• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Assistance with Pokemon Ruby,Stuck at normans gym

DarkEmeraldRarity

Love-Crazy and Music Mad
Years
Hey All,I've been stalled with Norman no matter which pokemon i use first,I fail
Team:
Zangoose
Slash
Fury Cutter
Rock Smash
Quick attack
Level 21

Anorith
lv.20
Scratch
Cut
Mud Sport
Water gun

Marshtomp
lv.30
Mud Shot
Rock Tomb
Mud slap
Water Gun

Swellow
lv.22
Peck
Wing attack
Steel Wing
Quick Attack

Kirila
Growl
Calm Mind
Confusion
Teleport
Lv. 22

I have no tm's and I need ideas,i keep getting beaten by Slakoth to easy

I'm tired of losing

Also,I'm carrying an egg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Hmm... But of course.

Norman has Pokemon ranging from Level 28 to 31. He has Slaking and Vigoroth, so defeating him is pretty tough. Your Pokemon are in the 20s range, and only your Marshtomp is level 30. You'll need to level up all your Pokemon to at least level 28 if you wanna have a shot at beating Norman. Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Hey there.

Get a fighting type. Norman is a normal-type user, which makes him weak to fighting type moves. Shroomish evolves into Breloom at level 23, or you can use a Makuhita.

Level up as suggested.

Slaking only moves every other turn, so you can sacrifice a Pokemon in the turn he moves, then switch into your fighting type to inflict damage. Rinse, repeat. Do not inflict status conditions on Slaking, because you will power up his Facade. However, if you use Breloom, you can use Leech Seed on him.

King Of Pokemon

Pokemon King
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2014
Hey there.

Get a fighting type. Norman is a normal-type user, which makes him weak to fighting type moves. Shroomish evolves into Breloom at level 23, or you can use a Makuhita.

Level up as suggested.

Slaking only moves every other turn, so you can sacrifice a Pokemon in the turn he moves, then switch into your fighting type to inflict damage. Rinse, repeat. Do not inflict status conditions on Slaking, because you will power up his Facade. However, if you use Breloom, you can use Leech Seed on him.

My suggestion is a combo of the above, level them up and get a fighting type
I suggest breloom as they are so awesome {:3}

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
My suggestion is a combo of the above, level them up and get a fighting type
I suggest breloom as they are so awesome {:3}

Breloom with Mach Punch would be Ideal to have. Mach Punch has a +1 Priority so it'll move first even if the pokemon is slow. It's attack power is 40 and has 100& Accuracy. If you can get a Black belt somehow, then you'll be good, since it'll boost Mach Punch's power by 20%, which will be 48 in attack power. OR this Force Palm with Black Belt FP Attack power is 60 and has 30% chance of Paralysing your opponent's pokemon. With Black Belt equipped, it's Attack power would be raised to 68.

There are other decent fighting type pokemon like Makuhita. So you have no worries in this Gym match.

But, as said in previous posts, you must level up accordantly, then you'll be successful in your gym battle against Norman. :)

Years
@Twihiki_Amias: Force Palm was not introduced until 4th Gen, this is a 3rd Gen team help thread.

But yeah, my best advice would be to get a Breloom (or any strong Fighting-type) and also, make sure you level up your whole team because you're extremely underleveled, and like what Da_Man32 said, no using status conditions on Slaking due to the power buff that Facade gets if it's statused, and it does have the capability to sweep your team that way. If Breloom has Leech Seed, you can set that up so you can get some healing every turn.

You'll want to be around Level 28-31, maybe higher if you're still failing to defeat him. Rock-types and Steel-types are also resistant to Normal so they can be handy for absorbing hits. Good luck!

Warship

異議あり!
Years
i think you should try to teach one of your pokemon protect, that way you'll have a much better shot at beating those slakings. vigoroth is much harder though but a both defensive and offensive pokemon like hariyama shouldn't have much problem with it.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Yeah, something with Protect or Detect makes this the easiest fight ever. Some of your options and when they learn it:

-Dustox (Lv. 17)
-Pelliper (Lv. 25, right when it evolves)
-Aron (Lv. 34)
-Volbeat (Lv. 29)
-Torkoal (Lv. 27)
-Sableye (Detect, Lv. 25)

I would go with Torkoal, because he would make a good addition to your team regardless. Hope this helps!

Back