• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you read fanfics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Take that high school creative writing - I learnt all that stuff from pokemon forums! :V (No, I'm not kidding there either).
My high school didn't even have creative writing. I learned everything on pokemon forums too! XD

I also think that writers should read other people's works. They should help other writers get better, while writers help them write well too. I would do that, even if I decided to write fanfiction.
I can't agree more. Unfortunately, there isn't always time to review other people's work. I'm starting to manage my time better, so I'm getting more into reviewing than I have been the past couple months.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
You know, I used to review fairly often. I think the reason I eventually stopped was because I started reviewing every fic I read in my head. It made reading for fun practically impossible because I always had that nagging little voice going "they're there their" and "that should be a comma, not a period." In that same vein, I was seeking out writers to help and not dedicating much time to drinking in fics that were inspiring to me as a writer. In other words: reading and writing weren't fun anymore. I just got too critical.

I'm working hard to lighten up again this year by participating in NaNoWriMo and just writing whatever my heart desires without worrying about mistakes. I'd also like to dive into some truly excellent fanfiction, but I've been out of the loop for a while so I'll have to dig around some. I think if I can manage to make this whole thing really enjoyable again, the desire to review will naturally follow. There's got to be a balance though.

One last thing I'd like to mention is that if you want reviews, you should find a writing buddy if at all possible. Find someone else who is also writing a story (preferably one you like) that you can trade with and point out errors and problem areas. I've had a friend since the early days of joining this fandom who was writing a chaptered Latias fic just like me, and it was wonderful to simply lose myself in someone else's take on my favorite pokémon when I was burned out on my own writing. And, it was inspirational to boot!

Years
I used to read them (Not Pokemon or Anime based, but celebrity.)
I stopped because poorly written ones were getting more and more common all over the site where I used to read them at. (I think the site is still running, I haven't been there in over a year.)
People would advertise their graphic request sites (sites where authors go to request posters for their fanfics) and stories in the comments section - even when the fanfic already had a poster, people would still advertise - It got annoying pretty quickly.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I used to, but even then it was mostly AdvanceShipping fics.

I got bored and annoyed with FF.net after seeing the countless flame wars that went on in the stories' comments sections. Pretty childish.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
What I want to know is, do you read fanfics? If all the fanfics in the world would interest me then I would read it all the time no matter what. Yes I do read Fanfics.
Do you read a lot of them or just a select few? Depends on what the fic is about, but usually it is very selected.
What brought you to read a story? I guess for the most part because I was looking for some inspiration. \
Do you think a writer of fanfics should read others' works? If they want too, but I think that would be a good idea, it might give the author an idea or help them write a new story, personally I would read others works more than I would care to write my own.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Alright, as long as you know what you did. Just check the dates from now on. All because it's on the first page, doesn't mean it's okay to post in. Just keep that month old rule in mind. Anyway...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back