Famicom Mini, not to mention emulation, both of which I can at least use any given time I please with no time limit.

As for playing online, so far don't have games that would convince me to actually use the feature, so all up, not really convincing me to shell out.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Your question can be answered in one word: Yes

Things that were once free are no longer the case.

I KNEW IT.

Good thing I quit. I'm not shelling out $20 a year just so I can continue playing a BS fighting game that you basically have to be a genius just to 'git gud' at.

:shaking-head-no:

Years
I KNEW IT.

Good thing I quit. I'm not shelling out $20 a year just so I can continue playing a BS fighting game that you basically have to be a genius just to 'git gud' at.

:shaking-head-no:

Being a genius to play Pokken? Lol what, you can just play casually?????? You can still be pretty darned good at the game and not have to be punching at tournament level, sounds like you just need to actually sit down and practice a little.

With regards to the whole online thing, I think I'll see if somehow it develops as time goes on because at the moment I'm not really sold on the service...or if 3 others decide to go in on a family subscription or whatever.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Being a genius to play Pokken? Lol what, you can just play casually?????? You can still be pretty darned good at the game and not have to be punching at tournament level, sounds like you just need to actually sit down and practice a little.

With regards to the whole online thing, I think I'll see if somehow it develops as time goes on because at the moment I'm not really sold on the service...or if 3 others decide to go in on a family subscription or whatever.

Apparently you have to play a fighting game every single day to 'git gud' at it. I can't and don't have the time for that. Having to do that is BS and ridiculous.

It's not happening. End of story.

Back