• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
It does not allow me to do that.
"File was not saved!"

Also, I'm having troubles with overworlds not being where they're supposed to be... Is there a way I can fix this? (again)
Like, I'll put one in at say, 0003 and 000A, but it'll be in a random place other than that when I actually test the game.

Sounds like a corrupt rom actually with the not-being-able-to-save and mixed up OW. I suggest starting over (and trying to recover your maps) if you're not too far.

OMGWURMPLES!

För Sverige i tiden
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
Sounds like a corrupt rom actually with the not-being-able-to-save and mixed up OW. I suggest starting over (and trying to recover your maps) if you're not too far.
jLFAJSDFKSD This would be my 3rd time starting over, then.
It allows me to save, but just not save as...
Would turning into a compressed file ---> unzipping work as backup?

sakuto0129

Noob
Years
Problem with Advance Maps

I am in the process of making a hacked version of Pokemon Ruby. I was using Advanced Maps fine until one time I got on and the Header screen looked like this. (Look at attachment) I really need to use the Header page and am really confused with this. Please tell me how to change it back if there is a way.

newmexico

College Student
Years
My apologies if this question was already asked but I somehow missed it when I searched...

This is a hardware/software program rather than a question about hacking programs, hex, and all that jazz. I'm working from a laptop, and it's also my computer for school. Are the tools, programs, pictures, and other hacking data going to interfere with my school things on this machine? Or, framed differently, does game hacking require a ton of space or a spectacular image card? Or will I be alright using my little laptop?

Thanks, folks. :)

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Woah, lots of questions!

Hey Community,
I have a question.
I want to load a picture with 256 colours.
Like the worldmap I think.
So I want to know how i must insert this picture and then how can I display it on the screen. I am not the best in ASM, so I don't want to see a complete code or something, I just want an explanation how I can do it and how it works. After that I had thinked of another way like. I want to load a graphic as background, then there are objects which I can select and if I push a another site will be opened with informations.
I hope you can help me, sorry for my bad english and also I hope you can understand me.
Dero
Loading pictures larger than 64x64 sprites requires tilemaps. And using tilemaps requires ASM. I don't personally know how to do it, but feel free to look up the GBATEK and teach yourself.

Hmm, thanks. Seems very complicated though, I don't think I really understand the method. Do I need to patch my Fire Red rom first?

If I understand correctly I can, after applying the patch, easily change my hero sprite by just using this simple script:

However, what are the 0x107, 0x108, 0x109 etc? I can't seem to find that part explained. Also, I've been taught that when I use setvar, I use variables higher than 4000. That doesnt seem possible anymore then apparently.

Help with this is much appreciated!
If you read the manual, you'd know what you're setting the variables to. You set them to be what you want your overworld to change in to. It's set up like: 0xTTPP, with TT being the table number, and PP being the picture number. So, if you wanted to change the players OW to be picture 17, set variable 0x4054 to 0x0017. Also, if you don't know what I'm talking about with "table number", just make it 00.

It might have been the way I backed it up.
Is there a correct way besides just copy and pasting the ROM? I've noticed that when I do that, then AdvanceMap refuses to open up the copy.
File > Create Backup. It'll save it as a .bak file. When you need to use it, change the .bak into a .gba, open both in a hex editor, and copy the entire contents of the backup onto the original. Thats what I do, since using the backup after you turned it into a .gba, it doesn't work on emulators for whatever reason.

Years
@newmexico I've hacked on really, really bad computers and as long as the programmes are compatible with the OS you're using, you should have no trouble. Though I dont know if having ROMs on a school computer is the best idea, you might get into trouble. Maybe lol.

redriders180

Years
My apologies if this question was already asked but I somehow missed it when I searched...

This is a hardware/software program rather than a question about hacking programs, hex, and all that jazz. I'm working from a laptop, and it's also my computer for school. Are the tools, programs, pictures, and other hacking data going to interfere with my school things on this machine? Or, framed differently, does game hacking require a ton of space or a spectacular image card? Or will I be alright using my little laptop?

