• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Lapis Version

ChaosNinjat

Dragon Ranger
Years
INFO
ROM: FireRed USA
LANGUAGE: English
AUTHOR: ChaosNinjat

Introduction
My name's ChaosNinjat, but you can call me Chaos. I've not released any work before, though I am an experienced spriter. This hack I'm showing you now is the product of a few months work, which I now feel is ready to be shown to all you guys. All feedback is greatly appreciated, and I'm also looking for help, but there'll be more details about that further down. Meanwhile, let me introduce you to…

mainlogofinal.jpg

The Story
Spoiler:

Features
• Brand new region
• New Protagonists
• New Rival
• New Professor
• New Evil Team
• New music
• In-depth, exciting storyline
• More challenging battles
• Less common gym types
• A new Legendary Pokemon

Bugs
None yet, I haven't gotten far enough to release a beta…

ScreenShots:
Spoiler:

Sprites:
Spoiler:

Maps:
Spoiler:

Update News/Progress Report
Ok, so after reading some of you guy's feedback, it's made me realize that I might not be able to map as well as I thought. I've completely redone Petayre Town now, but before I put it up on here, I've submitted it to the Map Rating/Review Thread, like Deokishisu suggested. I'm gonna wait for feedback on that map before I decide whether I can edit the other maps myself, or whether I need to request for a mapper as well. I'm also contemplating about using custom tiles, though that's completely out of my area, so I'd definitely need a hand with them. I'll be adding a few of the new sprites onto the thread soon, so you guys can have a look.

Joining the Crew
Spoiler:

Hacking Team
ChaosNinjat – Spriter/ Mapper/ Animator

Tools
Advance Map 1.92 (AM1.92) - LUHO
eXtreme Script Editor (XSE) - HackMew
VisualBoy Advance (VBA) - VisualBoy Advance
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Adobe
unLZ.GBA - HackMew
FSF – HackMew
OW Editor Rebirth – HackMew
Advanced Text – Scizz-Soft
SMCA – HackMew

Here you are guys, a nice, and very crummy banner until we can get a decent one.
banner1vm.png

Last edited:

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
Years
Hey, this looks really good! I love the sprites. =D And the only problem I see is the trees. They need shadows. That's it. Other than that, it's good. =] Except Route 231. The sand/water (beach edge) messes the whole thing up.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
First off, I love your story, and the features are basic, but it's refreshing to see a newer hacker not promising what he can't deliver. Then I got down to the maps. Oh my. You have many errors and oddities, grass placement isn't good, mountain tiles messed up, no tree shadows, stairs being used incorrectly... The list goes on. The concepts for your towns and routes are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but their implementation would, honestly, make this game nearly unplayable for me. Take a look in the map rating and review thread in the ROMHacking section. Study the maps there and the reactions they got, you should see what you're doing wrong after a couple pages. Or better yet, post a map in there for review. Also, open up the original Firered in Advance Map and study how certain tiles should be used, especially stairs and mountains. Improve your mapping, and this will be one of the more interesting hacks out there! Good luck!

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
Years
First off, I love your story, and the features are basic, but it's refreshing to see a newer hacker not promising what he can't deliver. Then I got down to the maps. Oh my. You have many errors and oddities, grass placement isn't good, mountain tiles messed up, no tree shadows, stairs being used incorrectly... The list goes on. The concepts for your towns and routes are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but their implementation would, honestly, make this game nearly unplayable for me. Take a look in the map rating and review thread in the ROMHacking section. Study the maps there and the reactions they got, you should see what you're doing wrong after a couple pages. Or better yet, post a map in there for review. Also, open up the original Firered in Advance Map and study how certain tiles should be used, especially stairs and mountains. Improve your mapping, and this will be one of the more interesting hacks out there! Good luck!

I agree with Deokishisu, story is good, not thriling but good, but your maps really need a change! Honestly the only map I like is those falls, even though it would be better without that water current circle in the middle of the lake. Redo your maps and this will be one hell of a hack!

kablamo

Straight from NewZealand
Years
Wow

That looks pretty amazing already, except in my opinion, route 232, it looks to spacious and confusing if you were to play it. e.g, unsure of where to go

ChaosNinjat

Dragon Ranger
Years
Ok guys, I've uploaded some sprites of the main characters for you guys to have a look at. I've also done a makeover of Petayre Town, but like Deokishisu suggested, I've uploaded it onto the Map Rating/Review Thread first, before putting it on here. I'm gonna wait to see what kind of review it gets before tackling the other maps, but feel free to go have a look at it for yourselves.

Ven

Tyrian
Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2011
I swear to god this said pokemon lupus version.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
I like the OW of the male heroine, It's professional. :O

I haven't seen any scripts in the screenshot so I can't give any advice. Just with your mapping. I think you need to learn the right usage of the tiles as well as learning and knowing what you can do or simply what are your other skills in mapping besides being creative. I bet you can do such great maps since I can see your hope within your maps.

And BTW, I love the name Lapis. <3

Good luck.

Burning Glacier

Chill Out... Fire...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2010
Nice hack!

The storyline is great, but you might need some new tiles.

By the way, Nice mapping at the waterfall map!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
sangralefallsscreenshot.png

This map has things wrong with it :/
When the player gets surf They can easily go down the waterfalls and be stuck because they dont have enough badges or the correct HM
and the one on the left form the path has a major error
When u go down the waterfall u'll be stuck on the Mountain bit
ANd theres a tree with a mountian behond it when tehre is suppose to be

Micro SD

HubbaBubba
Years
Lapis... haven't heard that name in a while, so good job on originality. The maps aren't too bad it's just a few little things here and there. They're the kinda things that a little practice and constructive critique can fix.

Good job and keep it up!!

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2010
Agreed, maybe some cave implementation would fix that :D (Of course that has to be navigable as well...)

EDIT: I agree with two spaces up (I can't quote yet... sadface)

ChaosNinjat

Dragon Ranger
Years
sangralefallsscreenshot.png

This map has things wrong with it :/
When the player gets surf They can easily go down the waterfalls and be stuck because they dont have enough badges or the correct HM

Ahh, yes, I can see where your concern is coming from, but I have thought about most of these, and I've come up with these solutions:
I'm hoping to get someone to make a script for me that stops a player from going down the waterfall too soon, with a warning saying something like "This waterfall is too dangerous to navigate down without a proper move to help". This can then be lifted when the player acquires the HM Waterfall.

Yehh, thanks for pointing this out, I've noticed this now, and will get onto fixing it shortly :).

I'm planning on having a warning there saying, "Wow, there's sharp rocks at the bottom, I'd better find a better place to descend."

So there is, never noticed that :P. I'm planning on redoing the tree's either side of the path, so that'll get fixed when I'm doing that.

The storyline is great, but you might need some new tiles.!
I'm hoping to get/have made a new tileset, so bear with me :D.

Hope this answers a few concerns anyone had :).

Plus I'd like to thank everyone who's shown support for my hack, it's really appreciated :).

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Hmm.... Those rocks look sharp(Would be good for suicide when i lose a battle xD)

Anyway
The Ow's are good
And the stroy and maps
Mountian looks complicated (WIll keep players on their toes)

Back