• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How long did it take you to notice?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This is for Ruby and Sapphire versions only:

How long did it take you to notice the things not really covered in the story like

Sky Pillar
Shoal Cave
Regi's Hideouts.

And stuff like that?

Took me 2 times playing through to find all 3.
Wasn't really mentioned well in game.

And the braille thing was difficult to figure out without the internet.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2014
My first Gen III game was Emerald (which is the only one I had as a kid) when I was 8 and I was pretty dumb.. I didn't even know about the Regi's, I looked in Shoal Cave for a Spheal nothing more, and Sky Pillar - damnn. I didn't know about the Mach Bike thing so no I kept failing. I ended up giving up before the Elite 4 because I sucked so bad.

The next time I picked up Emerald (still only had Emerald) I had a Guide Book so for Shoal Cave I did it easily. Sky Pillar I had to try a million times but I got Rayquaza in the end. And the Regi's I tried Regice and I got it easily, Regirock was harder and I never managed to get Registeel.

Now if I try I can do all three with my eyes closed lol

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I knew about that cave that opens the Regicaves. But I didn't know what it does. Also I spent an eternity trying to unlock the code and wasted my whole battery on it. I never knew about the Sky Pillar, but knew about the Shoal Cave. Guess I never thought of exploring the part where the tower was, since the path was blocked pre-E4.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I knew the Shoal Cave was there on my first playthrough, cause I went in. And I got the guide book later on when I was in the 8th gym, I think, so I saw the Regi stuff and Sky Pillar. I do think that the Regis are a great legendary trio though because they're actually hard to find, and then unlocking them can be a pain. I think it's the way legendaries should be instead of just thrown out to you. Even roamers are somewhat better than those sort of legendaries, but I digress. That's what I liked about Hoenn. It had a lot to explore, especially in Emerald. Tons of fun. Can't say I enjoy exploring in games as much as I used to though, haha. But when you're a kid, it's great to discover new places, especially when the internet isn't always available. Didn't have my own laptop when I was 10/11 ya know.

Now, if you wanna bring up places people might not know about RSE, Mirage Island man. I've still never been there lmao. If you didn't have a book or didn't look up stuff online, you probably would have never known. Until you read this post... As for things that you may not know about...well, just this year I learned that in double battles in Emerald (idk about RS), if you press start in the battle, you can change your HP bar to display numbers, like 109/109 for HP instead of just the bar without numbers showing. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
~Wow.
I did not know about that number thing.
Thanks for the tip. xD

As for mirage island.
Never been there, and probably never will, from what i've heard it's not worth it.

Khawill

<3
Years
I know as a kid I went into shoal cave just to see if I could find anything, but I really didn't see anything that made me want to go farther in. I had to look up sky pillar but I did it without a guide. Also I accidentally found the first clue for regis (the part with all the currents) but had no idea what the stone was, or what it said (I had to look up exactly what to do after that).
I didn't like the regis as a kid, I always liked normal (non-legendaries that is) pokemon because I didn't really pay attention to stats or anything, I'd just grind until I could beat everything (I did the elite four soooo many times lol)

Years
I found everything except shoal cave but I was using internet
I really wont to catch some pokemon in shoal cave but whatever :D

Years
I knew about shoal cave on my first or second playthrough, I believe. As for Sky Pillar and the Regi Hideouts, I learned about those by my second or third playthrough, though I've never actually BEEN to either locations as I always restart Sapphire since I love it so much. :D

Pinta77

It took me awhile. When i first found sky pillar, i thought it was where u catch registeel. @~@ and dont get me started about catching the regis... It took me and all my friends to finally figure it out. We were writing the brail down on paper... Ugh, wish i knew about youtube back then.

So id say about a year all together.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Shoal cave and the Regi caves were pretty easy for me to find,since I constantly went along those routes.(Regice was the last one I found.)
Sky Pillar on the other hand...well to be honest I had talked to the old guy in pacifidlog town and was looking for mirage island,which I never found,and that's when I saw Sky Pillar.
(Little did I know that the death of the internal battery meant that Mirage Island would never appear... :<)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I noticed them all pretty much instantly since I have a habit of exploring literally everything I can haha. I try and take all the detours and dead-end paths just because there's usually something at the end of them like items or whatnot, so I didn't really have a problem stumbling across these places. The regi ones were slightly different since at first they just seemed like weird rocks with dots on them, but after getting bored one day and noticing the Braille guide in the RS manual I tried decoding them and found the golems no problem :p

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
Shoal Cake was pretty easy to notice... I already know Sky Pillar before I played Emerald and for the Regis Hideout, I only knew that when I accidentally found the entrance of the Wailord, Relincanth thing, I forgot the name, and I read it online on what it was... lool

11wildy

Me!
Years
I remember trying to solve the braille, but it was in the room where you need to stay still, so when we finally solved it, the door was already open.. xD

Years
I found shoal cave and sky pillar the first time I played through Sapphire, mainly because I looked everywhere in the game. I was also able to get to Mirage Island right after I beat the Elite 4 cause I remember talking to that old man like tons of times before and him never seeing it (I wanted to go to Mirage Island before the Elite 4), so after I checked in with him again, I almost had a heart attack when he said he saw the Island! To bad the internal battery died...

As for the Regis, I didn't even try to understand it after I went into the cavern and saw the braille. I replayed the game three or four times before I finally got online to figure out the braille (which is bad because I actually had a Relicanth and Wailord on my first game XD)

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
It's surprising how many people don't know about Sky Pillar. I thought it was better known. I think that the fact of being a hidden location before E4 made so many people had troubles finding it.

About the Regis' caves, I have to say it's been the hardest thing I've ever done in a Pokemon game. I mean, I knew they existed and I knew where I had to go to unlock the three caves but, what I didn't know was how to use Wailord and Relicanth to make it work... it took me maaaany time to figure it out and, in fact, if a friend hadn't told me how to make it, i would probably never have visited those caves.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
My friend had told about how to solve the underwater cave thing to open the regi caves but i was clueless on how to open the doors in each cave it was months later that i realised that it was braille(which i found out while studying for my exams lol )

Back