• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Replay value

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'm sure all of us have played the old games more than once. Well. Most of the old games. Some...

Which older pokémon game (before SwoSh) do you think is the most enjoyable to play again? :)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I like replaying the gen 2 games. The art style and atmosphere is comforting for some reason.

Years
nostalgia bias, but the DS games are never not fun for me to replay every now and then. especially platinum and soulsilver!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
nostalgia bias, but the DS games are never not fun for me to replay every now and then. especially platinum and soulsilver!
A lot of people are bothered by the fact that they feel so slow and sluggish. Not you? :)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
A lot of people are bothered by the fact that they feel so slow and sluggish. Not you? :)
It was Diamond/Pearl that were the slow ones, Platinum and HG/SS mostly fixed the sluggishness. It all probably just blends together for most people though

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It was Diamond/Pearl that were the slow ones, Platinum and HG/SS mostly fixed the sluggishness. It all probably just blends together for most people though
Oh, I never played Dia/Pearl much tbh! Only Platinum. Haha, but I thought it was kinda slow too though ;)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I've definitely replayed FireRed and Emerald the most. Neither of them are my favourite games (though I still love them both) but years ago when I played Pokemon a lot more via emulators, DS+ emulators were still laggy and awful and I ended up just emulating the GBA games a lot.

Years
For me it has to be the Gen 5 games and Fire Red/Leaf Green. Gen 5 is my favorite generation so I played all of the Gen 5 games more than once (I think I did about 8 or 9 different Gen 5 playthroughs and I plan to do another one at some point next year). Fire Red and Leaf Green are my favorite remakes and they are super fast to play through compared to most Pokemon games so I played through these games about 4 or 5 times so far. Now that I think about it I also played through Gen 2 games a few times, only once through Gold but three times through Crystal.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
In my opinion, only gens 2-5 have replay value. Deleting gen six and seven game saves is impossible for me since my r button is broken anyway. I would replay gen six to begin with, considering it's my least favorite generation, however.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
it's RSE for me lol it's what i know the best and it's just easy to get through esp for challenges. i know where the hidden items are, i've basically perfected my strategy for how and when i explore certain places, it's just Peak for me i have no joke probably played them through well over 100 times.

i will also toss in that GSC, HGSS, BW, and BW2 have great replay value. hell i will even say FRLG even though i have my grievances with it now, i played it a shit ton when i was a kid. some of my first monotypes were done on LG. plus idk man advance gen is just. it move so fast LOL you can get through stuff so quickly. i like to replay gen 1 too tbh it's just Comfy to me.

Last edited:
Years
I like replaying the gen 2 games. The art style and atmosphere is comforting for some reason.

I always think this until I try to play Crystal again. I absolutely adore the art of gen two and the pallete they use is beautiful but my god the grind walls in that game suck. I also am not a fan of the old physical special split which is why I opt for HG/SS over G/S/C but I completely understand replaying them because even though it's a grind I'll do it just for the art and the music.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
For me it's the first three generations that hold a lot of replay value. I'd say their "lack" of content is what makes them easy to hop into, there's no ten million features that need to be explained to you, the story is very barebones as well. Even gen 3 was still not as story heavy as the follow up generations. Then every generation has its own quirks that make for a lot of fun.

gen 1's inherent brokenness which a lot of people hate, but I like it because that factor allows for a lot of creativity making basically every playthrough a completely different experience.

gen 2's what I consider the hardest of the main line games and it still comes with a lot of the benefits that earlier generations had. It's the approach to the difficulty that I find particularly interesting as you can actually come up with some interesting strategies due to the still limited options in terms of movepools and items as well as the way they discourage people from grinding, something that seemingly nobody ever realized that that's what they were doing.

gen 3's blend between story and exploration feels like the best it's ever been for a Pokemon game. You have your basic modern Pokemon plot but not as prevalent as nowadays, as well a bunch of hidden places that hold some sort of reward for discovering, e.g. all the diving spots in Hoenn.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Any GB or GBC game is replayable for me...it allows me to challenge myself differently. Also, Pokemon X/Y is also replayable for me...really wish it had more content after the story!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I always think this until I try to play Crystal again. I absolutely adore the art of gen two and the pallete they use is beautiful but my god the grind walls in that game suck. I also am not a fan of the old physical special split which is why I opt for HG/SS over G/S/C but I completely understand replaying them because even though it's a grind I'll do it just for the art and the music.

I don't think there's much of a grind wall, but I see it as more an incentive to use a different playstyle.

You won't be able to brute force certain bosses in crystal. For example, Whitney's Miltank and Clair's Kingdra (Even Chuck's Poliwrath and that super high leveled houndoom in the rocket base) are all examples. It gives more of an incentive to use other strategies rather than brute force. I almost never grind, but have had great success against the bosses. I'll sacrifice one pokemon using flash as many times as possible, another lowering defense, then go in with a physical attacker.

I was about 10 levels below Lance, but was able to beat half his team with a stalling Crobat (Attract + Confuse Ray). Currently have a corsola on my team and it's equally valuable. Part of why these are my favorite games in the series. It encourages uniqueness. I've tried these games with an optimal strong team, and actually found myself struggling more.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
I can replay almost every single mainstream Pokemon game-- with the exception of certain ones like Diamond/Pearl , I'd rather play Platinum 😄

HG/SS are one of my biggest addictions, I can grind it just for the music and graphics, but also for the general nostalgia 😌

I literally own a custom GBA Macro XL that I built to play Generation 3 Pokemon games- I also own an original GameBoy not color! to relive the old days 😄

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I've replayed Gen 3 and Gen 4 many times before, though I'm not so keen on replaying the games before or after those generations these days

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
Generation 4 & Generation 5. Definitely.

Huh? Everyone was bothered by the fact that they feel slow and sluggish? I never noticed it or even knew anyone else did 😳

Back