• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what graphic program

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2015
Hi guys, what graphic programs do you use for image retouching and editing? I cant afford Photoshop so need something else, any recommendations?

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I personally use GIMP... Don't expect it to be Photoshop because it really isn't... Its workflow uses a very different paradigm than Photoshop's does. But it is definitely a capable editor if you get used to it... It's free too.

For example, my avatar was cropped out of a Pixiv image using its path tool:
Spoiler:

My only complaint is that between the major releases (Doesn't happen often, once every few years maybe.) they may change the paradigm slightly, like how you have to export to other file formats as opposed to just saving with the preferred file extension now. (This wasn't in GIMP 2.6.)

Last edited:

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I use Photoshop CS6, but since you're probably interested in the alternatives, try Paint.net if you want something that is like Paint, but with some Photoshop features. If you're looking for something more advanced, try GIMP (you don't exactly have a choice is you're using OS X and Linux here.)

Years
I'm personally a Photoshop guy, but gave Paint.NET a go a while back, and was quite pleased with its simplicity, and ability to open .psd files if you have the right extension.

If you don't mind an older version of Photoshop, though, Adobe has all of CS2 up for download on their website, for free. Apparently they didn't mean to upload it for everybody, but they still haven't taken it down from their site, even after it was brought to their attention. Sure, you won't get all the features the newer versions offer, but basic users should be able to do everything they need to with CS2.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2015
Thanks guys! I dont need anything too fance but I still think Ill try GIMP, seems ok even if a bit confusing. Is it capable of doing things that photoshop can, like changing resolution, color mode and stuff? Because I need to get some stuff sent to my printer (print24) and need to adjust them apparently. :paranoid: Has anyone tried Pixelmator? Its like 15 dollars so not too bad. Maybe ill get the free trial...

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I use whatever's the most convenient. That can be anything from Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign if necessary, and MSPaint.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Thanks guys! I dont need anything too fance but I still think Ill try GIMP, seems ok even if a bit confusing. Is it capable of doing things that photoshop can, like changing resolution, color mode and stuff? Because I need to get some stuff sent to my printer (print24) and need to adjust them apparently. :paranoid: Has anyone tried Pixelmator? Its like 15 dollars so not too bad. Maybe ill get the free trial...

Yep... Color mode is in "Image > Mode"
And if by "changing resolution", you mean scaling images to different sizes, that is in "Image > Scale image..." but if you just mean making the picture size bigger or smaller without affecting your layers or image, that would be in "Image > Canvas Size..." :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
GIMP 2.6 and XnView, two things my avatars usually go through.
The former actually makes the latter redundant, but I've aways worked with them together. XnView is still worth looking at if you're after a light program and not to make pixel-specific edits. If nothing else, it's a nice replacement/addition for/to the default image viewer Windows offers, especially with the extensive context menu integration. I've also always used the rather old Microsoft GIF Animator for putting frames together for animations, again since it's less cumbersome than GIMP. As for the version of GIMP I use, it's probably not important, just what I am personally used to.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2015
Ok thanks, PS CS2 is really old though :D But if ts free then sweet!

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I use Photoshop CS5 and CS6 depending on which operating system. I used to use Illustrator CS5 as well.

Back