• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opposites for Pokemon Types

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I have recently thinking about this: What if there was a parallel universe with opposite Pokemon type elements. Here are some that I brainstormed.

Grass - Rock
Fire - Ice
Water - Salt
Electric - ?
Bug - ?
Flying - Ground
Ground - Flying
Normal - Ghost
Ghost - Normal
Fighting - Psychic
Psychic - Fighting
Rock - Grass
Steel - Rubber
Poison - Medical
Dark - Light
Dragon - ?
Ice - Fire
Fairy - Demon

The reason behind these opposites? Fire/Ice and Flying/Ground are obvious examples, when others I found on the internet, as guesses to opposites of real-life elements. Ghost and Normal have always been parallel, which Psychic and Fighting are equivalent to brain and brawn. As for the rest with question marks, maybe you guys can help me here.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Not exactly sure where you're going with the parallel universe.

And tbh, I always thought of Fire/Water as opposites. Salt could be equivalent to rock in some ways.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
tbh, I always thought of Fire/Water as opposites. Salt could be equivalent to rock in some ways.
Salt is also known as Rock Salt, so I agree on that.

There can be more than one opposite you know, such as my belief that the opposite of Ice would be an imaginary Glue-type. Friction-wise they're the complete opposite to one another.

Steel's opposite could also be a fictional Mud-type, as Mud doesn't rust, sticks to your body, and finally not a good surface to clean on unlike the Steel-typing.

Electric really is a standalone typing, as the only opposite thing I can think of are positive and negative charges. :P Bug is just a category of a list of different animal types. Normal could also be the opposite of Dragon, as Dragons are also fake in nature just like Ghosts.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Not exactly sure where you're going with the parallel universe.

And tbh, I always thought of Fire/Water as opposites. Salt could be equivalent to rock in some ways.

Whether its a parallel universe or a whole other planet, I originally started this idea when I started changing the color scheme on Bulbasaur (based on its inverted counterpart).

This is a draft of what I've been working on:

Spoiler:

Just inverted this image and you'll see what I mean.

Then I figured, if I can invert the colors, why not invert the type elements too, which is why this thread is here.

I wasn't going to reveal this information yet, but I could not for the life of me figure out the opposite of electricity/lightning, insects, or dragons. I don't even know how insects are super-effective against Psychic and Dark types.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I don't even know how insects are super-effective against Psychic and Dark types.

Psychic represents the mind and insects is a common fear of the mind. Not sure with Dark type though.
Fire and Ice would be an interesting yet very abstract typing.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Well this is where I got the idea of gas being electricity's opposite:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_opposite_of_electric

But seeing as how this is false and Boilburn's explanation makes more sense,

If electricity generates power to homes and appliances, what element causes blackouts?

I need an answer, or else I'm going have to start calling it "R(Reverse)-Electric".

Years
There's really no opposite for electric types; Reverse-Electric makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe you're looking for insulators?

Years
Well in mythology Knights usually fought Dragons. So for the opposite of Dragon it should be Knights or the Dragonborn.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
Ohhhhh! I think I could have some fun with this.

Grass - Metal
If you think of 'grass' as representing nature and 'metal' as representing technology it kind of makes sense. Basically a nature versus technology type of deal.

Fire - Water
This is a pretty common train of thought. It applies to most classical element systems throughout mythology.

Water - Fire

Electric - Magnet
While certainly related I don't know if it's fair to say electricity and magnetism are the same thing. However magnets can be used to generate an electric current and an electric current can be used to generate magnetic waves. They aren't opposites in the sense that they foil each other but they kind of counter one another in a way.

Bug - Cell
This one certainly is a tough one. Since it is really more of description than an element I'm inclined to go with some other form of description or classification. I think cells work nicely because they do contrast with bugs (ignore that bugs are made of cells) fairly well. Bugs have exoskeletons while cells have membranes. Bugs typically live in dry environments while cells typically inhabit moist ones. Bugs are complex organisms while cells are simplistic (To a degree, this is actually subjective.)

Flying - Ground
Since I typically view 'flying' as a 'wind' type more than a 'bird' type I would go with this one.

Ground - Flying

Normal - Normal
Who says an inverse can't be itself? Mathematics would beg to differ. For what 'Normal' is supposed to be I think it makes sense for normal to be an opposite to itself.

Ghost - Fairy
This one would vary greatly depending on which definitions and lore on ghosts and fairies you are drawing from. For me, I see fairies as being spirits of nature and ghosts as being spirits of civilization. It goes back, kind of, to nature vs technology but not really. Essentially I tend to view ghosts as being the product of people in some shape or form and faeries as being the product of nature.

Fighting - Peace
Fighting is one of those elements that really doesn't seem like an 'element' and is more like a temperament. It would make sense for a fighting type to thus be a piece type. It could be some kind of Pokemon based more on support than damage.

Psychic - Dull
The main concept behind the psychic type is having immense intelligence that allows you to essentially manipulate the world on a higher level of understanding than your average person can perceive. So the opposite of a psychic could be either 'normal' or 'dull.'

Rock - Paper
This one is mostly a pun on Rock, Paper, Scissors. It also kind of works on a general level. Rocks are hard, paper is soft. Rocks are rigid, paper is flexible.

Steel - Grass

Poison - Cure
Just a little bit more specific than 'Medical.'

Dark - Justice
In Japan the 'Dark' type is called 'Evil.' Good sounded kind of lame to me so I went with justice. They could have a hero motif.

Dragon - Serpent
Dragons typically have a very rich and regal lore. They are viewed as celestial in nature, to a degree. Serpents on the other hand are frequently evil creatures that have been cast down from the heavens. Yeah, Christianity definitely puts that out there but its a common element in mythology in general. There's also the aspect of dragons being capable of flying while serpents are stuck to the ground.

Ice - Steam
This one is one I'm not super happy with :/ .
Ice is just water in a different state of matter. I almost don't feel like it should be a type on that principle alone. But since ice is water as a solid I decided to make its inverse water as a gas.

Fairy - Ghost

EDIT:
A few other possibilities:
Electric - Ground
Since the process of getting something to lose some of its charge is by grounding it. (With the ground being about the best option for discharging electrons).

Flying - Rock
Again, using 'flying' as 'wind' if we thought of rock as being 'earth' it could fit in with the classic Greek elements.

Last edited:
Back