• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Slow Speeds on Wifi?

Years
Hello,

earlier this morning I was experimenting with wifi hotspots through ad-hoc networking (curious me >_>) by using internet connection sharing so that I could have a wifi repeater back in my bedroom since the router is on the other side of the house. While trying things out, I discovered that my wifi was acting slow, even as I got back onto the main network.

My problem is, the wifi is still moving slow even after having disconnecting the hotspot after 3-4 hours, rebooting the computer that was the hotspot, rebooting the test computer (my main desktop), and even rebooting the router like 5 times. I have also reinstalled my wifi device several times without any avail.

Its also only affecting my download speed. I should be getting 20-25mb/s down and 15-20 up. I still get the 15-20 up but I've only been getting 5-10 down.

If anyone has a possible solution, thanks! Also, going wired isn't a possibility for now :(

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Reverse any settings you changed and see if your download speed is affected on any other computers. Make sure the adapter you changed to ad-hoc mode is no longer in ad-hoc mode.

For future reference, if you want to create a hotspot, you should check out Virtual Router.

Years
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually feel a bit silly for creating this topic now, because the issue fixed itself within a day or two :embarrass However nowadays my problem is just keeping a stable connection with wifi, because every now and then it gets to the point where my devices (yes, I said devices, because its not just the one wifi device) keeps dropping my home network's connection. Whenever that happens, any other SSIDs that show up around me disappear as well

twocows

Years
You cant really get good fast speeds on ad-hoc.

For future readers, This might help: Use a MAC address changer to change your Wi-Fi hardware MAC address and try again.
I used a MAC changer program on Windows 7 a few months ago. It seems like it was outdated and only worked with XP, as it made my WLAN drivers cause a BSOD as soon as they were loaded (e.g., every startup). I had to go in using safe mode and completely uninstall and reinstall them to fix it.

Also, OP had problems with ALL of his devices having slow speeds. I suspect it was either a problem with his router, one of his devices sucking up bandwidth for something, or an ISP issue. None of those would be fixed by screwing with your MAC address. Most problems that would be fixed by such a maneuver could be fixed by just changing your internal IP, anyway, which is much safer and easier to do.

twocows

Years
See everyone? This is why I adore XP
Because it's over ten years old, buggy as crap, full of security holes, and technically inferior than Win7 in pretty much every way imaginable?

I think the program was just outdated, I'm sure there's a correct way to do it in Win7 but I just haven't bothered to look yet.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
You may also want to change the channel your router is operating on as there might be interference. I've had this problem happen before and didn't realize it. I ended up calling my ISP to complain thinking it was my internet when it was actually the router all along.

Back