• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Brainstorming & Discussion Thread

bobandbill

one more time
Years
GUYS

Remeber what I said about imageshack forcing that image limit thus meaning people need to reupload all the images and either start a new thread and/or replace all the urls manually for their LP images if they were with imageshack?

I've made up a program for myself that'll likely be able to replace them with new image urls if one reuploads the pictures and they have a consistent url throughout (e.g. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/lennyshanks/image01.jpg,
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/lennyshanks/image02.jpg - same url bar the 'image__' part of it.

So if anyone is in the same pickle I was with that and their imageshack images have a consistent naming scheme followed by a number ignoring the imageshack part of the url for images (in other words, I had for instance:
[*IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8918/pokemondiamond41.png[/IMG]
[*IMG]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/4097/pokemondiamond42.png[/IMG]
)
then I can adjust my program so you can replace image urls in a post if you save it to a .txt file automatically after a few extra small steps. Just throwing that out as it might be useful for more than myself.

Years
EDIT:
OH CRAP, Why didn't I think of this sooner? Remind the users to find a nice but catchy way to advertise their LPs in their signatures!
This worked out well for me when I was doing LPs. I made a nice banner linking to the thread in my signature so that way when I posted elsewhere in the forum other people would see it.
Usually people will just make a text link but that tends not to catch peoples attention as much as a banner.
Maybe someone (Me?) could make a variety of different generic signature banners that LPers could use to advertise their thread(s).

That's a great idea. I, for one would certainly love a proper signature showcasing my LP topic (replacing my 5 year old broly stuff, of course).

Someone mentioned that one of the problems is that this is a sub-forum. Is there no way to request a change so that we're no longer a sub-forum? Or is this nigh impossible?

I would also love to take part in events and whatnot if any were held.

Years
@bobandbill - Nice one mate! You also reminded me I missed out a section in the guide I did. Updated it with sites to use and included your quote! :)

@Krobelus - Currently, the board isn't active enough to be its own stand alone board, but I don't think it would be allowed anyway, because it has always been a child of the VG board; it might be something for the future, but now I think it would be turned down.
As regards to events, I am all over it. Got some in the pipeline that I am going to be rolling out soon.

Before I start the events, I want to change and fix problems in the board that I feel exist and change/add anything that I feel needs adding. Then, we can get the party started! :D​

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Personally, the thing I have the most trouble with when it comes to Let's Plays is that I hate making multiple short videos, rather than a few longer videos. Typically my series are around 1-10 parts of 40 minutes to two hours. I partially do things this way because I don't want to come across as a view hog, as well as memory constraints - a 100 part LP of a Pokemon game seems pretty steep to me, because even a 15 minute video before compression is around 100-300 megabytes, which really adds up.

EDIT:
Start group LPs, such as people playing on a Minecraft Server or playing an online game together. It's better when there's more people commentating!

I actually wanted to do a group LP of RuneScape or something, but I don't know where to gather players. That's kind of a problem if you're not part of a "group" (such as the Creatures on YouTube)

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Personally, the thing I have the most trouble with when it comes to Let's Plays is that I hate making multiple short videos, rather than a few longer videos. Typically my series are around 1-10 parts of 40 minutes to two hours. I partially do things this way because I don't want to come across as a view hog, as well as memory constraints - a 100 part LP of a Pokemon game seems pretty steep to me, because even a 15 minute video before compression is around 100-300 megabytes, which really adds up.

EDIT:

I actually wanted to do a group LP of RuneScape or something, but I don't know where to gather players. That's kind of a problem if you're not part of a "group" (such as the Creatures on YouTube)

Usually what I do is record/play for however long I feel like it, save the footage, and split it up into separate videos later.
I never thought of coming off as a view hog, rather I try to keep my videos between 15-20 minutes because it's not too long. This might be an interesting poll to have to see whether or not people like to see more in one LP video, or less.

And I feel your pain on group LPing. I don't have very many gamer friends other than my cousin, but he's more of a speed runner than an LPer, and he doesn't care to commentate. It's a shame, but it definitely is more fun when there's more people commentating.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Well, my logic is that people can pause it and write down the time if they get bored or something, heh.

And I keep trying to get a friend of mine to do a Minecraft map with me, but she never has time. -le sigh-

ChainedTeapot

Let's Player
Years
I normally make my videos 15-25 min as that is at least a length I personally would watch. Obviously everyone will have their own preferences of perhaps less or more time. But at least from my experience I normally get put off watching a long video or if I do I end up watching to a point and don't bother with the rest. You could take note of where you last viewed the video or if it's split into parts you can note of which part you last watched, which I think is easier. Plus it can sometimes add more tension if you end a video at a certain point for the viewer not knowing what to expect next rather than continuing on, then again not waiting for the next part is good too. It's all personal preference I guess and there isn't a best way to suit everyone.

Also:

Captain Fabio in the guide to glory said:
II – What is an LP?

Captain Fabio in the guide to glory said:

Why would you do that? ;-; Even though I'm sure my post is riddled with silly mistakes too, a pretty nice guide though (:

Wasteland

I'm nobody
Years
I actually think you should try to make some reviewing challenges and things like that, although I'm sure you're on it just want to give my two cents on this
Because, quite frankly seven out of ten threads in this forums are LPs (not that hard to understand though)

Last edited:
Years
Currently trying to decide a to what to play.

Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Dragon Warrior Monsters

OR THERE COULD BE A POSSIBILITY OF:

Chrono Trigger.​

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Do Chrono trigger, that games amazing,

Might do some blind play through of games I have left to complete.

Will get a list later and let you al decide which one I do.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
I agree, Chrono Trigger is the way to go!

I got frustrated making my LP recently. :P
Every game I wanted to play wouldn't run well on the emulators. I made a really good .hack one, but the game just runs so slow sometimes it might be annoying.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I would love to play the .Hack games. Makes me jealous.

Going to do CT on ds version or the original one?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'm totally going to make my own guide on how to LP so you become moderately* famous in a sub-section of a sub-section of a fandom.

Awww yeah.

*marginally

Cello

Tonight!
Years
I'm thinking about a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night video LP. Would anybody be down for watching that? :Y
I use Alucard's speed run back slide technique so it might get annoying to some viewers. Idk.

That's like the fifth post I've used "down for" in.

Back