• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokemon Metal (Update - Gen 6+more!)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Logo_zps9b35a47b.png

28.10.2015 UPDATE
Spoiler:

INTRODUCTION
Pokemon Metal is a non-canon fanmade Pokemon game. The game was created using Enterbrain's RPG Maker XP, and the Pokemon Essentials starter kit by Poccil, Maruno & Flameguru. I first started developing the game in 2012, but never finished. In early 2014, I started developing it again from scratch. This time, I have completed it.
A lot of characters in the game (specifically gym leaders and the Elite 4 members) are based on rock & metal musicians, hence the name "Pokemon Metal".

STORY
Pokemon Metal takes place in the Arala region. Professor Oak has just moved to the protagonist's hometown, Moon City. He invites the player to his new laboratory, and gives him/her their first Pokemon and a Pokedex. Professor Oak sends the player on a quest to challenge the 8 gyms of Arala and the Pokemon League, while catching as many Pokemon as possible along the journey.

On the journey, the protagonist meets a lot of different people, and hears stories about Arala's mysterious past. A lot of important characters do their best to explain these mysteries, but always end up missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

The protagonist also runs into three different criminal organizations, whose plans remain secret for the majority of the journey. What are they after? Are they connected with each other? Are they working together?

FEATURES
- A completely new, huge region;
- All Pokemon obtainable!;
- A lot of events after the Pokemon League (big postgame);
- 3 rivals;
- Half-open world;
- WoW-like quest system;
- Changed evolution methods for Pokemon that need to be traded;
- A lot of areas to investigate (Caves, mountains, islands, etc.);
- Offline Wonder Trade;
- Mega Evolution;
- 3 criminal organizations (Team Rocket, Team Aqua & Team Magma).

SCREENSHOTS
Rob_zpsf11b7905.png
Sailedfaraway_zps854d3f76.png

Route5_zpsfd14ca46.png
Thisisbad_zps50871808.png

FarawayIsland_zps16ce95ca.png
TheGiantsshrine_zps057ddce4.png

Sax_zpsf9cafa74.png
Timeportal_zpsb8548008.png

MegaEvolution2_zps5f57e4e7.png
MegaEvolution1_zpsf3a987e3.png

VIDEOS

MaxEzzy's Pokemon Metal Walkthrough part 1

TheGamerTree's Pokemon Metal: Episode 1

DOWNLOAD
Pokemon Metal

WARNING: This game contains tiny amounts of swearing (cca. 5 times in the entire game).

FUTURE UPDATES
This game is completed, and I will update it in the future only when I fix a bug noticed by me or someone playing the game.

EVOLUTION
Since all Pokemon can be obtained without any trading in my game, I was forced to change the evolution method for Pokemon that need to be traded in order to evolve. Here's a list of the new evolution methods:
Haunter - Gengar (Level 45);
Kadabra - Alakazam (Level 45);
Boldore - Gigalith (Level 38);
Clamperl - Huntail (Water stone);
Clamperl - Gorebyss (Shiny stone);
Dusclops - Dusknoir (Dusk stone);
Electabuzz - Electivire (Level 45);
Graveler - Golem (Level 41);
Karrablast - Escavalier (Level 22);
Machoke - Machamp (Level 51);
Magmar - Magmortar (Fire stone);
Onix - Steelix (Level 40);
Poliwhirl - Politoed (Moon stone);
Porygon - Porygon2 (Level 35);
Porygon2 - Porygon-Z (Level 45);
Rhydon - Rhyperior (Level 54);
Scyther - Scizor (Level 50);
Seadra - Kingdra (Water stone);
Shelmet - Accelgor (Level 22);
Slowpoke - Slowking (Level up while holding the King's rock during daytime);
Gurdurr - Conkeldurr (Level up while holding the King's rock during daytime);
Inkay - Malamar (Level 30);
Spirtzee - Aromatise (Level 26);
Swirlix - Slurpuff (Level 29);
Phantump - Trevenant (Dusk stone);
Pumpkaboo - Gourgeist (Dusk stone);
Eevee - Sylveon (Shiny stone).

If I forgot any, please let me know so I can add them to this list.

