• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainer Battle BGM not working at all

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Hey guys, this issue happened on the last few weeks and it's one of the first times I have NO IDEA on what's going on and how to fix. As the title says, trainer BGM isn't working nad I've already narrowed down the problem, but still can't find a solution. Here is what I know:

-It has nothing to do with scripts, I tried using the default Essentials script files and it still doesn't work (I never made changes to any audio related script...).

-It has nothing to do with the mp3 file.

-When I do a DEBUG trainer battle THE BGM PLAYS.

-In Gym/Rival battles IT WORKS (can this be related to pbtrainerend or pbnoticeplayer etc??).

-Wild battles are fine.

-Cries, menu sounds... everything else plays just fine, it's just the bgm that has problems.

Don't come suggesting workaround please, I need solutions =/. BTW, I get no error windows...

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Check the bit-rate of the mp3 file. If it is something like 320 kbps it won't work. I had the same problems. I found that 128 kbps works the best with RMXP, but if you want higher quality, 220 kbps worked for me as well. I haven't tested out too many mp3 files, but higher than that, never worked for me.

If the problem is what I suggested, Audacity can easily export your mp3 files in 128 kbps bit-rate.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Check the bit-rate of the mp3 file. If it is something like 320 kbps it won't work. I had the same problems. I found that 128 kbps works the best with RMXP, but if you want higher quality, 220 kbps worked for me as well. I haven't tested out too many mp3 files, but higher than that, never worked for me.

If the problem is what I suggested, Audacity can easily export your mp3 files in 128 kbps bit-rate.

I've tried that... I've tried using midis, using .ogg... nothing works. It isn't script, it isn't pbs, it isn't the audio file. No matter what I do, regular trainer bgm won't play. I have no idea if a file could have gotten corrupted or something. This is the weirdest bug I faced since 2008. =/

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Try replacing or removing the Audio dll. I don't know what else to say, at first it sounded just like simple RMXP incompatibility. Is it like that for all Trainer Battle BGMs or just one?

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Audio.dll isn't part of Essentials anymore. I noticed the game hangs for a couple of seconds the first time I get noticed by a trainer. This probably has to do with it since it didn't use to happen.

ambalance

Vorpal_Rabbit
Years
I've recently encountered the same issue. As in, the exact same. My trainer battle BGM doesn't work for any trainers, save for a BUG CATCHER. I attempted reimporting the music files, testing to see if other extensions would work, changing the unique BGM for each trainer, each map and even trying to play a BGM with a script. Nothing worked.
I even copied my entire game's data to the updated version of Essentials, but I am having the same issue. Can anyone help us?

I'm pretty sure it isn't down to the bitrate of the BGM files, seeing as my desired BGM works in a battle with a bug catcher, but not for a youngster, firebreather, cooltrainer, etc.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
I've recently encountered the same issue. As in, the exact same. My trainer battle BGM doesn't work for any trainers, save for a BUG CATCHER. I attempted reimporting the music files, testing to see if other extensions would work, changing the unique BGM for each trainer, each map and even trying to play a BGM with a script. Nothing worked.
I even copied my entire game's data to the updated version of Essentials, but I am having the same issue. Can anyone help us?

I'm pretty sure it isn't down to the bitrate of the BGM files, seeing as my desired BGM works in a battle with a bug catcher, but not for a youngster, firebreather, cooltrainer, etc.

What bugs me more is that debug trainer battle works, so does when you use the change battle bgm command. what is even worse is that it happens with unedited Essentials script. (but it doesn't happen when I play the raw Essentials example game)

ambalance

Vorpal_Rabbit
Years
I thought maybe it might have something to do with my map sizes, seeing as I have large maps. I thought it might have something to do with lag, but it seems it doesn't. Still bugging me. I'm out of options!!

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Find this line in PoemonUtilities:
Code:
 pbMEPlay(bgm)

Comment it and add this:
Code:
 Audio.bgm_play("Audio/ME/#{bgm.name}",bgm.volume,bgm.pitch)

There you go, it's fixed for good. pbMEPlay is just a bad method. For some reason it tends to f*** with what comes next (the battle bgm) because of unknow reasons that have to do with the trainer intro ME (which I noticed having some lag at the first time it plays). Audio.bgm_play was the one used the most in older versions of Essentials, and so far it has been way more realiable to me :)

Back