• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What's Black and White most remembered for?

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
There's a lot in BW that I really like. I can safely say that these are the games that brought me back into Pokémon gaming... something I hadn't really done since Emerald, partially because I didn't have DS. I tried SS and Diamond, but neither managed to fascinate me as much as Black did. Though I'm definitally going to try to finish SS at some point.

Things I liked about Black and White:
-Story. Huge plus! Previous games mostly revolved around you getting badges, meeting an evil team, fighting them,winning, and beating the E4. BW, had a story that went further, and even gave the game a wonderful climax and ending.
-Characters. N's not the only one who's highly ranking in my favourite character's list (not Pokémon-exclusive), White/Touko is another one. I shouldn't forget Cheren, Bianca, Juniper... and others. I didn't have that many favourite Pokémon characters in the past, but now there are quite some.
-Music: Ending theme, Route 10, Relic Castle, Team Plasma Battle, Emotional Piece, N's Farewell... Previous generations had remember-worthy songs (think of Route 1 (Kanto), Goldenrod City...), but Black/White's music is something else. Specially the "Final Pokémon in Gymbattle" song was a very nice flashback to the first generation.

-Graphics/Unova: Lovely region, though I don't like Chargestone Cave, Twist Mountain and Route 4. |D (I do like Chargestone Cave's idea, just don't like traversing it.)
-Pokémon: I'm someone who adores the 5th generation, it definitally has some of my favourites.
-Other: The pose when the MC finds an item (felt very Zelda-ish), Seasons and seasonal changes, evening and morning, being able to add to the music by talking to some NPC, perpetual TMs, shaking grass, etc

The whole animated sprites thing didn't feel that unique to me, seeing how they moved before in Crystal and Emerald. Having them animated throughout the entire battle was rather fun, though. :'D

Years
I'd have to say Black and White are most remembered for a lot of things! They were the first games to bring us fully animated sprites, which really added to the effect of being in the game. Also, they added a plethora of awesome and unforgettable pokemon, some notable ones being Garbodor, Ddruddigon, Golurk, Hydreigon, Ferrothorn... the list goes on and on. They also will be remembered for giving a kick to the series, I think the whole "new beginning" idea really worked in favor of the franchise overall. Bw will also be remembered for the awesome plot it had, which was really refreshing compared to the simpler plots of the other games. People definitely won't be forgetting about N anytime soon either. And of course, people will remember the awesome graphics, especially of Skyarrow bridge. :D

Sirfetch’d

Black and white have so many things about them that make them memorable. To me the "new adventure" theme is the most memorable. I really liked how there were no old pokemon to start with and it was like a whole new adventure. Some other things that I remember about Black and White are the Animated sprites, N, and one of the most important features, Dream World. Also the games will likely be remembered for all the hate they got from all of the fans who are Nostalgic and refuse to accept and appreciate all the new Pokemon.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
My reasons are as listed:
1) The Characters personalities like Cheren's and Bianca's
2) The Graphics, may not be much but they were greatly improved
3) Some new pokemon that were introduced, like Embroar and Emolga and Golurk and Jellicent
4) The MoveSets of pokemon; I loved that they broadened it and expanded it, made it a bit more easy when teaching pokemon new moves, especially ones that they couldn't learn in previous games.
5) The Battle Subway; added something to enjoy.
6) The Gym Leaders like Elesa, Skyla, Iris, Cilan; made an impression and reserved the sanctity of the purpose of having Gym leaders. (Probably doesn't make sense I know)
7) Elesa
8) Elesa
9) Elesa
10) The cities.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
I enjoyed the animated sprites
And having to use only unova pokemon at first made the game more challenging
I just wished chargestone cave had more electric types and a thunderstone and wild pikachus in which I would use that thunderstone and I could have my raichu

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
All these things, I remember to. But one thing I also noticed thats not as big and not as important to most people (judging from the general lack of mentioning it in this thread) is the aesthetic of the ui. I felt that the digitized look made it feel even newer and more different than previous games, on top of the new Pokemon etc. made me feel even more detached from the kanto johto and hoenn I am so comfy and familiar with.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Okay, I didn't exactly remember it for the "modernisation", but because of the GUI and the semi-3D effect. Also, the story was fantastic too. I loved the fact that for once, we get a Pokémon in the normal way someone would expect to get. No protecting-from-Starly or Saving-Birch or Pokémon-Getting-Stolen or Getting-Saved-By-Oak-And-Get-A-Pokémon or whatever.

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2013
The music in B/W was epic. I loved the Gym Leader Battle Music, and I loved the plot. It was much more interesting. I wish the others had some better Story Lines/Supporting Characters.

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Walking into the carnival area, being led to the ferris wheel and watching as N recites one of the most compelling narratives in a video game as the ride takes place. He reveals his thoughts, his motives, and most of all the fact that he is working with Team Plasma, but isn't even the true definition of a villain as the Sages were. This is one time I feel that even playing through it a second time the story has me grabbed and emotionally involved to the point where I don't want it to end at all, I want it to be an on going story.

This game will be cemented in my mind as one of the best pieces of writing from a creative team working on this type of game.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Black and White era introduced many unforgettable features, such as unlimited TMs, full body and animated sprites, and Global Link / Dream World abilities. I would most appreciate the devs if they include said features in future generations too. Oh, and we should always be given a Lucky Egg in-game! <3

I myself will always remember BW for providing the sheer joy of me finding a shiny Cottonee, my favorite Unova Pokemon, a few hours after midnight launch.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
At least for me, it's most known for the radically different region that boasts incredibly immense cities such as Castelia and Nimbasa.

Years
Medals system + TMs being used for an infinite amount of time + More amazing pokes (and as usual, ridiculous ones too...) + The trio Gym Leaders (Grass, Fire & Water) + The storyline.

Back