• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watching Anime and Storages

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
So, how do you normally watch anime? Do you watch on TV or stream online to save your space? Or either download or wait 'til the DVD releases for collecting purposes?

If you download, you're more than welcome to show off your storage. Not like anyone can beat dero's 892 GB Satoshi's 1,18 TB Reisen's six 2-3 TB external harddisks of Anime haha. God, you peeps and your crazy storage. I only have 656 GB lol.

If you buy the DVDs, then show off your DVD racks.

Also, refrain from mentioning any streaming sites or download sites over here. We're not here to promote illegal sites, and it's against PC rules. Instead, go to Crunchyroll or FUNimation if you want a legal streaming site. Just a brief mention to you 'muricans who have no knowledge about said sites.

I'll be sure to report every single illegal site you mention, so please don't make me do so. :D

Last edited:
Years
Eh? I thought most Westerners knew about the legal streaming sites? But yes, I watch my anime on Crunchyroll, FUNimation, or even Netflix. My local library has lots of anime shows and films to check out! I have also watched shows with friends via Hulu or the DVDs they bought. I have a few anime DVDs myself, but not enough to show off. Currently, I no longer have extended cable, but in the past I also watched anime on Adult Swim and Anime Network. Also, once in a blue moon, there may be an anime film showing in theaters.

I have never downloaded anime in my life. What's the point? ~_~

Last edited:

Candy

Years
Eh? I thought most Westerners knew about the legal streaming sites?

You'd be surprised at the amount of illegal streamers out there.

I have never downloaded anime in my life. What's the point?

If you're in my country with no access to those sites and with DVDs here being pirated, then either you stream or you download illegally.

As for me, I download mainly for re-watching purposes though. Plus, with my current internet situation, I have to download or the buffering will take forever with my speed. And I don't like buffering while watching.

pkmin3033

I download it whilst it airs and then watch it all when it's finished; I hate waiting for new episodes every week. I will occasionally make exceptions, but for the most part that's how I watch. Streaming is unreliable for me because my internet connection is temperamental at best.

In terms of storage...my current anime folder is 122GB, but I have an external 1TB HD with a lot of old shows on it I've enjoyed and re-watch every now and then...that's got about 200GB on it, although I'm frequently adding and deleting stuff on it.

I do have a few DVDs of series I've particularly enjoyed, though - Gurren Lagann, FMA Brotherhood, Ghost in the Shell, etc - as they've been affordable. Part of the problem with anime DVDs is that they're outrageously expensive: I'm not paying over £30+ for five or six episodes! I try to support my favourites where I can, but when the asking price is what I could expect to pay for a DVD boxset of an entire live action TV series and it rarely drops significantly in price...well. I'm not made of money. Charge me a reasonable price and I'll support you; try and bleed my wallet dry and I'll get it for free elsewhere. Simple as that, really.

When streaming sites start subbing everything I want to watch, I'll start paying for them. Until then, I refuse to. I want a complete service.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I use Crunchyroll, Hulu, Netflix and X illegal site for things that are currently airing. I don't download, I do most of my watching via streaming or I watch whatever's on tv. I enjoy watching what's on Toonami sometimes because it's like a refresher course that you don't really have to pay attention to to get the gist of what's going on.

Candy

Years
In terms of storage...my current anime folder is 122GB, but I have an external 1TB HD with a lot of old shows on it I've enjoyed and re-watch every now and then...that's got about 200GB on it, although I'm frequently adding and deleting stuff on it.

I should really learn from your example...

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
Years
I stream anime from an illegal site off my PS4 (which is good because I can watch and go on my PC at the same time :D)

I don't really download anime (unless it's something that I plan on watching in the future where I won't have internet). I never re-watch an anime, gotta watch-em all!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Not like anyone can beat dero's 892 GB of Anime haha. Mine is only 656 GB hahaha...
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
j03jJGt.png

Oh crap, that's more than I expected...
And that's just one folder... xD It doesn't include this cour's ongoings, 200GBs of want to watch anime on another HDD, 400GB on another HDD, and crapload of burned DVDs xD

So from this list, you can guess that I prefer downloading =D

Candy

Years
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
j03jJGt.png

Oh crap, that's more than I expected...
And that's just one folder... xD It doesn't include this cour's ongoings, 200GBs of want to watch anime on another HDD, 400GB on another HDD, and crapload of burned DVDs xD

Updated my first post, 'cause good lord, that's a lot of anime.

In all seriousness, I just got the HDD I used to store my 656 GB of anime last year and I'm already halfway towards needing to get a new one.

