• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Tried out the closed beta of Gwent today, and I can already tell I'm downloading it the moment the full release hits. Fascinating strategy card game.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
So anyone looking forward to any video games coming out soon? (:

tom-clancy-ghost-recon-wildlands-e3-2016-trailer-1.jpg

I know I'm going to get burned again by Ubi-downgrade but I enjoyed the closed beta and am excited to crush the Open tomorrow.

Plus I love military sandbox (maybe one day my true dream of open world Insurgency style game with customization will come out to dethrone ARMA)

Arsenic

Years
Yesssss sir it is!

Here's hoping they at least changed their wonky-ass flight controls even I know they more than likely didn't

Yukari

I actually hadn't bothered looking into Horizon Zero Dawn until I saw it here.

... I might have to look into it more.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Saw it at E3 in...2015, it must've been (since, at the time, I remember thinking that I just wouldn't get it because I didn't have a PS4). Yeah, it's actually the PS4 game I'm looking forward to most atm. Persona 5 notwithstanding, of course.

But yeah, it looks as solid as ever. It'll be nice to have another non-Ubi AAA Open World Action game out in the wild. Feels like it's been a while.

Arsenic

Years
Saw it at E3 in...2015, it must've been (since, at the time, I remember thinking that I just wouldn't get it because I didn't have a PS4). Yeah, it's actually the PS4 game I'm looking forward to most atm. Persona 5 notwithstanding, of course.

But yeah, it looks as solid as ever. It'll be nice to have another non-Ubi AAA Open World Action game out in the wild. Feels like it's been a while.

You went to 2015 e3?

You arent going to 2017 are you?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Going out to E3 is a bucket list item of mine, and the fact that they are opening it up to the public makes me very excited. I'll have to fly out there sometime. In the meantime, I'll just enjoying going to PAX East again this year for the fourth time woot woot!

Can someone please explain to me the Persona series of games? I know that it's popular on the PlayStation, but I honestly know squat about it.

Arsenic

Years
Going out to E3 is a bucket list item of mine, and the fact that they are opening it up to the public makes me very excited. I'll have to fly out there sometime. In the meantime, I'll just enjoying going to PAX East again this year for the fourth time woot woot!

Can someone please explain to me the Persona series of games? I know that it's popular on the PlayStation, but I honestly know squat about it.

Might not be open to public again next year and its a limited run of tickets. The event has said that themselves. I only got mine by waiting in a digital line (which is even more insulting than a normal line) for an hour and a half (I figured clicking within a minute might grab me one of those early bird "first 1k get 100 off" tickets but nope, #8769 in line).

I cannot explain those games for you sadly as if I were to even touch them I would have a break out and die since I'm allergic.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Might not be open to public again next year and its a limited run of tickets. The event has said that themselves. I only got mine by waiting in a digital line (which is even more insulting than a normal line) for an hour and a half (I figured clicking within a minute might grab me one of those early bird "first 1k get 100 off" tickets but nope, #8769 in line).

I cannot explain those games for you sadly as if I were to even touch them I would have a break out and die since I'm allergic.

To be fair, the "digital line" isn't new when it comes to buying tickets - happens al the time when you are ordering tickets through sites like Ticketmaster and Live Nation. Consider the fact also that this is the first time that tickets went available to a public and demand for it was going to be extremely high, I'm not surprised that there were going to be issues. That's to be expected and should be fleshed out better if they do choose to go down that road again in the future.

I'll have to ask Satoshi Ookama or someone like that - I think he/she has a good grasp on the series.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
You went to 2015 e3?

You arent going to 2017 are you?
Nah, didn't go, I just view it every year. Still haven't been to a gaming convention, though I'd certainly love to one of these days.

For merch, mostly. I still don't really get the appeal. I understand it, but it's like...I dunno. Generally I get more out of the announcements that follow from these things than I actually see myself getting from being at the experiences, myself. I'd be interested to try, though. The energy of it all definitely seems fun in its own rite.

Damn, I thought Dragon'd jump on this ASAP...

Persona's generally discussed in two parts: Persona 3 and Persona 4 are the first, every other piece of Persona media is the second. I'd mention Persona 5, but let's just focus on the first part for now.