CREDITS
- Pokemon Essentials -
Poccil
Maruno
Flameguru

- RPG Maker XP -
Enterbrain

- Sprites -
RPD490
iiHurricane
Pokemon-Subrosia
Gardow
Branflakes325
Noscium
chickenmc****it
Dleep
Layell
Legitimate Username
jadeAcrocity
orly32123
Criminon
Slowpoke13
MrDollSteak
Branflakes325
aXl
HeXeR
milomilotic11
milkvetch
SupahSnivy
Zerudez
Neo-Spriteman
Kyuzeth
Chaos Rush
MinhNerd
Sleet
Saving Raven
MyOwnRealm
al199288
leparagon
Redrooster
N-Kin
Spherical Ice
princessofmusic
Diegotoon20
GOLDstandard
Doesntknowhowtoplay
Thundrake
princess-phoenix
hunterarrow
Gnomowladny
Sky High
Quanyails
GeoisEvil
Wyverii
Vale98PM
thedarkdragon11
Nordk
Hoenn
AtecainCorp
poke-7
Bucket-Boy
EternalReflux
TheCynicalPoet
Wobblebuns
Greyenna
Pikachumazzinga
Superjub
Seiku88
Gexeys
Tayub1221
SSJ4 Furanki
Arkeis

- Misc -
Fangking Omega
P-Sign
Clowcardruler
Venom12
Red Rooster
FL
Mortenkein
Cast
Rot8er_ConeX
Silentninja
DL Kurosh
Dewitty
Chocosrawloid
Quanyails
Snivy 101
Kymotonian
44tim44
spaceemotion
Mos Quitoxe
tImE
Furs the Fox
Black Eternity
Worldslayer608
TheUnprofessionalAmateur

- Generation 6 Project -
WorldSlayer
Luka S.J.
dragonnite
Serbii
TheDeKay
karstictrainer
viperk1
SunakazeKun
RPD940
Takyon!
Pokegod7020
mej71
~JV~
XmarkXalanX
Maruno
Ratty524
joeyhugg
Nickalooose
Lucidious89
AmethystRain
AlexTCGPro
Destiny
baaabuuu
trueegee
woobowiz
DL Kurosh
p.claydon
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
snooper117

- Not-Pokemon music taken from -
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Special thanks -
Pokecommunity.com - Gen VI: DS-Style 64x64 Pokemon Sprite Resource
Smogon XY Sprite project
MaxEzzy
Empoleon Fighter
Psypokes
Bulbapedia.Bulbagarden.net
GameFreak
Nintendo

Thank you for reading. Any advice, feedback and critiques are highly welcome :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Update time!
- Finished Rolford City.
- Finished 4th Gym.
- 232 maps.
- Introduced more sidequests.

I'm really having a tough time finishing Mt. Frost. There's already a huge amount of caves in my game, and I plan to build at least 4-5 more. But I planned out Mt. Frost on paper, and it turned out to be gigantic. Like, extremely huge. So I figured instead of making it map by map, I'll just create a huge map, divide it into smaller parts and make each part a different chamber of the cave. Sure, it saves time, but I don't think I'll finish it anytime soon.

But beside that, 4 gyms, yay :)

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
The overall story seems great! I don't know that much about music, so make sure you include some side information for us who don't listen to that much metal and don't know about it.

I do see a few problems in the maps. When you map, always remember that the player has to navigate through the area while looking through a small window. It is easy to get lost in the space, so try and make things a little more cluttered, but not too cluttered.
Some notes:
I like the Route 5 map.
The top screenshot of aura cave is too big of a map. Fill the gaps or close it inward some.
Same for Mt Frost. And Mt Priest needs more decoration in its open spaces, since it isn't as bad. Fill it up with some vegetation or something.
Nostram City is very large and seems as if it might also need changed around to allow for better navigation. For the sprites, try to go with a more saturated tone of color. A lot of your colors look very bright as if they were taken from the default row of paint, which can often lead to discomfort in viewing.
I like the Hendrix sprite, though. I do know who he is because of my friends.
Overall, great work so far!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Thanks for all your advice :) The map of Nostram Town has actually been changed since I took that picture, but I forgot to update it.
I can't change the top map of the Aura Cave. I know it's too big, but I made it like that on purpose - if you look closely, it has the shape of a guitar :D It's one of the two "fossil rooms" in the Aura Cave - rooms that are populated by Pokemon who were thought extinct. It's basically a dead end, so the size won't cause any problems (I think).

Mt. Frost is a gigantic map (140x100) with many small maps in it. Each small map represents a cave chamber. I did this just to save time while building the cave, and it works really well. The player won't be able to see any other chamber from one chamber. And you are very right about Mt. Priest. I'll fix it tomorrow and include the screenshot in my next update.

Thank you for your tips :) I'm glad you like the story (or stories). That's what I've been focusing on the most. I plan to add many more myths, mysteries, etc. in the game, to make it really interesting, intriguing and overall different from regular Pokemon games.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Time to update again :)
- Finished Duende City.
- Finished 5th Gym.
- 247 maps.
- Finished a Team Aqua encounter, their hideout, and added much to the story development.
- Finished Ancient Ruins.

I finally finished the "annoying" part of the game. Annoying to make, that is. I'm talking about the North-East part of the region map. No "normal" routes, it's a desert, a frost mountain, and the Ancient Ruins, which all require different tilesets I'm not used to.

