• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What did your Day Care Odd Egg Hatch into?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
egg.png

As you when you first get an egg, you'll notice in it's status screen how it's doing. Based on the number of steps it'll take, it'll start to shake more and more, in which eventually, it'll hatch into a basic level 5 pokemon! For example, you'd receive an egg from Professor Elm's aide, and it'll hatch into a level 5 Togepi.

When you first arrive to the Day Care Center near Goldenrod City at Route 34, you get to have an Odd Egg, which can hatch into one of these pokemon:

172.png
173.png
174.png
236.png
238.png
239.png
240.png

That being said... During your playthrough, which one of these Pokemon did your Odd egg hatch into? Do you use the pokemon that you hatch from the Odd on your pokemon team?thoughts!

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
As the Odd Egg has a very high chance of being Shiny I decided to soft reset until I got a Shiny and would use whatever it ended up being.

On the fourth soft reset I obtained a Shiny Tyrogue which I nicknamed Marshal. I almost didn't know it was Shiny as I could not remember what colour Tyrogue normally was until I saw this pne had blue shorts.

After feeding him several Proteins he evolved at Level 20 is now a Shiny Hitmonlee and is on my team.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Crazy as this may sound, I've never hatched an egg I got from the Day Care Center and instead, I boxed the egg.

Last edited:
Years
I normally soft reset until I get Elekid. I'd probably use Magby if GSC had Physical waterfall, ice punch, etc. getting more potential out of Feraligatr. But since it isn't like that in GSC I always use Typhlosion for that awesome Fire/Electric coverage, Elekid rounding up with Electric/Ice.

Years
On my first try it hatched into a Cleffa, non-shiny. However, I had something else in mind. I wanted either a Pichu or Tyrogue. After just 5 srs I hatched it into the shiny Tyrogue I wanted and think he's gorgeous! I'm glad that I kept trying.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I wanted a Shiny so I kept resetting until I got one. On the 10th Egg I got:
Spr_2c_240_s.png

Too bad I already had Growlithe on my team, so I just boxed Magby

Years
I originally wanted an shiny Elekid and SR for several days just to get it. Then I just settled for a shiny Magby. She apart of my team now and she's a helpful team member to boot. I'm pretty happy that I kept her.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Kept resetting for a shiny. Wanted Cleffa, as that's what I got when I was a kid (even though I wanted Igglybuff as a kid and I was like, nooo not Cleffa)... and I got shiny Igglybuff! So pretty happy. Took like 12 tries to get ANY sort of shiny though :|

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
My first time through I got a normal Elekid, and I was using it, but I recently restarted my game because my team composition was horrendous. Can't wait to see what I get the second time through.

Sirfetch’d

I got a Smoochum! She is a part of my team as a very strong Jynx now. I honestly couldn't be happier but any of them would have pleased me aside from Igglybuff since you can just catch Jigglypuff lol

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Alright, just to follow up, my second egg hatched into a Cleffa. Not shiny. I'll think about using it. Dunno yet.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen May 5, 2018
My egg hatched into a magby. It helped in the battle with red.

Years
I got an un-shiny Elekid, which was actually pretty helpful as I needed an electric type to round out my team, what with Mareep missing entirely from the game.. He helped me beat Pryce and evolved after the battle. Now I'm just waiting on my Exeggcute egg to hatch..

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
I SR'd for a shiny, which turned out to be Magby. It was boxed because my party already had Quilava for Fire-types.

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
My egg, when I first played Crystal (on an emulator, I'm not old enough yet to just waste my money on eBay) turned into :t236:, unshiny, and I didn't even know about the shiny chance: I just rolled with it. Despite what you might expect, I boxed the 'mon after it evolved into Hitmontop, as I had my whole team set up anyway by the time I hatched the darn thing.

However, this story takes a very surprising turn once I had my sights set on completing Pokemon PolishedCrystal (not LiquidCrystal, I mean the one being headed by Rangi).
In the hack, the Odd Egg Pokemon roster was changed to suit the Pokemon that were actually in the game; for instance: Munchlax was in while (I think) Igglybuff was out (You can only get regular Jigglypuff from hatching now.)
Why I specifically mentioned Munchlax? The answer is ridiculously simple: My first Odd Egg hatch was a shiny Munchlax. There's no mistaking that I trained it enough to become the very best, like no other Snorlax ever was.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ever since I bought Pokémon Crystal on my 3ds been messing around in it and decided the only shiny I'd go after in this is the odd egg, so I got to Goldenrod last night and obtained my egg after saving before the couple and thought I'd hatch one egg last night and work on getting my shiny today, what I was not expecting however was to get a shiny...in one flippin' egg. O.O

I got a shiny Elekid, female. Has this even happened to anyone else or is this just me?

I might look for some more shinies in this now too...but they'd all be full odds, which I think is 1/8000 or so.

Hey there, I merged your thread into the Odd Egg discussion as it has been fairly active recently, please don't re-post it, as it has been merged for a reason :) No need to have two discussions on the Odd Egg!

Back