• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you thought about Poke'mon, that now you realize were wrong

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
On the note of all of this mispronunciation business, Cilan. None of this "SAI-lin" crap, I say it like "see-LON" to preserve the cilantro pun!

Reading all of these posts is teaching me a lot about proper pronunciations, actually. I didn't know that Giratina had a J sound, or that Rayquaza is actually pronounced in the stupidest way possible!

Hang on, this video ought to smooth things out here...

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
I pronounce Groudon "Grew-Don" and I'm not going to stop :P
I used to think flying types were SE against themselves and that Ice was SE against Fighting types.

Oh, and A+B+Down= Captured Pokemon. This I still do...and it works :D

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
I pronounce Groudon "Grew-Don" and I'm not going to stop :P
I used to think flying types were SE against themselves and that Ice was SE against Fighting types.

Oh, and A+B+Down= Captured Pokemon. This I still do...and it works :D

Well you do know Down+B is actually a thing, right?

Sometimes I do Down, and then go around the D-Pad in a circle. That's how I caught Mewtwo in a Poke' Ball, finally. Of course I weakened him and he was asleep, but when I did that, it finally landed him.

But yea, Down+B is real.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
WHAAA OH MY GOD CLAYDOL'S FACE IS LIKE A BUNCH OF OWLS

So like I can't be the only one that didn't notice that.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Back then I always thought Pokérus was a bad thing to the point that I restart the Ruby gameplay and trying my best to avoid it to infect my Pokémon. After some years later, I found out that Pokérus is the quick stat-raiser, which means it's a good thing after all.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I got into Pokemon during the late 90's and I'm still unsure about exactly what types poison is strong or weak against. I guess we all have weird gaps in knowledge.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I got into Pokemon during the late 90's and I'm still unsure about exactly what types poison is strong or weak against. I guess we all have weird gaps in knowledge.

Interesting point. I always thought Poison hits Water-types supereffectively when I first played Pokemon; and during a competitive battle I hit a Poison-type with Fairy-type move, thinking it would hit super-effectively, but instead resisting it. I must've confused it with the Psychic-type; I guess I have been fooled by the color similarity between the Fairy and Psychic-types. {D:}

Years
When I play competitively (e.g. Showdown/Pokemon Online) I always forget that Steel
no longer resist dark and ghost-type attacks.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
When I was little I thought vitamins took immediate effect, but I was wrong lol. Didn't know about friendship evolutions so I always thought Eevee evolved into Espeon or Umbreon with Moon and Sun Stone. Yea I was a dumb kiddie.

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
When I was little I thought vitamins took immediate effect, but I was wrong lol. Didn't know about friendship evolutions so I always thought Eevee evolved into Espeon or Umbreon with Moon and Sun Stone. Yea I was a dumb kiddie.

Sadly, my first Umbreon was in Y. Though it's one of my favorite Pokes. I never knew how to do the friendship thing in Gold, either =/

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
When I thought you need to level up Nosepass anywhere to evolve to Probopass, but you needed to lvl Nosepass up in the Chargestone Cave.

Years
I used to pronounce "Blaziken" with the "a" as in "cat" and "Rayquaza" with the second "a" as in "father". I'm not sure how you're supposed to articulate "Groudon" or "Kyogre", as I've never seen episodes of the show or movies concerning them and my friends all have their own pronunciations.

Also, am I the only one who's never said "Ratatat" instead of "Rattata"? :/

Yeah, I started with the games in the early 2000s and I still can never remember how Bug matches up with Fighting. I also used to think Fire was super-effective against Electric for some reason.

Interesting point. I always thought Poison hits Water-types supereffectively when I first played Pokemon; and during a competitive battle I hit a Poison-type with Fairy-type move, thinking it would hit super-effectively, but instead resisting it. I must've confused it with the Psychic-type; I guess I have been fooled by the color similarity between the Fairy and Psychic-types. {D:}
I find Fairy's matchups to be pretty counterintuitive. (Of course, this makes some sense considering it's just a balancing, anti-game-breaking measure under a facade of logic.)

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
I used to pronounce "Blaziken" with the "a" as in "cat" and "Rayquaza" with the second "a" as in "father". I'm not sure how you're supposed to articulate "Groudon" or "Kyogre", as I've never seen episodes of the show or movies concerning them and my friends all have their own pronunciations.

Also, am I the only one who's never said "Ratatat" instead of "Rattata"? :/

O_o

I'm not sure how Rayquaza is supposed to be pronounced, but if it's anything other than (Ray-Kwaw-zuh) then it probably sounds stupid. That is the only way it can sound OK. It flows well. If it's (Ray-kway-zuh) that's just stupid.

And I HATE when people say Ratatat. IT'S NOT SPELLED THAT WAY AT ALL!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
For the longest time, I thought Ice was supereffective against Bug, when its not. Doesn't make much sense to me. Bugs don't do so well in the cold...

And then I have this thing on how to pronounce Kyurem. I usually say "kai-u-rem", but the anime does it like "kee-u-rem". And I know that "ky" makes a "kee" sound (with Japanese stuff anyway). I'll read any other word or name like that; like Kyoko I'll prounounce "kee-yo-ko". Don't know whats up with me.

And I really don't like the way the anime says Rayquaza. I don't like there being a long a sound in the middle there...

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Another thought just came into my head. I thought that Battle items (such as the X Attack, Dire Hit etc.) would behave just like the other items and make a difference on the Pokemon that holds it. There was one situation in Pokemon White where I took my Thundurus down to the Battle Subway with him holding the X Sp. Def item, because I was expecting an Ice Beam from Simipour if it entered the battlefield, so that I could easily retaliate with Thunderbolt. When Simipour came he still managed to OHKO my Thundurus with Ice Beam and that was when I thought "These sorts of items don't seem to have any effect at all." It took me a very long time to realize that.

Disappointing though because these items would've been so valuable (or even make the item overpowered in comparison to the others) if they worked.

Last edited:
Years
I used to think HP Ups were like Potions, but only restored 1 HP. I figured they were Veblen goods among players of the games, like the expensive ribbons in Gen IV.

For the longest time, I thought Ice was supereffective against Bug, when its not. Doesn't make much sense to me. Bugs don't do so well in the cold...
Compared to real insects, Bug-type is OP all around. Real bugs would be weak against Water, Electric, Poison, Ice, Dragon, and even Normal. (Let's face it: insects are the punching bags of the animal kingdom, along with fish.)

And I really don't like the way the anime says Rayquaza. I don't like there being a long a sound in the middle there...
I refuse to say "Grau-don" or "Kai-oh-ger." It just sounds dumb.

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
I though Kyogre was Ki - yo - gree. I thought Bugsy was a girl. I thought Phanpy was Fan - fee. I thought Groudon was a fire type. I thought Mewthree exists.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I though Kyogre was Ki - yo - gree. I thought Bugsy was a girl. I thought Phanpy was Fan - fee. I thought Groudon was a fire type. I thought Mewthree exists.

Wait, Phanpy isn't pronounced "fan-fee"? How the hell are you suppossed to pronounce it then?

Years
I've misread so many pokemon names:
I thought Electabuzz was written "Electrabuzz", Regigigas was "Regigas" (Gas regi sounded better than gigas regi), Magmortar was "Magmotar", there's probably many more but I can't just remember them anymore.

And I always thought Pineco and Forretress (Which I thought was written "Forrtress" until just now..) were rock type pokemon. (Even nowadays I still think that water is super-effective on Forretress.)

Back