• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Third Game Name

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah, I think Z is the obvious choice here, buuut they can always throw a curve ball and name it after one of the speculated trio pokemon... whatever they will be. Sort of like they did with pokemon crystal. Like said above, I too, guess the third game will ultimately be named by a very significant legendary or (legendaries).

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Well, the obvious choice is Z, isn't it? X and Y doesn't really sound complete with out Z, well at least for me. Unless they decide on making 2 sequels, like B/W2, the name for the third game should be Z. It's the only choice that makes sense.
just watch as it's named A

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I want to say Z, but maybe not, hell, Black and White surprised me, I was 100000000% sure it would be Gray xD But what would the Trio leader's name be with Z?

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Z, because it completes the 3D thing. Three plains of X, Y, Z. Only makes logical sense, than again a lot of what pokemon does isn't logical.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
Oh and a Serpent represents rebirth too fitting the Life-Death-Rebirth theme prediction some of us have.
I think it seems more obvious that Z will follow the 3D theme rather than life and death (they're rather morbid themes for a kid's game!). See here:
On the 3D axis, X is horizontal (left-right) while Y is vertical (up-down). Xerneas is land-based (X-axis) and Yveltal is sky-based (Y-axis). So this leaves the Z-axis which is depth. I feel like we're more likely to get something in that area (transdimensional creature? Deep-sea serpent? Underground monster? Heck, even deep space is a possibility!) than rebirth.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Pokémon Z seems like the obvious choice here, as said many times already. The only other two ideas that I can think of are Pokémon XY, to follow through with the chromosomes theory, or Pokémon X2 and Y2. I like the use of exponents here.

But as Black and White have shown us, there doesn't necessarily have to be a third game. There are other options GameFreak can follow through on now that they haven't done before.

I think it seems more obvious that Z will follow the 3D theme rather than life and death (they're rather morbid themes for a kid's game!). See here:
On the 3D axis, X is horizontal (left-right) while Y is vertical (up-down). Xerneas is land-based (X-axis) and Yveltal is sky-based (Y-axis). So this leaves the Z-axis which is depth. I feel like we're more likely to get something in that area (transdimensional creature? Deep-sea serpent? Underground monster? Heck, even deep space is a possibility!) than rebirth.
If we get a Pokémon Z as the third game, then I sincerely hope it's a serpent-like creature. It's the only one I can see representing the letter 'Z' without looking, well, weird. One that dwells underground or within the deep sea would be cool. It could move in zigzags if need be. Just as how Xerneas would look like an 'X' with its front legs spread apart.

I'm not sure if I'm on board with it being from a trans-dimension though. Seems too reminiscent of Giratina.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
If we get a Pokémon Z as the third game, then I sincerely hope it's a serpent-like creature. It's the only one I can see representing the letter 'Z' without looking, well, weird. One that dwells underground or within the deep sea would be cool. It could move in zigzags if need be. Just as how Xerneas would look like an 'X' with its front legs spread apart.

I'm not sure if I'm on board with it being from a trans-dimension though. Seems too reminiscent of Giratina.

Yeah, it is a bit too soon to have another Pokemon from a different dimension, but I just had a bit of a brainwave regarding my own post when I read your reply.
We know X and Y are based both on spatial dimensions (due to the fact that it's the first 3D Pokemon game) as well as genetics and chromosomes (due to the double helix in the Japanese logo). Following on with the "depth" theme, specifically the "deep space" part of my post... What if we're going to get some big bad cousin of Deoxys, our friendly being from outer space with the ability to alter its DNA?
An alien Pokemon would be easy for Game Freak to make into a "Z" shape.
On one hand, I think it's a reasonable theory, but on the other, I sincerely hope they don't make some space demon thing.

/end brain spray

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

^ I think an Alien shaped in a Z that has no resemblance to a serpent would be ridiculous.

User19sq

Everyone says Z, nd about half of them say it might also be X2 and Y2. Others even say XX and XY, anda friend of mine even says "Zero" becaue it'll be the "undefined" version of the trio, and so far, the names will get more complcated down the road. XD;

I say, if the games are as flat as everything before Black and White, it'll be Z. But i the plot is heavy and juicy, it might be X2/XX and Y2/XY.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Lol nice pun there saying XYZ are flat (the three represent 3D). They can make a juicy plot and name it whatever they want.
I hope that the third legend has blue eyes finishing up the blue eyed trio theory I had since Sinnoh, (Sinnoh was the red eyes trio, and Hoenn had the yellow eyed trio which lead me to believe we will have a blue eyed trio eventually, interestingly Unova had all three.)

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
X² and Y², to make things sound cool :P

Seriously, though, if they do make a third game and don't pull a BW2, it'll probably be Z, or maybe O (as in, the blood type, which I guess sort of has to do with DNA, though not entirely). Or, if Nintendo wants to pull a BW2, they could use what I suggested (or just make it a boring X2 and Y2) or they could do Pokemon A and Pokemon B. (Again, blood types.)

Last edited:

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
Given the Japanese logo (i.e., the DNA helix in the ン), I'm going to totally ignore the idea of a Pokémon Z Version, though I won't rule it out entirely. They're gonna have to explain the DNA helices in the pair to make up for this if they decide to swap to spacial dimensions in essentially the same game.

In terms of a third game, XY seems to be the most believable. However, we shouldn't be surprised if there's an XX/XY pair as a sequel.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I know that lol. I'm talking about the in story theme which seems to be different from the XYZ axis thing given the DNA in the logo.

I like the idea of a Deep Sea Serpent, than this trio will live in the same biomes as the Weather trio ^_^ (Than I'll use that as a remake hint ;) ).

XX, XY seems likely but the gender thing would seem strange.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
Tbh, it seems that Z seems predictable, like Gray did. I bet GF wants to change it up again and make sequels instead of a third game or maybe even remakes... :3

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm thinking that it's either going to be Pokémon X² and Y², or Pokémon Z. Given that the previous games had sequels, while games before that had a single game that had improved visual quality and new formes.

Victini

... I have no expectations for a third game ever since they broke the three game pattern with B2W2. ^^;;

But, the first thing I thought of when I heard X and Y versions was the X-Y Axis, not the letters.

So... Axis version. Just to be a rebel. :B

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
Well, since Pokemon Grey was originally meant to exist but Nintendo told Game Freak to either move up to 3DS or do something "big", I'd assume GF are going to be back in their old comfort zone of having a simple 3rd version. I've still got my heart set on Z.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2014
X and Y are graphing coordinates for 2D images, so having Z (used in graphing for image depth) at the title for a 'third dimension' 3D game makes perfect sense.

Back