• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon Gnosis team is recruiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

Hey, hi, hello friends. The Pokémon Gnosis team is looking for help developing our pokeemerald ROM hack, Pokémon Gnosis. Planning for the hack has been underway since late 2017, though it was only recently that we began serious development after deciding to use the decomps over alternatives like RMXP and Pokémon MK.

What we're making

Gnosis is an open-world ROM hack in an oriental region called Tenso. The game design is inspired by Skyrim, where we basically shove sidequests at the player so fast they can't even figure out what they all mean. There are no restrictions on exploration, and most maps have at least one secret to find. Your only real objective is to reach the other side of the region for a Dragon Festival, where you can face the Elite Dynasty, the most powerful trainers in Tenso. Along the way you'll encounter trial captains, a mysterious vigilante, the sinister Team Naga, an ancient civilization, Tenso Form Pokémon, bizarre fantasy biomes, and maybe a few familiar faces.

The Tenso region features a blend of traditional Pokémon world design with heavily oriental-inspired mythos and a pinch of high fantasy. It's a rural world of vast jungles, windswept deserts, long-abandoned temples, barbarian camps, shaman's towers, and the occasional shining city. The region map is split into 7 provinces, each with a unique tileset, biome and striking colour palette.

Where we're at

Mapping and tile artwork for the first major portion of the game is complete (first 3 towns and areas in between). The high-level writing for the majority of the game is complete and we've pretty much figured out our cast of characters. Pokédex, sprites, and regional variants are fully documented and in the process of being created & implemented. Scripting was waiting on the release of Dragonsbreath to begin and is still in the early stages of getting underway.

XpMScou.png
33.png
b1O5BBx.png
YXpGWzR.gif
mAGOkFT.gif
1uo3vs7.png
5hFFFf7.png
Z2HWi8r.png
NyIylWW.png
oeBoQEB.png
liVmFov.png
apHuly3.png

Screenshots are subject to change.

Who we want

We're actively hiring team members for the following positions:

• Writer
    Gnosis is heavily story based, featuring an open world chalk-full of unique characters, stories and questlines. It also features readable books as featured in the screenshots above. Knowledge of oriental (specifically Chinese but also in general) mythology, traditions and present-day events is an asset but not required.
  • Pixel Artist
    Gnosis heavily uses custom artwork in the style of Generation 3 (specifically, FRLG in the overworld and RSE in battles). These mostly consist of small custom tiles to add decoration and flavour to maps, but sometimes can be more extensive, such as biome tilesets.
  • Concept Artist
    Gnosis has a large cast of characters, some of which we don't have a concrete appearance or identity for yet, along with regional variants and custom Megas that still need design work.
  • Gameplay Developer
    The gameplay developer would design wild encounter lists, trainer parties, and stats or movesets for the Pokémon in the vast world of Gnosis. You would also be advising on mechanical changes or gameplay-related suggestions. Experience with competitive battling is a major asset.

We are not actively hiring for the following positions, but if you are exceptional and interested in helping out, feel free to apply nontheless.

• Mapper
  • Programmer
  • Scripter

I will leave it to applicants to determine how much information to include, but some form of proof of work/experience is required for all applications. I would also appreciate knowing your timezone and Discord account, as we do much of our work over Discord.

Who we have already

Gnosis currently has a medium-sized team. Note that not everyone on the team has a PokéCommunity account so names may not always reflect PC usernames:

• Rainbow
    Game Director, Mapper, Programmer, Writer
  • Rabinov
    Writing Director, Mapper
  • Nina
    Art Director, Pixel Artist
  • Lumialle
    Pixel Artist, Writer
  • Dragon Eternal
    Concept Artist
  • Toby/Sukoshijon
    Composer
  • Avara
    Scripter
  • Gudf
    Programmer
  • tzujm33
    Gameplay Developer
  • DrawnRoughly
    Concept Artist
  • Fluttershy
    Writer
  • V8_Javascript
    Gameplay Developer
  • Tommo
    Concept Artist

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021
I want to apply for the Gameplay Director position.
I have experience in creating wild encounter lists for the Qol and difficulty hack "retrieved Firered". While i didnt change normal Trainers a lot, i completely overhauled the rival, gym, Boss and e4 teams, trying to make those battles more difficult from gym 5 onwards. I included Spaceworld and gen 1 beta mons and i had to create their stats and movesets.
Competetive battling: i was a ladder hero in the x/y ou meta on pokemon showdown and reached the top 10 multiple times with diffrent teams, with rank 2 being my best rank. i also reached the top 10 in the random x/y ladder and reached number 1 in the x/y "no mega" ladder. I sadly dont think i have any proof for those accomplishments as they happened roughly 3-4 years ago,
Discord: tzujm33
timezone: CET

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I want to apply for the Gameplay Director position.
I have experience in creating wild encounter lists for the Qol and difficulty hack "retrieved Firered". While i didnt change normal Trainers a lot, i completely overhauled the rival, gym, Boss and e4 teams, trying to make those battles more difficult from gym 5 onwards. I included Spaceworld and gen 1 beta mons and i had to create their stats and movesets.
Competetive battling: i was a ladder hero in the x/y ou meta on pokemon showdown and reached the top 10 multiple times with diffrent teams, with rank 2 being my best rank. i also reached the top 10 in the random x/y ladder and reached number 1 in the x/y "no mega" ladder. I sadly dont think i have any proof for those accomplishments as they happened roughly 3-4 years ago,
Discord: tzujm33
timezone: CET

You are accepted! Thanks for applying I'll contact you on Discord.