Thanks, folks. :)

I was able to successfully hack a ROM on my previous computer, which was a tiny little netbook, and I had nearly 30 tools installed on it. My emulator worked smoothly as well, at least for GBA games and below. DS games lagged like nuts, though.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
Woah, lots of questions!
If you read the manual, you'd know what you're setting the variables to. You set them to be what you want your overworld to change in to. It's set up like: 0xTTPP, with TT being the table number, and PP being the picture number. So, if you wanted to change the players OW to be picture 17, set variable 0x4054 to 0x0017. Also, if you don't know what I'm talking about with "table number", just make it 00.

I don't know what you mean with table number. But I think I get it. I read the 0x107 as 107, but it's actually a 1 and 07, where 1 is the table number?

Also: I gave myself a bicycle very early in the game but now I can't seem to use it, even though I am outside. I get the OAK: You can't blabla message. I checked the header but the outside maps have the same options as in the regular Fire Red rom. Cave: Regular, Weather: Regular weather, Type: Route, Fight Type: Random.

What causes this? Do you need to have a Pokémon or something. I can't seem to use my Running Shoes either.

redriders180

Years
I don't know what you mean with table number. But I think I get it. I read the 0x107 as 107, but it's actually a 1 and 07, where 1 is the table number?

Also: I gave myself a bicycle very early in the game but now I can't seem to use it, even though I am outside. I get the OAK: You can't blabla message. I checked the header but the outside maps have the same options as in the regular Fire Red rom. Cave: Regular, Weather: Regular weather, Type: Route, Fight Type: Random.

What causes this? Do you need to have a Pokémon or something. I can't seem to use my Running Shoes either.

Yes, you're right about the table thing. JPANs hack engine uses a table for OWs, which lets you have a lot more than 255 different OWs, like in a normal firered rom. For the defaults, AKA ones in the original game, use table value 0x00. If you add more tables, you'd use 0x1, 0x2, etc.

I just tested this in my rom, by giving myself the Bicycle before getting anything, and it worked fine. I do know that Running Shoes depends on the "show name on entering" byte. From the Running Shoes Inside Buildings post, courtesy of Hackmew:
I'll explain briefly what happens. First of all, the "Show name on entering" byte is loaded into r1 and r0 is set to 0x2. Then r0 is ANDed with r1. Here are the possible results:

Code:
0x2 AND 0x0 = 0x0
0x2 AND 0x1 = 0x0
0x2 AND 0x2 = 0x2
0x2 AND 0x3 = 0x2
0x2 AND 0x4 = 0x0
0x2 AND 0x5 = 0x0
0x2 AND 0x6 = 0x2
0x2 AND 0x7 = 0x2
0x2 AND 0x8 = 0x0
0x2 AND 0x9 = 0x0
0x2 AND 0xA = 0x2
0x2 AND 0xB = 0x2
0x2 AND 0xC = 0x0
0x2 AND 0xD = 0x0
0x2 AND 0xE = 0x2
0x2 AND 0xF = 0x2

As you can see, a specific pattern is repeating itself. Going on with the routine, we can see r0 is compared with 0x0. If equal, no Running Shoes :(
Basically, Running Shoes only works when the values after being ANDed equal 0x2. so, 0x2, 0x3, 0x6, 0x7, 0xA, 0xB, 0xE, and 0xF all work fine.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
I'm reading metapod23's tutorial about adding new OW sprites, but it all seems very confusing at the moment. But I'll try to get it through trial and error.

I've tried the bicycle again a few times, but no matter what I try, I keep the same error. And with the Running Shoes, what are the r0 and r1? I don't understand where they came from.