Years
Welp I have like 44 series/movies on my HDD. Around 350 GB's. I have a lot more series which I want to watch, but if I add more and more stuff I'm sure I will watch less and less. Strange mindset hah.

As seen above I download. I would love to buy my stuff(I prefer to have physical copies), but here I just don't have a lot of choices. I'm still a student. But even when I graduate the normal salary here just isn't enough to buy manga/manga and to cover living expenses. I thought about saving up some cash and at least buying one blu-ray or manga, but the shipping prices were more than half of the damn product.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
I stream old shows that have already aired and download up to 3 shows for seeding on sites and watching fansubbed versions.

Years
I used to be so big on using torrent sites for getting my anime. I went a bit hog-wild on downloading series (that weren't licensed here yet) way back when. I'm not even sure how big my collection got, and I'm pretty sure I don't have most of it anymore to check. Maybe a few things left on my external drive, but most of what I had is gone by now. No big deal.

Nowadays I just rely on Crunchyroll for the majority of my anime fixes. I've bought a few anime dvds (okay mostly just my Slayers stuff), but now with the legal streaming out there I'm not as willing to put money down on sets. Willing to pay streaming sites, yes, but not buy actual sets. :P

Candy

Years
I stream old shows that have already aired

Ah right, I forgot to mention that I also stream when it comes to old shows, unless it happens to be popular enough for a batch download/torrent to happen. Otherwise... proxy server set to US and stream at the legal sites that hosts them.

It lags terribly even for an anime short so I won't even bother streaming shows unless it's my last option.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Not like anyone can beat Satoshi's 1,18 TB of Anime

Pfft. I have a pile of 6 external hard drives filled with anime/manga/doujins that come in at 2 or 3 TB each.

I have never downloaded anime in my life. What's the point? ~_~

Hmm... I probably can't list all the reasons, but I'll try:

- 1080p
- No buffering
- Widest selection
- Offline availability
- Instant play (after downloading)
- ~3 minutes to download

But yeah, I'm a huge torrenter. It's no less legal than free streaming sites, and the experience is so much better. I won't ever go back to those lossy and unclear images again. Buffering was also a huge problem, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that either. Another perk is that old series can be downloaded entirely at once.

Years
Pfft. I have a pile of 6 external hard drives filled with anime/manga/doujins that come in at 2 or 3 TB each.

Hmm... I probably can't list all the reasons, but I'll try:

- 1080p
- No buffering
- Widest selection
- Offline availability
- Instant play (after downloading)
- ~3 minutes to download

But yeah, I'm a huge torrenter. It's no less legal than free streaming sites, and the experience is so much better. I won't ever go back to those lossy and unclear images again. Buffering was also a huge problem, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that either. Another perk is that old series can be downloaded entirely at once.
Ah... I see now. Thanks for explaining to me.
I've never had issues with buffering, or internet connection and I've been content with the quality of visuals no matter what device I'm using to watch anime. (I use my netbook computer, and sometimes my PS Vita and PS3 by using Crunchyroll/Netflix apps.)

Though I've been a long time anime fan, I'm certain I watch significantly less anime per season than most of you. I often only get around to watching some shows years after they initially aired. x'D

I think the main reason I don't download other than saving space and such is that I don't wanna get malware of some sort onto my PC if I can help it.

Oh yeah! Yet another way I've watched anime is through official Youtube channels, such as FUNimation and Nozomi Entertainment's channels. We in this new century have it easier than the folks of yesteryear as far as access to anime!

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
You people and your large scale external hard drives scare me xD

I'm a streamer. More or less it's effort - a.k.a) I'm too lazy to download anime and store it on hard drives. A lot of time I'll just even stream it on the uni computers before or after class and it's not like I'll watch it when I have no net access. I don't have problems with buffering and I don't mind the quality as long as it's decent.
I usually do a 50/50 between illegal streaming as well as streaming with Crunchyroll or AnimeLab (since Funimation doesn't cover NZ).

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
Also, refrain from mentioning any streaming sites or download sites over here. We're not here to promote illegal sites, and it's against PC rules. Instead, go to Crunchyroll or FUNimation if you want a legal streaming site. Just a brief mention to you 'muricans who have no knowledge about said sites.

It's not a matter of not knowing, a lot of people here just prefer to download. I know plenty of people who do either or both, not to mention FUNimation and Crunchyroll are incredibly well known over here. Crunchyroll has commercials now, too :P All about preference.

I don't really care to download anime. Watching on FUNimation or Crunchyroll is good enough for me, since pretty much anything can usually be found on either. I just don't like having the clutter on my laptop; I'm terrible at organization ;u;

Back