• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What would you like to see in a Pokémon fangame?

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
sorry to be a necromancer (this isnt the sort of thread that can "die" though).
But I was thinking, surely theres a way to make a pokemon game based on different mechanics, not leveling up.
The problem with leveling up is you can end up beating the major trainers, like the gym leaders, just by having higher level pokemon, not by having a good plan. In the small amount of anime ive watched (just the kanto and johto series) there was no mention of the level of pokemon. I think this is because its not a very natural idea, its a very "gamey" idea.
surely we can think of something better.
That'd be really cool

And yeah, it just seems like the battles are all about having the strongest Pokemon, rather then any strategy, one thing I'd love to see in a game is exactly that - strategy. In the Pokemon games, you could, essentially, train your starter to level 100 before even challenging the first NPC. It'd be a lot of work, but you'd win for sure. So that's something I'd like to see

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I know I'm in the extreme minority, so much so that'd I'd be better off typing this in like the YoYo Games community or something, but how about a Pokemon game... that's not based on the trainer games?

The monsters have so much character potential. Or failing that, natural potential. Certainly a bunch of creative minds can come up with something that's not another RPG with the same mechanics we can get for 39.99 at a super store, right?
confused.gif

Though to a lot of people's credit, there's some talent that can come up with amazing stuff and for free at that.

"Well, what would you propose?"

I dunno, perhaps we can turn to Pokesho for some inspiration? The right kind of inspiration, that is. Not the unapologetic fanservice. Personally, I'd be all in for a beat 'em up done right with fluid sprite animations. Heck, I might even jump in on that one if it doesn't take itself seriously.

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
For the whole challenge aspect of a Pokemon game, why not just Nuzlocke it? There's a lot of different variations of a locke run which wipes out the overlevel thing cause a Pokemon's considered "dead", and if not that, there's always catering a fangame to competitive battling like Pokemon Reborn has showed.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I would like to see new minigames and features that will thrill the player and love it like the rest of the video games today.

An awesome storyline will be great too, plus graphical presentation of the game is important too. Also a good first impression of the game will be great to hook the players to the game.

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023

What's so good about this?
You really want to battle with your 100 levels against trainers' level 100s?
If you think you won't have level 100s, you will ;)
In the third or fourth region your Pokémon party will surely be 100 level and to balance it, trainers would also have to have level 100s...
Not to mention 5th region... that would be simple overkill with base trainers having at least 5 level 100s...

There could be a script where you can't get your pokemon from a previous region until post hall of fame in that region

Years
May I revive this thread ? :D

I have a few ideas of stuff I would like :

1) Different themes for gym leaders or any important trainer :
- look-based theme like dog theme, humanoid theme, mono-colour theme etc
- strategy-based theme like high att pokes, all pokes having boosting stats like swords dance, weather based theme, etc

It could be for example for 8 gyms :
Mono dog
Mono cat
Mono rodent
Mono humanoid
Mono item-based (voltorb, chandelure, etc)
Mono reptile
Mono dinosaur
Mono bird (many flying types + Blaziken and Empoleon)

Elite 4 :
Hail team
Sun team
Sand team
Rain team

2) After completing pokemon Colosseum and XD, I really enjoyed the double battles and I would like to see a fan-made game based on double battles. It could also have an emphasis on moves made for doubles like helping hand, wide guard by giving them a TM or move tutor status.

There would be additional themes for gym leaders in this hack as well such as surf+water absord/storm drain, trick room team, tailwind team, earthquake + flying/levitate etc.

I don't know if doubles are popular enough though, I still think they're under appreciated. I'd prefer 4th gen+ mechanics though, pokemon essential mechanics for doubles are still at 3rd gen afaik.

