• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I hate the Dream World so much I wish it would burn to ashes

Do you like the Dream World?

• Total voters

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I tried the Dream World once, and it did not impress me in the least. If I wanted something to decorate, I'd want it in-game, like a secret base/villa/your room. The minigames are boring and there's not much you can do in just an hour a day. There's no reason none of the giveaways couldn't have been done through regular wi-fi. Nothing in the Dream World site prompted me to ever make a return visit.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I wasn't expecting much from the Dream World but what really ticked me off was that I had like 20 slots for the Pokemon roster thing and I could only take one Pokemon from the Dream World at a time and have to wait a whole another 24 hours before I can go back onto the Dream World meaning the other 19 had to be event Pokemon. They never distribute events to my country, the only things I've been able to get were the Eevelution event and Croagunk event. What's the point in a GLOBAL link if everything distributed is region locked? I can't even get half the C-Gear skins.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2011
I like the concept of the dream world... an online tool where you get new pokemon, new items, etc

However, I hate the way it is. It's so pointless and boring to play around with. The games are fun the first 2 times you play them, and after that it's just a chore. I also hate how you can only login once a day for no more than an hour, and only take one pokemon with you. I guess it gives the system some longevity since you have to keep going on to get all of the dream world pokemon, but they could atleast allow 2 or 3 to be transferred a day. And like mentioned, the dream pals thing is worthless.

HotaruSobotka

PENS BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS!
Years
Considering that I can't get the freaking thing to come up (it took forever just to get my darn Game Sync code!), I can only make my assumptions by the demo version.

I think once you get the thing set up, it'd be easy.

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
Years
I don't like it for the same reason as you don't. But I've also forgotten my password for the actual website which means now I cant access the main event. The whole thing is a sham.

Years
I didn't mind it too much at first, granted the concept seemed kind of strange.. but if I'm gonna stuff a whale into a marble and then put him on a computer, I guess we jumped the shark ages ago.

I like it for the fact that i can more or less catch whatever I want and use it where I am in the game currently.. and they usually have some kind of special ability or move they wouldn't normally have. Sure, it's still random, but there's very little effort involved in actually getting them.

Whats been bugging me more lately is I can't get it to work, for some reason it just doesn't load for me anymore.. maybe it's something flash did, maybe it's the site. I dunno. Its kind of irritating.. and thats why I don't really like it.

... plus the ice cream game makes me feel like a toddler.. <_<*

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
Years
Copypasta'd from what I posted on my friend's profile.

I positively HATE the Dream World. I can tolerate the fact that you only have an hour, I can take the fact that you can only hunt for a poke 5 times before the place is deserted (which they do not warn you of), but I HATE How you can't choose where in the Dream World you want to visit. No, I want Pleasant Forest, not the same mountain five times in a row.

Edited for viewing pleasure.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I haven't really formed a solid opinion on it at all yet, but that's because I haven't spent much time one it. But then again, that probably speaks for itself...

It's a nice feature, you can get yourself some rare Pokémon n' all that jazz so yeah...

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
I hate the Dream World. It's avaliable just one hour a day and I don't want to play boring, childish games to unlock Pokemon or berries. I find it the worst of the tiny number of additions BW gave.

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
Years
Wow, why so much hate?

I think there's certainly a lot of room for improvement, but I love Dream World!

I agree with some points here though.

I think an online Pokemon feature, like DW could be improved, if the online feature was more like the actual game.. I dreamed of having a site where we could interact with other trainers (players), and still have all the cool features that DW has-mini games with hidden ability Pokemon. I like decorating my home, but they need to release more decorations and increase the size of the inside of our homes.

They also should allow us to choose where we wanna go. I'm bored of pleasant forest, I want to explore the mansion and the mountains more often.

And I don't mind that we can only go on once a day, but why do we have to wait 24 hours? Why can't it be just til the clock strikes 12am? It's really inconvenient since the times that I have free to play, vary by day. Currently I have to wait til like 1am to play.

I understand that you guys want berry-growing in game and that's understandable.

But have patience, I'm sure the Ruby/sapphire remakes will have that. It would be weird if they didn't.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Wow, why so much hate?

I think there's certainly a lot of room for improvement, but I love Dream World!

I agree with some points here though.

I think an online Pokemon feature, like DW could be improved, if the online feature was more like the actual game.. I dreamed of having a site where we could interact with other trainers (players), and still have all the cool features that DW has-mini games with hidden ability Pokemon. I like decorating my home, but they need to release more decorations and increase the size of the inside of our homes.

They also should allow us to choose where we wanna go. I'm bored of pleasant forest, I want to explore the mansion and the mountains more often.

And I don't mind that we can only go on once a day, but why do we have to wait 24 hours? Why can't it be just til the clock strikes 12am? It's really inconvenient since the times that I have free to play, vary by day. Currently I have to wait til like 1am to play.

Because the server would crash daily. It exploded when they first opened it in Japan because it wasn't as limited as it is today. The limit was to balance out the server's productivity and to ease the stress on it.

I understand that you guys want berry-growing in game and that's understandable.

But have patience, I'm sure the Ruby/sapphire remakes will have that. It would be weird if they didn't.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver pretty much killed Berries though. You couldn't plant any until you got the Key item for it and wasn't as important with the removal of Pokeblocks and Poffin. Basically the aspects that were removed didn't have a lot of spot light.

