• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the HARDEST gym ever?

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
One name for me.

Whitney.
Why?
That Miltank.

Sure maybe Clair is hard but Whitney is hard because..
1)Miltank;the rollout combo with milk drink.attract also
2)Fighting is the only weakness and Machop from a trade is the only way you can get one
3)Takes advantage of being a hard gym at low levels

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
Whitney?
Okay maybe in the SS/HG version, but I didnt have that much of a trouble with her. (do hate scrappy though. Back in the day before abilities she couldnt stand against my gasthly!
(to be honest she gave me quite a trouble in crystal since I wasnt so knowledgable back in the day)

But for me? I had a real hard battle against Norman (funnily also a Normal type Leader) and Clay.
But I am not sure in clays case since my Group wasnt really effective against fighting Types.
Norman on the other hand was just cheap. At least to me (dont remember if it was Saphire or emerald though)

In anyway I think Normans Pokemons are doped (one hit kill in every round? WTH?)
And the sitrus-fruit was just plain unfair. That thing had enouhgh HP, it didnt need that too!
After all the surfers I spammed it still was alive and kicking ready to mash me up!
I hate slaking

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Well as of now, that I'm a lot more experienced from playing it for 14+ years I don't have any problems really. But back when I had Crystal, which was around 12 years I always had a hard time with Whitney, also in Sapphire I had a problem with Tate & Liz, but that's about it. Norman was a little difficult cos of that Slacking but other than that he was easy. Well actually I had a hard time with a couple of the Kanto leaders in SS. I didn't have an electric Pokemon so Misty's Lapras swept my team... Crobat - Ice Beam, Dragonite - Ice Beam, Typhlosion - Surf, Lapras - Body Slam (mine didn't have Body Slam), Espeon - Body Slam/Surf... But I beat her when I stocked up on full restores lol. Surge was pretty difficult as well, and Brock was a little bit of a challenge.. His Kabutops somehow beat my Lapras and swept half my team. Good thing Dragonite had Aqua Tail.

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
Really? Tate and Liz were easy (at least in sapphire. In emerald it was a pain)
WIthney I can only say the same about that. But honestly she was also fun when she tried to roll out against my stone pokemons)

I really didnt play the HG/SS game since..I have sadly only the rom and my comp is so sloooooowpoke...Even a slowpoke could outrun it 10 times! I might give it a try when I get the real deal. Funnily Nobody mentions the dragon leaders Dragan and sandra(I dont know her english name but she was the last leader in GenII and GenIV)
In anyway Clay was strangly hard, maybe because my partners were too slow for Onehitkills.
Man I would be a bad Gym-leader xD

I am kind of interested now, since there really isnt a overall hard Leader.
So how about telling the opinion of who is the hardest leader in their corresponding region
(Taking the younger generation, since lets face it: Gen II was the easiest Generationm ever)

Years
Thinking back, while I didn't really have a problem beating him at all, Blue (both in GSC and HGSS) would have to be one of the toughest Gym Leaders. He's the only one that doesn't rely on just one type of Pokemon, causing you to need a little bit of strategy going in rather than just sweeping through with one Pokemon with a type-advantage. And aside from rematches, Blue has the highest leveled team when you first face him, which also poses more of a challenge. And while it wasn't the case in the second gen, HeartGold and SoulSilver's version of the Gym was frustrating with all of the floor tiles that moved you in different directions, so you had to put in some effort just to get to the point of battling him.

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Clair was a nightmare for me, especially in SS. No dragons on my team, and the only Ice move I had was Ice Fang on my Feraligatr, which did practically nothing.

Sirfetch’d

The GSC Whitney was probably the hardest leader. I also had quite amount of trouble with Burgh in White 2.

Years
I've had a fair share of nightmarish Gym Leaders but the one who takes the cake for me is definitely Clair in HG/SS.

That Kingdra of hers only has a single weakness to Dragon, pretty darn good stats and moves that are able to massacre your whole team due to a combination of high base power and STAB. Also, there is a highly likely chance your team would be lacking a Dragon-type attack at this point meaning you have to just whittle away at her team's health unless if you land a lucky critical hit on her.

Trust me, she always makes me shiver, and I hate battling strong Dragon-types in the game.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I remember Whitney in GenII being very hard back in the day. Setting the attract, and then rollout was always the way she got me. Clair was tough too back then, but that was somewhat do to my inexperience at the time.

Norman from III was tough too, and I remember getting schooled pretty bad the first time I challenged him

SagaTheTrainer

The Veteran Newbie
Years
I still have nightmares about Whitney´s arceus-forsaken Miltank.

I never been a good grinder so everytime i meet her i am usually a couple levels below her pokémon, and that always made it frustratingly hard for me to beat her.

I hate you, Whitney D:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I've always found the normal type gym leaders to be particularly annoying to defeat. Especially the likes of Whitney in GSC and HGSS, and Norman in RSE. Whitney's Miltank dominated my poorly developed team, while Norman's Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking (can't remember which ones he had), crushed me.

Madic0

Years
I always had trouble with Whitney back in the day; her Miltank is pretty much what transformed me into the grinder I am today (I made it a rule to always have a Lv. 30 starter by the time I reached Goldenrod).

Pokémon was really the franchise that taught me the meaning of patience as a child.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In terms of the gym puzzle, it's a tie between the Snowpoint and Blackthorn Gyms. In terms of the Leaders themselves, I'd say that Norman was the hardest because of his Slaking.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Brock in Pokemon Yellow. Quick Attack Pikachu was just not good enough. ;P Koga was pretty hard too in that game, considering he had like a lv. 50 Venemoth.

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
Blue rematch in HG/SS. He has a TYRANITAR and RHYPERIOR Lv 70!

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 3, 2019
The hardest overall gym for me would have to be Whitney. Oh my god, that Milktank! It used to pummel my team all the time, it took me a good 2 days to complete.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Whitney and that Miltank of course! 2nd place goes to Brock in Yellow, where in my first run, totally unexpectedly, only had a low level Pikachu went to fight Brock, I lost of course.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Sabrina in R/B/Y as I stupidly had a Gastly to fight her as Ash had a ghost pokemon in his battle agsinst her. So I lost against her.

Back