Crimson Hunter

Pichu lover <3
Years
I think many thing can make or break a pokemon game all the things im about to say will almost never happen but hey game freak must pay attention to there fans after all we did get a anime with the original red so let me take a crack at it
1. All 1000+ pokemon catchable including starters you may ask what do you mean 1000 + well lets take into account all the forms,eveolutions, plus i expect a good pokemon game to update as soon as gamefreak makes a new region with new pokemon
2. Major type changing for starters electivire and magmotar WHY ARE THEY NOT FIGHTING ASWELL AS FIRE AND ELECTRIC scyther and gyarados (if you have a flying type why can you not learn any flying type moves)?!!
3. every singal region adding more also ( all people do is cry when they hear all regions if you don want dont play its as simple as that) also why not have a fresh start system also you cannot catch a pokemon that you got over level 50 in the region before so you would want to force yourself to go and use nu pokemon first so you will conserve intell the very last region.
4. pokemon follow you duh i shouldnt even have to explain why that made yellow and hg/ss the best pokemon games
5.completley mmorpg it will be a 3d model 3rd person shooter like wow but gamefreak will make 10x the revenue also fighting and trading with other people will be revelutionised and the update with new region thing will take a little update also people could make there own servers making you live your own singleplayer or multiplayer experience excluding some pokemon or regions maybe even remakeing some pokemon hacks or making your own special pokemon editing the battle system to have unlimited moves like super pokemon eevee edition or grapchics to be 1st gen or 2th gen
6. get rid of the dang trade evolution system we didnt like it in 1st gen we dont like it now seriously what if you trade your electabuzz for a machoke and the guy wont give it back that happens all the time it isnt just mmo's in the future if you blame someone gamefreak for people missing there magmotar and gengar for level 5 rattata its you guys.

Well Thats my list I Know it long but if you want a perfect pokemon game some of these are valied points also sorry for gramar kinda in a hurry ;) (pre ordering x and y yay)

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
3. every singal region adding more also ( all people do is cry when they hear all regions if you don want dont play its as simple as that) also why not have a fresh start system also you cannot catch a pokemon that you got over level 50 in the region before so you would want to force yourself to go and use nu pokemon first so you will conserve intell the very last region.

Someone didn't read this thread at We had a giant argument about this topic.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Smarter AI, prioritizing movesets, making sure each skill is compatible with the entire party (do not know if this is all handled inside, it has been a while since I checked through).

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I think many thing can make or break a pokemon game all the things im about to say will almost never happen but hey game freak must pay attention to there fans after all we did get a anime with the original red so let me take a crack at it
1. All 1000+ pokemon catchable including starters you may ask what do you mean 1000 + well lets take into account all the forms,eveolutions, plus i expect a good pokemon game to update as soon as gamefreak makes a new region with new pokemon
2. Major type changing for starters electivire and magmotar WHY ARE THEY NOT FIGHTING ASWELL AS FIRE AND ELECTRIC scyther and gyarados (if you have a flying type why can you not learn any flying type moves)?!!
4. pokemon follow you duh i shouldnt even have to explain why that made yellow and hg/ss the best pokemon games
5.completley mmorpg it will be a 3d model 3rd person shooter like wow but gamefreak will make 10x the revenue also fighting and trading with other people will be revelutionised and the update with new region thing will take a little update also people could make there own servers making you live your own singleplayer or multiplayer experience excluding some pokemon or regions maybe even remakeing some pokemon hacks or making your own special pokemon editing the battle system to have unlimited moves like super pokemon eevee edition or grapchics to be 1st gen or 2th gen
6. get rid of the dang trade evolution system we didnt like it in 1st gen we dont like it now seriously what if you trade your electabuzz for a machoke and the guy wont give it back that happens all the time it isnt just mmo's in the future if you blame someone gamefreak for people missing there magmotar and gengar for level 5 rattata its you guys.
most of your "make or break" suggestions are very subjective - I myself do like mmorpg's for many reasons, one of which if nothing else is having to deal with other people
1. while I fervently believe one should be able to "catch 'em all" many people don't like this idea, and instead go on and make their own pokemon, and a brand new region with a complete pokedex of new pokemon - many people find it lazy or not challenging enough to make a game that includes existing pokemon, as anyone can do that, though your suggestion is a goal of my own game
2. that is entirely one's opinion, I know many people who would rather have a "canon" fan-game, and don't like major changes in evolutions, typing, and movepools, though you bring up a good point about having a type, but no moves for that type
3. I do not even have to give a response to that...
4. That is not only difficult to implement, but also challenging to manage - and those who have it implemented tend to not share it, and instead keep it as a personal feature for their own games, since they had to do all the work - but again, its subjective as I also know people who hated that part, and thought it should have been very different, or if nothing else, not even implemented

