• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Pokemon "gimmick"

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
The unusual Pokemon something unique like Smeargle's Sketch or Chatot's chatter, which ones do you like the most?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Present is a fun move. Wish GFwould add more random effects like 10% to KO or 15% to freeze, thatd be rad.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I always really liked how Burmy would change its appearance based on its environment and then if it was a female and it evolved, it would keep the appearance of it's previous evolution permanently and get a secondary typing and set of attacks based on its appearance.

I thought it was a very interesting gimmick for providing a significant amount of variety to a small evolutionary family.

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
deerling and Sawsbuck's seasonal formes. winter was always my favourite but they all have their own charm to them. they're all still available from certain locations in some games but no longer will the seasons change and their forme along with it.

Years
Now when you say "gimmick"... are we talking specifically about in battle, such as an ability, move or item unique to this pokemon?

Or can we discuss anything about a pokemon that might be considered gimmicky? Let's say a unique method of evolution or a set of requirements that need to be met in order for this Pokemon to appear in the wild?

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Ditto's Transform! I finally got to use a Ditto in Sun, and I just had the most fun siccing my opponent's Pokemon on them. It made me happy seeing those strange sprites fighting loyally beside my character, and coming up with a technique using four completely new moves...I wanted to use Ditto all the time! It even helped me defeat the Totem Mimikyu. :)

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Now when you say "gimmick"... are we talking specifically about in battle, such as an ability, move or item unique to this pokemon?

Or can we discuss anything about a pokemon that might be considered gimmicky? Let's say a unique method of evolution or a set of requirements that need to be met in order for this Pokemon to appear in the wild?

Battle related

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2018
Honestly? Pyukumuku's Innards Out. That surprised the hell out of me the first time I ran across it. I couldn't stop laughing. I hadn't been surprised like that since Shedinja.

Years
Zoroark. I love the idea of this Pokemon. Its fun yet creepy. While its cool watching Zoroark masquerade as another Pokemon in your party and you definitely want to use its unique ability to your advantage to entrap your opponent, its a Pokemon I like because it's not utterly dependent on its ability. It can still be of use once its illusion is broken. Underrated Pokemon in my opinion.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Aerilate, Pixilate, Refrigerate and Galvanize. We need those for every type!!

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
My favorite gimmick is probably Chatot's Chatter- in Generation IV, of course. So gimmicky, it had to be banned. It's a pretty silly and fun-to-use quirk of Chatot.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Honestly? Pyukumuku's Innards Out. That surprised the hell out of me the first time I ran across it. I couldn't stop laughing. I hadn't been surprised like that since Shedinja.
Shedinja for me ^^ Suddenly a new pok?mon in my party??? And nothing can hit it! Until oops it died. It's a really cool idea that forces you to think carefully at times but go all out other times.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I'm on the side of Eevee and his many evolved forms :3

Its so creative and cute and fun ^_^ Also, they're all foxes, which makes me think of my beloved fox-like shiba inu dog :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
There's a poison gimmick on someone, right? I remember thinking there was a cool one, but I'm a total loss for what it actually was right now.

Back