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2012
In regards to ds games playing slow in an emulator, I use an R4 flash cart to get the best result.
Is there a size limit for GBA games? I want to add Hoenn and Johto to Fire Red, but if there's a limit I might use Heart Gold.
One other thing, is it possible to give pokemon more than one ability, like in the Mystery Dungeon games?

redriders180

Years
I'm reading metapod23's tutorial about adding new OW sprites, but it all seems very confusing at the moment. But I'll try to get it through trial and error.

I've tried the bicycle again a few times, but no matter what I try, I keep the same error. And with the Running Shoes, what are the r0 and r1? I don't understand where they came from.

The r0 and r1 aren't important, what is important is the value of the "Show name on entering" byte. Just set it to one of the values I said earlier, and it should be fine. Of course, the alternative route is to just make Running Shoes work everywhere, which is described in the self-same tutorial. You might want to check it out.

In regards to ds games playing slow in an emulator, I use an R4 flash cart to get the best result.
Is there a size limit for GBA games? I want to add Hoenn and Johto to Fire Red, but if there's a limit I might use Heart Gold.
One other thing, is it possible to give pokemon more than one ability, like in the Mystery Dungeon games?
The Pokemon games are already 16 MB, but can usually be expanded to 32 MB. However, Keep in mind that there are 37 cities, 82 routes, not including the underwater ones, and at least 53 landmarks, bringing the total to 172 names required for your game. Firered itself only has 109 possible names, without expanding. Additionally, you'll need to add 17 fly spots, which is also possible. But, if you want, I believe it could work. Good luck!

And for the abilities, it's possible, but not easy. I doubt anyone has tried it before, but feel free to go ahead!

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
This might sound like a very dumb question, but on the risk of sounding like an idiot: How do I set the value of the 'Show name on entering' byte? Hex editor somewhere?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
This might sound like a very dumb question, but on the risk of sounding like an idiot: How do I set the value of the 'Show name on entering' byte? Hex editor somewhere?

The header section of A-Map?

So I was making an Advanced Map map and I try to make it so I can exit the cave, and I can't! Help?

The best way is to copy the tiles from a pre-existing cave, or at least look at one for reference. You will need to use specific tiles (depending on whether the exit it up or down) as well as a 'warp' event.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Hey, I tried making a script for a guy that will trade his Fire Stone for a Petaya Berry. (I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby)

I applied that script to a Pokeball npc.

But I tested it and this works kinda wrong, before getting Pokedex and starter Pokemon it doesn't work.

After getting starter Pokemon but not Pokedex this works wrong, that takes away my Petaya Berry and gives me Fire Stone, but text isn't showing except the one that says that I obtained Fire Stone.

After getting starter Pokemon and Pokedex this doesn't work again.

I hope you will explain what I did wrong :(

The script:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hey, I tried making a script for a guy that will trade his Fire Stone for a Petaya Berry. (I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby)

But I tested it and this works kinda wrong, before getting Pokedex and starter Pokemon it doesn't work.

After getting starter Pokemon but not Pokedex this works wrong, that takes away my Petaya Berry and gives me Fire Stone, but text isn't showing except the one that says that I obtained Fire Stone.

The script:
Spoiler:

Ideally you should use 'compare 0x800D 0x1' to check the item like:

checkitem 0xAB 0x1
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x4 goto @GIVE
if 0x0 goto @goaway

This checks whether the player has one or more Petaya berry.

Have you edited this script after decompiling it at all? It sounds like your other scripts may be overlapping, as this has no reason not to work (there aren't even any flags).

I recommend recompiling, in the future direct scripting troubles to the script help thread (below this one).

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
Okay, I fixed the running shoes problem. I can run outside now, I don't need to run inside :).
But the Bicycle problem still persists. I have no idea how to fix it, because I have the bicycle in my bag and I really am outside.

redriders180

Years

The script:
Spoiler:

Additionally, using giveitem will provide the obligatory "[player] received a Dusk Stone" message, but removeitem won't use any script of that sort. It does just that, removes an item. If you want it to say something like "[player] traded a PETAYA BERRY for a Dusk Stone", you'll have to use additem, and make a msgbox that specifically says that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back