Which is why The Contests died and gave birth to the Pokethon...which got horrible reviews so they went with the dress up from the Contests and just made the Musicals.

Personally I think the Dream World was a great installment. Both of the Dream World Pokemon found in the game normally are Special Event Pokemon that can be received Post Game only I believe. Short of just giving most Pokemon 3 Abilities I don't think they COULD have entered more coding to add 400+ random encounter generated Pokemon with the new abilities without all our games melting. Item programming would result in the same thing.

The Dream World itself IS for CHILDREN. So yes its childish....Its SUPPOSED to be. GameFreak and The Pokemon Company's target consumers are CHILDREN between the ages of 5 to 13. The right ages that would ENJOY those mini games.

Dream World was the better idea they have had and separation from the actual game makes it easier to do in my opinion because I don't have to worry about comparing hundreds of Pokemon to do certain things like with the Contests and Pokethon.

I don't have any time to get on to play it as much as I wish I could, but I love it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Short of just giving most Pokemon 3 Abilities I don't think they COULD have entered more coding to add 400+ random encounter generated Pokemon with the new abilities without all our games melting. Item programming would result in the same thing.

You honestly think that's an issue? Adding an item that can be activated, or a location in the game that lets you encounter Pokémon with their Hidden Abilities set is so simple that even a novice could program it in without causing any problems to the game.

if (special_item_is_active) or (location = special_location);
[set the flag that determines hidden abilities to on]

Two lines of code you can add at the part where the game generates a new Pokémon in a random battle.

Last edited:

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Honestly, I'm used to the stupid time restrictions and random area selection crap by now.

The only time I ever get angry in the DW nowadays is when I barely find any Pokemon at all, sometimes none in any of the 10 steps in a certain area (they'd all be items or empty tiles).

Celestial Daze

Holiday Alt. = Holidaze
Years
I didn't, actually, I don't hate the Dream World
Although I think that sometimes it's a waste of space, and while I don't enjoy most of the mini-games;
It's not worth hating it. As said before by Xanderos, it's childish because it was supposed to be. Although I agree that Black and White were a little more mature, and got more older buyers, the targeted public were children and pre-teens.
Although, put some coding to do that in-the game would work better in my opinion though, because I'd like to be able to use my normal team with Hideen Abilities, but that's something to wait until Pokemon Grey ...
Also,when Generation VI comes around,and the Global Link is closed,I'm sure some of the people that said they disliked badly the Dream World will be missing it ...

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
When I first word of Dream World, I thought it'd be an in-game location, kinda like the Distortion World. Boy, was I disappointed.. I think it's ridiculous that I need to go on my computer and play a bunch of games just to transfer berries back into my game. I want to play my game on the DS, not a bunch of flash games on the internet..

Celestial Daze

Holiday Alt. = Holidaze
Years
When I first word of Dream World, I thought it'd be an in-game location, kinda like the Distortion World. Boy, was I disappointed.. I think it's ridiculous that I need to go on my computer and play a bunch of games just to transfer berries back into my game. I want to play my game on the DS, not a bunch of flash games on the internet..

You can transfer Pokemon too; I think they only made the Dream World on the Internet because they had to make a new GTS(or at least revamp the old system)

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The DS wouldn't be able to handle sending data back and forth like the Dream World does. I mean, it takes too long just to connect to the GTS and that's before you even try and search for a Pokémon. It would have also meant being unable to update anything, because as previously noted the DS doesn't have any way to store downloadable updates that are more than the size of a C-Gear skin or something.

Last edited:

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022

You can transfer Pokemon too; I think they only made the Dream World on the Internet because they had to make a new GTS(or at least revamp the old system)

The DS wouldn't be able to handle sending data back and forth like the Dream World does. I mean, it takes too long just to connect to the GTS and that's before you even try and search for a Pokémon. It would have also meant being unable to update anything, because as previously noted the DS doesn't have any way to store downloadable updates that are more than the size of a C-Gear skin or something.

My first impression of the Dream World was simple an extra map, kinda like the Distortion World or Kanto in the Johto games where you could just go and do whatever.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I've never seen cause to go onto the DW myself. I'm eternally pissed at it because it basically stole the name of something I wrote about, but that's another kettle of fish entirely. I'm a bit miffed about the need to grow berries in the DW too, but I can live without them, I guess. I never used berries much, but it was nice to be able to grow Leppa berries whenever I wanted. It just seems like so much hassle for something that simple, and that's the long and short of it for me. They sell it as easy and uncomplicated, but I think the whole range of wireless and internet possibilities that came through with B/W are too many and varied to make good use of. I've used the Entralink maybe twice? And what's with the stupid Feeling Check and things like that? But most of all, the Dream World. I don't want to play Farmville, I want to play Pokemon. B/W tried to do too much and cram it into small packages. It's confused me. A while back, I just made the choice to switch off to all that. I'm playing it like an old school Pokemon game, playing through the game internally and only using the communication features to trade like I used to with D/P.

So no, I don't like the Dream World.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I never liked the concept of Dream World. I tried it once and put a hacked Arceus into the slot and left it there as of today. What I really don't like about it is the fact that you have to go on your computer and control your Pokemon. Why couldn't they keep this feature on the handheld system for?

:t354:TG

Back