The games are one-part Life Sim, one-part Dungeon Crawler, and that's pretty much all you need to know to understand why their popular. Time outside of dungeons is spent making friends, bettering your non-battle stats (which enable you to make new friends in the way of Social Links, do more activities, among other things), and go to school to contribute to both of the former. This part's pretty easy to chill out to and is definitely a large reason that this part of Persona is so popular while the non-3/4 ones are far less so, since they're pretty straightforward dungeon crawlers in the way of the main Shin Megami Tensei series.

As such, it's pretty safe to say that how much you put yourself into the experience really determines what you'll get out of it. Persona 4, which is my favorite in the franchise, didn't have a great true ending, but for me and a lot of others that share their thoughts on the game, saying goodbye to this town you've spent so much time with really does hit you like a rock, especially since this game in particular has some pretty relatable characters. It's that investment that really makes or breaks the fun of this segment, and it'll ultimately be what you look back on after all's said and done.

But other than that, there's a lot to do and it's rare that you'll feel like there isn't some meaningful way to spend your time outside of dungeons. This is helped by the fact that a lot of what you do in the life-sim aspect aids you when you end up going dungeon crawling. And the dungeon crawling is pretty standard SMT fare (minus the demon conversations). If you haven't dipped your toes into SMT and don't know what it is, then basically, it's a game of exploiting weaknesses. Kinda like Pokemon, but put to different strategic effect than just boosted numbers. I could explain how it works buuut this is getting a little long as it is. Outside of battle, there's persona fusion, which is one of the most important aspects of this entire series. The sooner you figure this out, the better off you'll be.

And to just cap this off, I'll say that, at least in the case of 4 (though I know several people, Satoshi among them, will make a case for 3) if you're kind of turned off because it seems a little too niche and JRPG...there's a reason Persona 5 is so hyped. There's a reason that Persona started selling well after Atlus started their marketing campaign for Persona 4 Golden. And there's a reason that people generally love or hate the games and there's no in between. The games have appeal in the same way you're anti-anime fan could go on for hours about how they love Attack on Titan. Yeah, Persona's about highschool kids saving the world, and yeah, there's a bit of drama and tropes lying here and there, but it's the execution that really gives the game its own identity and makes it something even the most casual of consumers is capable of getting down to.

...And that's my spiel. Sorry for getting so far into that <_<

Arsenic

Years
So a couple days ago now Bungie spilled some beans on how transfer to Destiny 2 will work.

If youre level 20 and beat the original "story" you can have your physical appearance transfer. They said you might also get a couple of goodies for having done certain things.

So basically all that grinding was meaningless.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Good. I'm more likely to get Destiny 2 now. I love the idea of a fresh start.

Give me matchmaking in raids, and I'll lean even more towards buying it.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
So a couple days ago now Bungie spilled some beans on how transfer to Destiny 2 will work.

If youre level 20 and beat the original "story" you can have your physical appearance transfer. They said you might also get a couple of goodies for having done certain things.

So basically all that grinding was meaningless.

Good. I'm more likely to get Destiny 2 now. I love the idea of a fresh start.

Give me matchmaking in raids, and I'll lean even more towards buying it.

How do you guys feel though about all the weapons, Eververse items, and other items that might have been bought in Destiny 1 not being transferrable to Destiny 2? Asking as an individual who has probably put in 1000+ hours into Destiny 1 (I'm not proud of that stat lol.)

Arsenic

Years
My official statement is similar
1483991323839.png

I could care less.

Its probably for the better anyways. Fresh start means they can do more with the early story. Then again the fact that you can import your character at all means you're already starting as king-ultra-badass the 3rd, who has fought the worst species in the galaxy and arguably won.

As far as D2 goes I really hope they pull less on the momo strings, and more in the Halo strings. Tight fighting, important battles and a story about the last remnants of a species. I mean where is the City Military. Why do you never have assaults with them. Human vehicles?

Destiny 2 needs to have more missions with the feeling of the missions of Halo 3 and Reach imo. Humanity actually fighting back as a whole, and youre just a piece of the the machine. A giant ass alien massacring cog in the machine, but still not the *entire* effort in one man/flamboyantpurplething/robot. Of course I know youre more meant to be a strike team, but it cant hurt to have a few missions with this feeling? Then again Halo had plenty of parts with just a strike team fighting as well.

I'd also like to see more of actual civilization both alive and dead. The City's streets, dead towns in the mountains, the European Dead Zone. I love walking across barren industrial sites and empty badlands as much as the next guy, but I mean come one! While I'm at it, map design. Giant loops are terrible. I feel like there is so much wasted space.

I could probably go on and on but I'm going to restrain myself.

Back