• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stuff you use to draw

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
Just wondering what you guys use to draw with. I use a mechanical pencil for first sketch (a 0.7mm Faber-Castell with no-name leads). Then I ink it using felt-tips, one .2 and one about .3 or .4 I think. (They're the only black ink pens I could find in my house.) I either shade in greyscale using various pencils (2B, B, HB, H, 2H and 6B) or I use coloured pencils. I have a couple of Derwents left from when I was seven, some Crayolas, some WH Smiths (Italian brand, very good) and some other things like Alligators. So what do you use?

HAJIME

so's your face
Years
I use whatever is around...

Pencils, pens, chalk, pastle, paint, wax cryons...

My favourite medium is acrylic paint, since watercolour doesnt like me much... To start i pic, i often use those pencil pen things. Ya know with the lead inside that you twist to come down...? There cheep, the leads dont break, the rubbers on the ends are good, there not easily damaged and there are **** good pencils! When i shade i use them too, i dont mess aroudn with those stupid expencive things that are difficult to use.

The attached image is a very rough sketch, i mean litrally. It took me no longer than my lunch break to complete with one fot hose pencil pen thingies...

StarLightUmbreon

Moonlight Traveler
Years
I normal use graphite pencile. Though pastels are what i realy like to use. I also use colored penciles too.

Right now i'm working on my computer art work(well when i have the time).

BTW: Cool pic HAJIME

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
I very rarely use any type of paint, I've got some tubes of Japanese watercolours in my room but it takes too long to mix them... BTW, nice pic Hajime ^^

Zento

Mushroom God
Years
That is a beautiful dragon, Hajime! *-* I envy your pencilling skills!

I normally use a very light pencil for sketching, my extra fine Pilot precise rolling ball pen for inking, and normally Crayola colored pencils for coloring. I normally use what I can scrap though.
I also use various art programs such as Paint Shop Pro 7, Open Canvas, the Gimp, and of course, the all powerful Paint! :P

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 23, 2014
I love pencils. *_* I use all of em HB, 2B 3B... and so on... I also love color pencils, since you can shade easier. n_n

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
I use mechanical pencils, prisma colored pencils to color, and either sharpie or this nice ink pen I don't know the name of to ink and I draw my "good" pictures on bristal board. When I color on the computer, I use mspaint.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 27, 2009
Like most people i draw with a pencil, doesnt matter what kind, it will still end up looking real.

For CG though i use PSP7

Mewstor

Legend Reality
Years
I use mostly mechanical pencils 0.5 and 0.7. I've just started using colored pencils and started colouring my pics.
I hate pencils. I never get any detail done with them cause I'd have to be sharpening the pencils all the time. For example this pic is done on A4 paper with an 0.5 mechanical pencil. I could have never done the details with a normal pencil.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
WHOA. O_O That's all I can say about both of those drawings.

And I suppose that I normally just draw with whatever I can find, but I did get some nice pens the other day at an art store. I have no idea what kind they are.. >_>;

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
Whoa Mewstor, that is some pic! Hm, when I CG I use Freehand and/or Fireworks, but I rarely CG. It takes too long, I don't even have an optical mouse so it's hard to get the fine details.

Q Man

Erm...
Years
*scratches chin* Hmmm... What do I use to draw?...
Well, to bee honest, all I ever use (when I'm at school) is my good ol' trusty 0.5mm mech, and the erasers designed for that model are very nice... I also have some bigger erasers (vinyl) that do bigger erasing jobs... I also keep a piece of sandpaper with me, for when I need to point (Drafter's term for 'sharpen' ) my pencil for fine details... I let the tip get a long, flat area for when I do shading... I used to carry around a couple of blending tools, but I rarely used them, and they got ruined if my backpack were to get wet, so I just leave them at home... The other things I have at home are a bunch of cheap Crayola colored pencils, a Micron (0.20mm) felt tip for inking (though I rarely ink), and a set of pencils, 6B, 4B, HB, 2H, 3H, and 4H...
But, most of my drawing work is done at school (like the one attached below), and in my 45 minute study hall time (the pic below was done from guides to finish in just that one period, and I took another 5 minutes in my next class cleaning a tiny bit up)

Oh, dear! I forgot about what I use on my computer, lol!
For most things (like my avatar/sig, which was done completely by hand, no filters) I use Adobe Photoshop (I just recently got CS, and I'm lovin' it!)... for some other things (high-quality lineart, like my previous avatars) I use Adobe Illustrator (also CS)...

--The pic attached, done in school, 50 minutes, only using 0.5mm mech pencil, no post-scan cleanups--

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I use a lot of different things when it comes to art, but for most of my "standard" pictures, I use my 2H pencil (I erase a lot, so it's useful to have something so light) for the sketching part, a mechanical or HB/2B pencil for outline, and then I'll go on and ink it using one of my standard pens. -_- My mom won't buy me the good felt tip inking pens because they're too expensive, though I've got them on my list for Christmas. :) The pens I'm currently using are those thin ONYX pens, I think. They might be about a 0.3 or something, because they're certainly thinner than my other 0.5 pens. I also use my Prismacolour coloured pencils when I'm colouring things. When I colour things on the computer, I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. It's like Photoshop, but it's cheaper and it apparently doesn't have all of the functions which Photoshop is equipped with. =\ It certainly does the trick for me, though, since I've gotten plenty of compliments about my (awful) CGing and my graphic-making skills. XD;;

Oh... and I use my wonderful Staedtler pencil sharpener and my white eraser of the same brand, of course. :3

HAJIME

so's your face
Years
That dragon is pretty amazing.. see i coudl never do that. My work is quick and simple.. and ermm.. to the point. I can used most mediums.. although im only just adapting to computer art. I'd love to get a tablet...

Ok, heres my best pencil work ever, and a peice i did with watercolours and acrylic. I LOVE acrylic.. simple amazing stuff.. and cheep too. I truly recomend acrylics to anyone who sues water colour. Its one step up and looks good on a veriety of different styles. Great thign is, unlike watercolour you can paint over black with white or yellow.. which is good for me. I make a lot of mistakes.. heh.

Anyoen here ever tried using Oils? Jesus is that hard...

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
All of this stuff is GREAT... Q Man, I can't believe your avatar. I forgot to mention my erasers, I use an "E//RACER" for smaller details and a larger Faber-Castell vinyl eraser for big things, it picks up the marks very well.

Back