• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Amnesia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
Intro: Yup, this is Hedgehogger, again, taking another crack at hacking. After about 6 months of learning new things and from past mistakes, I figured it was about time to get back into the game. Sadly, I have 2 failures behind me (AlterKanto and Azure Blue); AlterKanto just plain sucked, and my head was too big for my shoulders while making Azure Blue, because I
still had a lot to learn...and to me, it still had that "Ruby" feel to it. Anyhow, I'm trying to go as hard as possible at keeping this one alive till it's completed.

Hack of: Fire Red​

Story: You're 12 years old in the region of Verde. You've already beaten the Pokemon League and are well-known throughout most of the land. Life's going good, and one day you have a little friendly battle with your rival. Your rival's signature Pokemon, a Dusclops, prepares to execute a Curse move on your Pokemon. At the last second, as it unleashes the move, a small rock, a meteorite, 1/4 the size of a baseball, comes out of nowhere from the sky and streaks straight at you! The Dusclops is distracted and startled, and accidentally lays the curse on you. Your Pokemon floats upwards and moves almost instinctively, in front of you and straight in the meteorite's path, loyally risking its own life for YOU, it's Trainer. Your Pokemon is lethally pierced, and before you can comprehend, you're stricken and you black out.

Something strange happens...A mysterious force was at work during the meteor's hit. Later on, you somehow wake up 5 years later without your Pokemon. After having a mysterious dream with a somewhat-familiar figure in it, you suddenly wake up from your coma in your own room. After speaking to your mother, you visit the local doctor (who coincidentally earned his M.D. in Pokemon Research while you had been knocked out), who says that to help your amnesia, you should re-travel the land in which you had once already conquered...and to help the lazy doc get work done on the Pokedex project assigned to him. What happens next? Why aren't you dead, and who or what prevented this from happening? Play and find out!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Features:
386 Pokemon
Game focuses more on events and scripts rather than the Gym & Pokedex System
New Leaders
New Region
New Scripts
Different Palettes
OMGZ TEH PLAYER ACTUALLY SPEAKS!!11!
New Trainers

Weird Happenings (Glitches, oddities, and other things that may need fixing in the game)
IF YOU FIND ANY, REPORT THEM IN THIS THREAD.

1. The script that makes your mom speak to you can be re-activated over and over again
2. The funky water palette (I might change it)
3. On the lower part of Route 1, you see glitched tiles on where the upper left corner of Emerald Park is; this is a tileset error.
4. I need to make new OW's for the heroine, Dr. Shale, and the rival.
5. I need to make new sprites for the rival and the heroine.
6. I need someone who can: Edit music, change the title screen, and change the world map.
7. I'll be working on this hack regularly, but updating may be hard because I won't be online often...
8. That sign in Hollow Bluff will crash your game if you "talk" to it. I have to fix its script.
9. In the second Gym, if you press "A" while the player is crossing the water, you will be stuck there and unable to walk back on land. Best to save when you enter the second Gym.
10. When you come off Route 2 into Roule City, there's a Cut Tree sitting on water, but when you're in Roule City, it disappears.
11. Yeah, I know the TitleScreen isn't edited yet. I figured out how to do it, all that's left is just me making it say "Amnesia" in place of where it says "Fire Red." Once I do that, I can put the TitleScreen in.
12. I DONE BORKED TEH TOURNEY HALL!!111!! Okay. There's been a little problem in Advance Map with the Tourney Hall's actual event room not working. I'm trying to fix it as quickly as possible. When I do, I'll re-post BETA 4. Until then...Have fun not participating in tournaments. )':
Downloads:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
From what I've seen so far, I like it. It's pretty simple, but that's not a bad thing. More scripts to change though. The Aides in the lab still talk about Prof. Oak.

What I absolutely love are the starter choices. They fit the theme perfectly.

Not crazy about the male hero's design though.

Something odd I noticed is that all of the events seem to repeat. Not sure if this is intended, but I ended up picking up both Psyduck and Slowpoke.

Last edited:

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
Years
There are a few thing about the storyline that just don't add up. For one, wouldn't a meteoroid hitting somebody in the head knock them unconcious (and even that is stretching the concepts of the imagination in a game). Sorry, but a random meteoroid (unless it has some other significacne) hitting the main character in the head, then being Cursed (which seems to have a more profound effect than the meteoroid, as you said lethal) is kind of odd. Even if it just zoomed by close enough to distract the Dusclops would be less of a stretch.

But that's about all I can critique, since the rest seems pretty good and I can't play it for a while. Either way, good luck on this hack, and I hope you can get it finished.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
honestly, that meteor could even kill him... :\
Anyways, I hope, in the hack, you'll put the meteor's story in the game...

Anyways, best of luck! I'll download it for later.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Honestly, I love the literal Amnesia aspect of the game. Great story idea, except for the explanation for the amnesia (The Meteor). The graphics look great too.

I plan to give this one a spin when the time comes.

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
Years
Here are some bugs:
1. If you faint before reaching the first Pokecent you have to do the entire first part of the game again....
2. When that happens and you pick a Pokémon you will then have two Pokémon instead of one....
3. The man on the first Route is talking about Varidian City....
4. How are you suppose to beat a gastly with Pokémon what only know normal type moves?
5. Mapping errors in the first town....
6. Mapping errors on the lakes in emerald park.

I like it a lot though....review your maps...