I also got a bit distracted from game making by my Wii, but that's over now.

Also, I fixed some of my old maps. No screenshots though since I'm too lazy to take them xD

Again, any advice, critiques, feedback, comments, questions are highly welcome.

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
Years
Looks like a cool game man, lmao at making Hendrix the grass type leader!

Also, what is the pokedex like for the game? Are the first three gens available?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Looks like a cool game man, lmao at making Hendrix the grass type leader!

Also, what is the pokedex like for the game? Are the first three gens available?

And yeah, of course. Gens 1-5 are available, and I plan adding 17 Fakemon as well, bringing the total number to 666 :D

GaryFreakingOak

Years
Right on! I'm not super familiar with essentials so I didn't know what the starter kit default is, and seeing the Team Aqua stuff I thought maybe this was based off of Gen 3.

Are the fakemon brand new or evolutions for existing Pokemon? And have you decided on starters yet?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Right on! I'm not super familiar with essentials so I didn't know what the starter kit default is, and seeing the Team Aqua stuff I thought maybe this was based off of Gen 3.

Are the fakemon brand new or evolutions for existing Pokemon? And have you decided on starters yet?

Both, actually. I plan on adding new eeveelutions for every type, and a couple new. Most of the new Fakemon will be based off mascots of bands, like Eddie (Iron Maiden).

As far as starters go, I put the same ones as I did the first time - Riolu, Zorua and Misdreavus, but I must say I'm not really satisfied with them myself, so I guess I'll change them once the game is done. Any advice about which ones to put would be great xD

GaryFreakingOak

Years
I actually kind of like those because they're not too common. However, if it were me I would consider replacing Riolu with another fighting (maybe Croagunk? or a fakemon Heracross pre-evo...just something I have always wanted to see :) ) just because I feel like there are already ton of fangames where you can have a Riolu right away.

And I'm not typically one for a lot of "gift" Pokemon, but maybe it would be cool to have a gift Elekid towards the beginning? I don't know, Electivire just seems very much in the theme of this game, haha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
You know, you're actually right. I should replace Riolu, and make him harder to catch, since everyone loves Lucario. I can't put Croagunk since his main type is Poison, and he's a dual type. Also, not a big fan of him :\

I could put Makuhita. I've always liked him.

As far as Elekid goes, that's not a bad idea, either. Right now I have a lack of "useful" NPCs (Give/sell/trade stuff or contribute to the story), so it'd be a nice fix.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
This seems pretty great since I love Pokemon and Metal, which makes me wonder why Black Veil Brides isn't mentioned or Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, Kiss (great idea for the elite 4). I can't wait to see it finished. Are you gonna have metal versions of the standard Pokemon music? cause that would be cool.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Sorry, I'll have to disappoint you, but I've already planned the E4 ahead. As far as the music goes, I planned on changing the battle music for every gym leader and E4 member to a song that matches their particular styles. For example, the second gym leader is based on Van Halen, and the battle theme would be a song in the style of Van Halen.

Still, recording all that music isn't easy at all, so I'll probably get to it once I finish the game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Finally, I've finished another gym. Time for an update :D
- Thrill City created.
- Power Plant created.
- Rhoads Science Institute created.
- Tower of Transyl created.
- 313 maps!
- 6th Gym created!
- Created another encounter with Team Aqua.
- Introduced quests! (Details below)

Okay, the reason why it took me so long to update is... well, my Wii is functional again, so I had to play through Skyward Sword... and SSBB... multiple times xD Also, I had to create really a lot of stuff! 4 long routes, a ghost tower, a huge city, a power plant, a huge research institute, and then finally the gym. Sorry it took so long.

As for the quest system, I've introduced it to give the player the sensation of a somewhat open-world game. It is basically not different from the quest systems in games like World of Warcraft, Skyrim or South Park: The Stick of Truth.
NPCs all around Arala will ask the player to do something for them, and reward the player if they succeed. The reward is usually money+item. Some rewards contain TMs, rare held items, or super rare items like boat tickets and maps to far away locations.

I didn't create a quest log yet, since I'm not sure how to do it. But it's coming soon, I promise :D

I believe that the development of the game will go faster, because I took the time to plan and write EVERYTHING down. So all I have to do now is build without having to brainstorm about what next to create.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Spoiler:

Wow, its been a while. Damn, you beat me to it, I have a WIP planned for my own quests haha. Anyway, I'm excited to see what happens! Good luck, hope to see some screens soon!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I have managed to create a quest log. Here's what it looks like:
Questlogtemp_zpsba4554d7.png

Quests will be displayed on the left half. The player can have a maximum of 22 quests at the same time. The upper-right part contains the quest description of the selected quest, and the lower-right part contains a picture related to the quest, which doesn't really do much except look nice.
The biggest problem I've had while creating the quest log was to properly align quests. For example, if the player had 3 quests, and completes the first one, the other two would have to go a space up in the quest log. The other problem I had was to find a way to display the quest description and quest image once a quest was selected. I've managed to find a way to solve both of these problems using RPG Maker only (No scripts), which makes thing a little bit harder. Here's what the quest log looks like with quests in it:
QuestlogWithquests_zps3098260d.png

Just after taking this image, I've realized that the quest images are 8 pixels bigger than they should be, and that their position is 8 pixels higher than it should be. That's why Absol's horn sticks out of the box. I've fixed that problem by now.

