• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you miss about DPPt?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Do you miss playing Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? Or do you much prefer to leave these fantastic (imo) games behind and allocate all your effort into playing the newest generation of Pokemon games? Are there any features of DPPt that you miss because they're absent from the recent releases?

Discuss!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I still do actually. I deleted my old save file a few years ago and couldn't be bothered to start again. I miss exploring the caves, catching them all, battling in Stark Mountain and all that good stuff. Every time I've tried to boot it back up again, I've just lost interest. Maybe it's because of the high standard the newer games set with 3D and all that. D/P/Pt just seemed ancient compared to them. As for features, I can't think of anything they've left out. I'd love to see mining and the Poketech back though. :)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Do you miss playing Diamond, Pearl and Platinum?
I do! Most of the nostalgia comes from being able to trade with folks across the world for the first time. I already was obsessed with the Pokemon series at the time, but Wifi trading just about rocked my world.

Or do you much prefer to leave these fantastic (imo) games behind and allocate all your effort into playing the newest generation of Pokemon games?
I definitely play all of the newer games ten times more than I played Dppt. However, my Pearl has the honor of being my only file with 700+ hours, so hey, there's that.

Are there any features of DPPt that you miss because they're absent from the recent releases?
I miss the Battle frontier, Sinnoh underground, and some of the coolest cities like Snowpoint and Sunyshore and Hearthome. I've had some trouble living without the Poketch to use as a step counter, happiness checker, daycare egg watcher, and stats on your last received Pokemon and all sorts of widgets and things! I really miss Dawn and her Platinum outfit hnggggggg

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I don't miss DPPt at all because I play them all the time! I play Pearl way more than I play Black/B2/X - I just found the Gen IV games to be so much more interesting than other regions and there was so much to do post-game too. I absolutely love the Sinnoh reason and for me it was the last generation before the new Pokémon being added in started seeming like filler because it's a new generation rather than being inspiring cute fun quirky creatures that you'd want to train, so whenever I feel like playing a Pokémon game it'll 90% of the time be either Pearl or Platinum haha. I really wish they'd remake the Sinnoh region in the new amazing graphics style from XY, but I can't help thinking having all these new Gen V/VI Pokémon around Sinnoh would spoil it a tad. I don't want the threatening caves of Mt Coronet to be littered with random ice creams floating around and I don't want random happy key chains flying into my face whilst I'm looking for bunnies and ghosts in Eterna Forest :(

DPPt will never get old for me and although there were a lot of improvements that could've been made (Pokémon followers!), it's by far my favourite trio of games.

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
Years
Platinum. My all time favourite Pokemon game. One thing I really miss is badass champions. Steven and Cynthia were great, but since then, I havent been remotely interested or intimidated by a champion. Going up against that Garchomp, I actually felt excited. My heart went faster. When I won, it was on my last pokemon, with low health. Nowadays, I swept Dianthe with Krookodile, only level 66. Alder was alright, but I really don't think Dianthe is champion material. Also, Pokegear! I WANTZ IT. And I really liked the underground. And the distortion world.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I do not miss them, because, well… I still play them! xD Not as often as I used to, but I play them whenever I get the chance. They're quite old, yes, but you shouldn't allow that to stop you from enjoying these games. One feature from D/P/Pt that should've made into the recent games is, in my opinion, Ball Capsule. This enabled our Pokémon to be sent out on the field in a flashy, stylistic way, which was very nice to look at. Only thing that I didn't like about it was that it required you to remove all Seals from a Pokémon before putting them into your PC, which was sort of annoying. If there was a way to have Seals removed automatically, then that would have been much better.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I missed playing Platinum, but all the new games like Black and White and even X makes me take much of time playing the latest one instead of Platinum. However, I missed Ball Capsules customization feature, and traveling into Distortion World as well.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
My Lite broke long ago, so it's been a while since I played these awesome games. :'( I missed lots of things about these games, such as the music. I loved the music! It made me stay on the routes, on the towns and on battles a little longer, despite not having the "Hoenn trumpet charm". But I also missed the contests. Many people don't like it, but I do! Even more than the R/S/E ones. It felt like it was a real contest, with dressing up and the dancing! Another feature I missed was the Ball Capsules. The Underground/Secret Base whatever didn't really feel like a secret base (I don't think it was meant to be one idk??) but it was fun chasing around and steal flags and stuff. And the Poketch.