Saurav

~`;I am the Frozen Sun;`~
Years
By looking at "adamb241's" report I might take it abit later when there is less trouble "^^...

but your hack looks great and love the overworld of the player but not the front sprite "^^....

anyway good luck :)

Hedgehogger

Years
Well, this is interesting...I honestly didn't expect it to occur like this, but I have 2 options regarding the game:

1. Completely change the "meteor" plot and make something else
2. Put in some further details later in the game to bring the logic back in, because honestly, when I thought of the idea for this game last January, I don't know why I didn't put much thought into defining the line between actuality and fiction.

But I've decided that there will be some 'hidden' details regarding why the player didn;t die. While this issue may not be prevalent till the second Beta, I'll make that another factor the player has to discover throughout the game's story.

But anyway, time to start quote-knocking.

Here are some bugs:
1. If you faint before reaching the first Pokecent you have to do the entire first part of the game again....
2. When that happens and you pick a Pokémon you will then have two Pokémon instead of one....
4. How are you suppose to beat a gastly with Pokémon what only know normal type moves?

2. Are you serious? That's weird...the flag should be permanently set once you get the first Pokemon. I'll have to look into that one.
3. That came from sheer laziness on my part. I'll fix that asap.
4. On Route 1, you can catch wild Doduo's if you have enough Pokeballs. I sort of intended that to prompt you to have a flying Pokemon early, so you could handle the first Gym Leader. And the first person you battle isn't a forced battle, so you can walk right past him.
5 + 6: Could you point them out? Describe them a bit?

From what I've seen so far, I like it. It's pretty simple, but that's not a bad thing. More scripts to change though. The Aides in the lab still talk about Prof. Oak.

What I absolutely love are the starter choices. They fit the theme perfectly.

Not crazy about the male hero's design though.

Something odd I noticed is that all of the events seem to repeat. Not sure if this is intended, but I ended up picking up both Psyduck and Slowpoke.

ALL of the events? And when you picked up Psyduck and Slowpoke, did you also happen to faint before reaching the first PokeCenter?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
No, I didn't faint, but I had taken a brake. I saved, and continued later, if that might be related.

BlackCharizard

Black Charizard
Years
Here are some bugs:

1. I fainted plenty of times and didn't have to redo anything. I can't even find my way to the first pokemon center, I reach a dead end :/ Is it supposed to stop, like a demo?
2. Didn't encounter this problem
3. Yea
4. Catch a doduo and use peck. You can get pokeballs from the assistant in the lab, in fact, you can keep getting them over and over.

Anyway, I really like where this hack is headed, the maps are interesting and the starters were a great choice

Hedgehogger

Years
1. I fainted plenty of times and didn't have to redo anything. I can't even find my way to the first pokemon center, I reach a dead end :/ Is it supposed to stop, like a demo?
2. Didn't encounter this problem
3. Yea
4. Catch a doduo and use peck. You can get pokeballs from the assistant in the lab, in fact, you can keep getting them over and over.

Anyway, I really like where this hack is headed, the maps are interesting and the starters were a great choice

1. Er, where is the dead end you're at?
4. Over and over, you say? Weird. I'm not sure if it's either my scripts or the ROMs at this point...

And thanks. ;)

aerowolf

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Apr 11, 2009
*whistles* Wow, this promises to be a good hack if you can pull it off. I'm gonna download the beta now and see what's going on. I REALLY like the idea (all non-realisticness aside...since when has the Pokemon world seriously gone much on realistic ideas?) of getting amnesia and having to go through things again. If I can help in anyway, please, let me know. I'm a novice, but hey, I can do some overworlds for you, at least and beta-test.

EDIT:
A question and idea...

1. How does slowpoke evolve and will you give the player a choice between slowbro or slowking since they can't trade?
2. Perhaps the mom can be changed so after she tells you you're an amnesiac (like after she says she's worried about sending you out), she'll heal your Pokemon like the other games...it helps at the beginning

BTW, I think the dead-end part is where you have to go from the grass to the tiny brown cliff. While it isn't actually a dead-end, traditionally, brown cliff means can't go, so that might be it. Took me a minute or two to figure it out

Last edited:
Years
nice hack...
but...
storyline seems a bit cheesy/flaky...
perhaps a few changes could be made to that?

uhhh...and the hero overworld...seems...transexual kinda...perhaps you could get rid of the pony tail or sumthing?

and the tileset...it is cool...but...it's only a minor difference in the colour...could you not change the trees or something...but i guess it is the beta...

cheers,
sir willis

Hedgehogger

Years
Thanks for posting, guys! Progress on the hack is coming along pretty well, and Beta 2 is practically on the horizons! But a few things I want to address...

nice hack...
but...
storyline seems a bit cheesy/flaky...
perhaps a few changes could be made to that?

uhhh...and the hero overworld...seems...transexual kinda...perhaps you could get rid of the pony tail or sumthing?

and the tileset...it is cool...but...it's only a minor difference in the colour...could you not change the trees or something...but i guess it is the beta...

cheers,
sir willis

As regards the Hero's Overworld, I know it looks kinda fruity (Despite I've seen several people with hairstyles like that), but if you were knocked out for 5 straight years and just woke up, the nearest barber being several miles away, there's not much you could do with your hair...There's the possibility of scissors, but you wouldn't want short, rough, and uneven hair either. Especially if you're a 17 year-old amnesiac.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2008
How can I play it ? I only can download it and now I want to play it but i need anything special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back