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2013
OK I know this may have been suggested so please excuse me if it has. I've been thinking about creating a new game for ds unfortunately I haven't got the know how nor the resources to do so. But I'm an old school gamer who thinks that the original Gameboy games such as blue, red etc... need a revamp. I would like the idea that Pokémon up to 2nd gen are included but into the storyline of the original games where you start in pallet town and work through. That was my first memory of the Pokémon franchise and I still think they were the best however lacking in visual and usability features so a revamp into lets say HG would be awesome. Any ideas.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
OK I know this may have been suggested so please excuse me if it has. I've been thinking about creating a new game for ds unfortunately I haven't got the know how nor the resources to do so. But I'm an old school gamer who thinks that the original Gameboy games such as blue, red etc... need a revamp. I would like the idea that Pokémon up to 2nd gen are included but into the storyline of the original games where you start in pallet town and work through. That was my first memory of the Pokémon franchise and I still think they were the best however lacking in visual and usability features so a revamp into lets say HG would be awesome. Any ideas.

That would go in this thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305573

Also, if you need graphics, you can browse the resources section here or DeviantART.

Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
In fan-made hacks, I like to see some fakemon or some good artwork. But really, I just want to be able to catch 'em all!
I know it's my destiny!

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
I always want all Unova and Sinnoh pokemons in one game. and how about mega evolution. i want a game with strong pokemons, gym, league and other things. and also some generation vii pokemons in the game. waiting for X and y How great will it be ?

Years
I want a game that is split in 2 versions like the main games, the only difference would be that each version covers 2 regional pokemon, so if you chose version 1 you have Kanto or Johto for example, and if you pick version 2 you have Hoenn and Sinnoh pokemons that you can encounter. also maybe in game trades to get pokemon from the other region.

also little to no grinding would be nice. play through the game until the part with the gym leader/NPC needed to defeat, and make their levels 1-3 levels more than your current pokemon's levels.

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
Years
Hmm, what would be really cool would be a game where it's not all about "Gather 8 gym badges and do the pokémon league".
Maybe a game where the emphasis isn't much on the league, or even rebuild the line to remove badges and the league, and include something new like one of the fangames here has (I forgot its name, but I know there is at least 1 game which has removed the line of badges+league)

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Time for my shopping list when it comes to fangames:

Personally, I'd like to see smaller scopes on fangames. Very few large-scale fangames become a reality; most are abandoned as soon as the project lead decides it's too much work to do "That game where you can see all the Pokemons and go to all teh regions and battle all the evil teams and.." etc, etc. Seriously. Drop it down to a small group, like 100-150 Pokemon that are fun to play, a single region(maybe 2 if you're 100% sure that you can keep it interesting), and try to write compelling characters of your own.

More creativity mechanics-wise. Pokemon Essentials is an AMAZING tool for creating fangames, but I'd like to see less games use it. Why? Because it already HAS the default battle systems. Get creative! There are a few games which use action-based battle systems instead of the standard turn-based, but take it a step further! Remove stuff that would take away from the fun of your game. For instance, what happens if you strip away IVs, natures, and EVs from a Pokemon battle system? You have a game where every instance of a Pokemon's species is the same, yes, but you gain a simpler system where you KNOW where a Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses lie.

Heck, throw out the 6-stat system! Figure out what the basic attributes of a Pokemon are in your world, and come up with a system from that! Take nothing for granted. After all, Pokemon is a world where kids can go on adventures with magic animals. If THAT doesn't spark your imagination, I'm sorry to tell you that maybe game design might not quite be your thing.

All of this kinda boils down to "know what you can do." Packing 720+ monsters into a single game may be a bit extreme, but there's a HUGE realm of possibilities for a Pokemon fangame alone, and I'd really like to see more developers live up to that potential when they come up with a project.

Back