• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Ridiculous Ruby

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
Well, what's new with this Ruby hack? Lots of things. There are over 70 new Gen 4, 5, and 6 Pokemon in the game (and maybe more on the way). There is a new rival as well as all new Gym Leaders and Elite 4. Of course there are also new encounters, new maps, new sprites, trades, gift Pokemon, events, trainers, funny text, etc. This is meant to be a new, fun, yet moderately challenging experience.

There won't be any new moves or the phys/spec split because man ♥♥♥♥ that ♥♥♥♥.

The starter trio is Turtwig, Torchic, and Squirtle.

New Pokemon and what they replace
Spoiler:

BST and type changes to Pokemon
Spoiler:

Evolution Changes
Spoiler:

Changes to gifts/trades/interactions

Spoiler:

Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Spoiler:

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Notes

Spoiler:

Bugs/Problems

Spoiler:

Version 1 of Ridiculous Ruby!

Credits

Spoiler:

Last edited:

AmazingCharizard

Pokemon Rocket Strike creator
Years
This hack sure looks interesting. It reminds me a bit of my own lol ^^^
Although I don't like Ruby's graphics(PLEASE CHANGE THEM) I might give it a go!
But I'm not quite sure so is there going be a major change in the story?
Good luck with this project(which I'd almost overlooked because of the thread title :D )

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
Thank you.

Speaking of the graphics, I just made a very minor update that changed a few Pokemon and trainer sprites. For editing more graphical stuff, I probably won't go much farther than changing some sprites so don't expect any new tiles, fonts, or anything like that.

The essential plot and progression of the game is pretty much the same as the original. I suppose the biggest change to the story that I've made is the new rival, but I don't think that really affects things too much. For the most part, I'm barely touching key events such as those involving Team Magma.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
Next beta is up! This goes up through the Fortree Gym. Remember, once Surf is obtained, the intended order of progression is Route 105 through 109 (plus Route 115, New Mauville, and Abandoned Ship) -> Route 118 through 123 (including Weather Institute) -> Fortree Gym -> Mt. Pyre -> Lilycove Rival and Magma Hideout. So keep this in mind when playing so that you don't go to unedited areas or go unprepared for certain trainers. The Safari Zone is edited too, and each of the areas correspond with a certain type/theme. There have also been some more edits to sprites, including the new rival (who now has a phenomenal sprite, if I do say so myself).

Download link is here! - Enjoy. Opinions, feedback, and thoughts while playing are very much appreciated.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
I'm proud to announce that the game is now complete up through Mossdeep Gym! Hopefully, the infamous Hoenn sea is now more enjoyable since I've updated encounters and replaced many of the Water-type whoring trainers (Swimmers and Fisherman) with trainers who use lots of different types of Pokemon (such as Experts), and there's even a storm by Pacifidlog for those of you who like weather changes. I think the Magma Hideout is now a bit more interesting as well with some added trainers. There have been a few more sprite updates and, as usual, more ridiculous NPCs.

Before facing the Mossdeep Gym, I recommend doing as much of the sea as you can. The Gym can be a big level jump if you don't grind, and if you fight most of the sea trainers, your team might even have a comfortable level advantage. His ace is 50, so keep that in mind. He's also a Single Battle, so keep that in mind as well. You shouldn't need to hunt down every single Trainer to stay on the level curve, but if you fight about 75-90% of them you should be right on track.

Download link!

Link4799

Gage Linkous
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2016
Definitely an increasing hack I'll be watching for it! Game looks awesome, can't wait to get that garchomp xD

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
So unless I fucked something up (if I did, please tell me so I can fix it), Version 1 of Ridiculous Ruby is now complete! It's totally playable to the champion battle (who you cannot rematch, don't ask why, but either way it doesn't really matter since nobody should be redoing the E4 anyway)! I didn't touch Sky Pillar, but if people want postgame content I suppose I can make something there in the next version. Tbh, this should have come out months ago but I was lazy. I don't know what to say, I'm still kinda shocked that I have finally finished this. But, enjoy! And as always, I love to know what you think; do you like it, love it, hate it, have a question, comment, anything please don't be shy, I love feedback.

These are the types of the Elite Four and the levels of their aces.
Spoiler:

IN CASE YOU MISSED THE DOWNLOAD LINK

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator
Years
Im already finish play this version, yesterday :D and its difficult (especially the elite four & the champion) well, in the end~ i beat them all with my strategy ^_^ btw , any added/ changes this version about legendary ? or will the same in ruby ? :)

Years
Why,exactly?I don't see anything wrong with that,even if I don't like the ROM Base.

Amount of resources available for Emerald and Fire Red is not comparable to that for Ruby. Both Emerald and Fire Red are thoroughly researched, while Ruby isn't. What's even more is that Ruby is just a poorer version of Emerald. Look at that poor attempt of a hack. No physical/special split, no expansion, no new evolution methods which all are available for FR/EM. If someone knows what they're doing, fine, have fun reinventing the wheel. But let's not kid ourselves, most Ruby hacks are just shit. The only reason to hack Ruby is its disassembly that's being worked on. But as I said it requires you to actually know what you're doing.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 17, 2016
I have no idea why this thread is suddenly getting comments lmao it's a pretty silly hack.

Look at that poor attempt of a hack. No physical/special split, no expansion, no new evolution methods which all are available for FR/EM. If someone knows what they're doing, fine, have fun reinventing the wheel. But let's not kid ourselves, most Ruby hacks are just ****.
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's better to just hack Emerald or Fire Red, but this hack started before phys/spec split even existed. The reason most newer things like Fairy-type, phys/spec split, new moves, etc aren't in this game is because again a lot of work was done before each of those were a thing and I didn't want to, as you say, reinvent the wheel and redo a lot of progress I had made on the hack in order to implement them. If you only want to play hacks that have all this stuff implemented I'm not gonna stop you. But although this hack was finished in 2015 this isn't a 2015 hack (it began like 3+ years before), so I feel it's pretty rude to call this a "poor attempt of a hack".

Last edited:
Back