One more tiny problem is that the quest name, quest description and quest image are all.... simply images. I can't display any details about the quantity of gathered things. For example, if a quest requires you to gather 10 Pokeballs, and the player has 7, I can't display "7/10" anywhere. There is a way to fix it, but it would require a lot of time and hard work. What I have in mind is to display the details once the player presses Enter when a quest is selected. To do that, I'd need to create an event that checks whether any quest is selected, if yes, which quest is selected, and then have it display the message for that particular quest, if there's something to display. Since these details aren't really THAT necessary, I think I'll skip doing all this for now.

One last thing: I know that the quest log itself looks bland right now, with only 3 colors and a black background. But that can easily be changed, as long as the dimensions remain the same, so don't worry about that. Even the image file of that picture is named "Questlogtemp" xD

I'd really like to find out what you guys think about this. It'll sure make the game more fun.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Looks like you've a lot of effort into this.
I love the fact that the game's characters are influenced by Metal.
I understand you're currently using an event based quest-log?
I've edited a quest-log script to be compatible with essentials, if you want I can share it with you.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Yeah, the quest log is almost completely event based. The only scripting part I've done is that I've made the item "Quest log" activate a global switch. The actual quest log is an auto-start common event that activates when that global switch is ON. The event shows the picture of the quest log and the selection box (Not sure if that's how I should call it... it's the box that moves around and allows to select a quest), then it "calls" a call common event to display the quest names, and finally it enters a loop that consists of 5 conditional branches, all depending on a button being pushed (Up, down, left, right and Z to exit). Of course, each time the selection box moves, it calls another event that checks if it landed on a quest name, and if it did, to display the quests' description and image.

So yeah, a script-based quest log would definitely make it easier. I'm just not sure whether I'll be able to use it or not, since I really don't know much about actual programming. I'd love to take a look at it though, thanks :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Okay, big update. A few weeks (or months, I don't remember xD ) ago, it has been pointed out to me that my city maps, well... suck. All the houses had different colors, the dirtroads were squiggly, which is okay for a route, but not for a city. So I went back and improved ALL of them. Some of them still look bad (Like Purlamp City), but I couldn't improve them more because of important event movements and their connections to other maps. They still look better than before, though. Screenshots can be found below in the "Arala" section.

Seneroth City is relatively small, but houses the last gym of Arala. Well, technically, there is no strict order of gyms in this game. The player can challenge this gym as soon as he acquires Surf, but it is definitely the hardest gym in the game.
Rainbow is also a relatively small city without a gym. Many trainers begin their journey here. The good professor Osier (Who is the biggest jerk you'll encounter in the game) lives here. He provides beginner trainers with starter Pokemon. He also studies legendary Pokemon and sends the player on some quite interesting quests.
Rainbow and Seneroth City have one thing in common, and that is the Safari Zone. The Safari Zone in Seneroth is much smaller, though. Screenshots below (In "Arala" section, under the respective cities).

Mt. Tarot is yet another (and probably last) huge mountain of Arala, with 4 "floors" and a large outside part. It is actually an inactive volcano, so many Fire Pokemon live there. The Giant's Shrine is also located on the top. Screenshots below (Again, in the "Arala" Section).

The overworld is almost completed. All that's left to create is the top of Mt. Frost, the Victory Road and the Pokemon League. I'm kinda stuck right now, since I've no idea how to create the Victory Road. I don't really want the traditional long cave with rock smash and strength obstacles. But oh well, I'll think of something.

Just to let you know, it's not technically "almost done". There's a lot of post-game to create, as well as other locations, like different islands the player will be able to travel to via boat from Medethine City. Besides the creation of the game itself, there's still lots of stuff to add and fix.
For example, I want all Pokemon to be obtainable in the game, so I'll have to change evolution methods (No trade). Then I'll have to change the sprites of the player(s) and of gym leaders. I also have to change the region map, since the one I use currently is just a "mold" so I know what to create, where and how big.

I also originally planned on adding 17 Fakemon, which will include an alternate evolution of Haunter and possibly evolutions of other already existing Pokemon. Maybe I'll just scratch the idea overall.

Let me know what you think :)

Back