• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's go Marshtomp

Years
Spr_4d_259.png

Marshtomp is my favorite pokemon so I wanted to play through Pokemon White/Black only using Marshtomp, it seems like a really hard task so therefore I need all the help I need.

Some questions that might help
What moves should it have?
What about EV?
Should I be switching moves?
Which nature?
What should I look out for?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Marshtomp is good for its Attack and its bulkyness. You definitely want Earthquake, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Rock Slide, and filler. That will make the most of its Attack and be good for coverage. I don't think it can learn Aqua Tail though. But most of its attacks are going to be from TM's/HM's, so good luck on that part.

A good nature would be anything that boosts Attack. So you have a choice with Lonely, Adamant, and Naughty. I wouldn't go with Bold, since that reduces speed. I'd probably go with Lonely/Naughty since that reduces one of the defense stats. For EV's, I like to go with max Attack and max Speed.

Look out for Ferrothorn. That thing will murder you unless you have a fighting move, so if you can get Brick Break or something, get it. Any other Grass-types will kill you as well, but Ferrothorn is the biggest threat since its defense is ridiculously high.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I'd recommend Brick Break or Hammer Arm over Rock Slide TBH to take care of any darks or steels like Ferrothorn and Tyranitar for example. That and Brick Break/Hammer Arm has better coverage for Marshtomp IMO due to Ice Beam handling flying types and the dual STABs handling any fire type you might face.

Years
Yeah that's true but Marshtomp can also learn Superpower but what do you guys think is better as a fighting move?

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Yeah that's true but Marshtomp can also learn Superpower but what do you guys think is better as a fighting move?
I am no expert in any way but lowering the stat you most rely on doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Three of it's four moves are going to be physical and in the longer battles lowering one of it's only high stats--Attack--just seems stupid. Maybe it's something about battling that I just don't grasp though.

Years
The choice is between Brick Break and Superpower, the thing is that Sp will be able to finish off most pokemon in one shoot but have to be used carefully and then we got BB which most likely wont be capable to finish things off easily. I think the best move will be BB then but now I got to figure out which item it should hold, maybe Evioliet?

pokehearts

I like trains.
Years
The choice is between Brick Break and Superpower, the thing is that Sp will be able to finish off most pokemon in one shoot but have to be used carefully and then we got BB which most likely wont be capable to finish things off easily. I think the best move will be BB then but now I got to figure out which item it should hold, maybe Eviolite?
Yeah, why not, it's a good Item, and if you're playing through the entire game, use it.

Years
Marshtomp's primary stat is Attack so you want Adamant or Jolly nature. They are the best natures for physical attackers.

Back