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
The things that I miss in Platinum are poketch,villa,contest, etc.I love the underground game because I can get some cool stuffs like fossils,shards,evolution stones and damp rocks.

Last edited:
Years
I miss DPPt's post game content. To me, it was the best part.
I still have the good memories of my journey to Stark Mountain, come on that was so good.
There's more, there's still the Sinnoh Underground, Ball Capsule customization, THE POKETCH, The villas and many more!

So yeah I really do miss those games I simultaneously played both Diamond and Emerald back when DP was released.

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
I think one of the things I kinda miss is the Underground. I still think it would've been cool if they could've implemented the idea for wifi, just your friends, instead of local wireless. But, I can understand that it would've taking quite a bit to do so.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
I think one of the things I kinda miss is the Underground. I still think it would've been cool if they could've implemented the idea for wifi, just your friends, instead of local wireless. But, I can understand that it would've taking quite a bit to do so.

My thoughts exactly. I love the digging parts. I was so fun and the gem growing? I spent a year doing that

The contests are what I miss the most, I love it.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
You can't miss playing a game you still play :P. platinum was really the last game that had pokemon that fit in with the older generations. Unlike today when you have keys O.o. if there is one thing i miss from sinnoh it would have to be the underground. I spend so much time down there trying to customize my base and mineing...

But i disagree with the idea of haveing it as wifi instead of infrared. It brought my friends and i together, something that is hard to do now

Years
Do you miss playing Diamond, Pearl and Platinum?
I do admit I really miss playing through Sinnoh. It was a beautiful region in its own right and had some strong Pokemon to boot. Not to mention it had one of my fave female Pokemon game protagonists ever.

Or do you much prefer to leave these fantastic (imo) games behind and allocate all your effort into playing the newest generation of Pokemon games?
I'm someone who usually moves on when a new generation comes out, and I recently did that again when I got X/Y for Christmas. However, if I get bored I sometimes find time to play my older games.

Are there any features of DPPt that you miss because they're absent from the recent releases?
Definitely most of the Poketch features for the same reasons as Blade/Lilith said. A lot of the apps were quite helpful imo.

blue

gucci
Years
DPPT are my third favourite games right behind RSE and XY respectively. I've always got time to replay Platinum and I just love pretty much everything about the Sinnoh Region. There's not really much I miss about the games, they're just up there with some of the best IMO.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I don't remember exactly why, but after playing through them, Diamond and Pearl became my favorite games. I can't really explain it, I just really liked the feel of it and the music and a whole bunch of stuff. I still remember climbing Mt. Coronet in the middle of that epic snowstorm (and epic music) and just thinking "A game can't get better than this!!1"
If you haven't noticed, a lot of my favorite Pokemon, if not most of them, are from DP. Garchomp, Lucario, Magnezone, Toxicroak, and Gliscor are just a few of them. I hadn't enjoyed a Pokemon game as much as I did for these ones before.

As for the features, the only thing I want to return is the Underground. It was a lot of fun playing with friends, or even just digging for fossils at times.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
I miss the undergroud :( I spent a lot of time in there. I didn't really like the games in general though. I can't really tell why, but I just didn't like them too much. I do, however, use a lot of Sinnoh pokemon in my battling teams.

hypersonic300

A guy that plays games
Years
Well, DPPT Was my first generation, so I would miss alot of things. But what I do miss is Distortion World, beacause playing a 2.5D game in a 3D Style was amzing! The waterfalls were awesome, and Giratinas form was great!

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
The Vs. Seeker. I don't understand why they never re-used it after D/P/Pt and instead chose sub-par replacements.

Years
I miss playing.. it's just so hard to go back to DS games after having seen these new 3D models of X/Y. From the fourth gen games I miss the Poketch the most for sure; so many useful apps! They really helped me push me along and there were options for pretty much anything.

Back