Years
Hey!

I'm interested in the writer position - I'd pretty interested in testing my hand on writing for the game, I've never applied for a launchpad recruitment team before, but this seems pretty interesting. I'm fairly well written and spoken as can be construed from my typing style.

The only major experience I've had with writing outside of random short stories in my personal journal I keep around the house is proof-reading for a Harry Potter fanfiction writer. I also threw some ideas around back a few years ago with Pokemon Prism although most of it was just suggesting ideas, and bantering with other members of Koolboyman's Beta Testing team.

I'm currently taking the time to study the mentioned assets, to further assist me if I should be accepted.

My discord is: Gawerty#0001

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Hey!

I'm interested in the writer position - I'd pretty interested in testing my hand on writing for the game, I've never applied for a launchpad recruitment team before, but this seems pretty interesting. I'm fairly well written and spoken as can be construed from my typing style.

The only major experience I've had with writing outside of random short stories in my personal journal I keep around the house is proof-reading for a Harry Potter fanfiction writer. I also threw some ideas around back a few years ago with Pokemon Prism although most of it was just suggesting ideas, and bantering with other members of Koolboyman's Beta Testing team.

I'm currently taking the time to study the mentioned assets, to further assist me if I should be accepted.

My discord is: Gawerty#0001

Hey! Since you don't have proof of work, would you be willing to write a small story as part of your application? It could be, for example, something set in the Pokemon world, the plot of another ROM hack-style story, or something else. It doesn't have to be long, even a few paragraphs would be fine. You could post it here or PM it to me.

Last edited:
Years
Hey! Since you don't have proof of work, would you be willing to write a small story as part of your application? It could be, for example, something set in the Pokemon world, the plot of another ROM hack-style story, or something else. It doesn't have to be long, even a few paragraphs would be fine. You could post it here or PM it to me.

Hi, I sent my story submission to you via PM!

Even if i'm not what your looking for, I hope you enjoy it!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
YXpGWzR.gif

Wanted to show off some of our fancy new overworld animations! Thanks to ShantyTown for helping me fix an issue with the animation looping.

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
YXpGWzR.gif

Wanted to show off some of our fancy new overworld animations! Thanks to ShantyTown for helping me fix an issue with the animation looping.

by the way is there any public discord server? and what about a beta tester?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
by the way is there any public discord server? and what about a beta tester?

We don't have a discord just for Gnosis but there is a #gnosis channel in the Fangame Hacktory server where I typically post updates. As for beta testing, that's not something that we'll be publicly hiring for (and it's too early to worry about it anyways).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
Need a writer? I have past work experience and have worked for fangames that are still developing eg. Pokémon Calcite and Fierce Melody

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 9, 2019
Hi,

I'm interested in the role of gameplay developer on this project. Though I have had little experience working on a ROM-based game, I've created encounter lists and trainer movesets for several RMXP projects back in the day. I've also played through every mainline title up until generation seven and have compared and recorded the difficulty curves, moveset variety and general gameplay experience across each game as part of an editorial team for an older community back in the day; I have an understanding of what kinds of situations provides the optimal balance, of being challenging yet not overly irritating for players.
Competitive play: While I am not a particularly great competitive player, I have been involved with the form since about generation V, where I was top 20 or so on the Showdown OU ladder. Since then, I've mostly remained around the 1500-1700 ELO level, mostly because of my admittedly excessive tendency to employ all manners of niche strategies in my gameplay. I would provide proof, but I don't think there's a lot to look at.

This project looks like it has plenty of potential, and I'd love to be a part of it.

Discord: unlarry#8934
Timezone: GMT-5

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Hi,

I'm interested in the role of gameplay developer on this project. Though I have had little experience working on a ROM-based game, I've created encounter lists and trainer movesets for several RMXP projects back in the day. I've also played through every mainline title up until generation seven and have compared and recorded the difficulty curves, moveset variety and general gameplay experience across each game as part of an editorial team for an older community back in the day; I have an understanding of what kinds of situations provides the optimal balance, of being challenging yet not overly irritating for players.
Competitive play: While I am not a particularly great competitive player, I have been involved with the form since about generation V, where I was top 20 or so on the Showdown OU ladder. Since then, I've mostly remained around the 1500-1700 ELO level, mostly because of my admittedly excessive tendency to employ all manners of niche strategies in my gameplay. I would provide proof, but I don't think there's a lot to look at.

This project looks like it has plenty of potential, and I'd love to be a part of it.

Discord: unlarry#8934
Timezone: GMT-5

You are accepted! Welcome to the team~
I've sent you a friend request on Discord (dakota#0001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back