• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
So... it looks like the English dub may be going on hiatus soon. There's not an English episode title for the episode after 'When Regions Collide.'

Although... that makes sense because that episode is the first episode of what I believe is the 'Ultra Sun/Moon' arc or whatever you want to call it.

So it looks like the English dub may be going on hiatus again soon. Let's just hope that this hiatus isn't as long as the last one is. Or maybe it's better if it is?

Who knows either way.

Hey, as long as it means Pokémon TV won't screw up by moving Alola, Kanto and When Regions Collide to being unwatchable, I won't mind if there IS a hiatus, especially considering they didn't bother to even show the episodes when they aired on Pokémon TV.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
So... it looks like the English dub may be going on hiatus soon. There's not an English episode title for the episode after 'When Regions Collide.'

Although... that makes sense because that episode is the first episode of what I believe is the 'Ultra Sun/Moon' arc or whatever you want to call it.

So it looks like the English dub may be going on hiatus again soon. Let's just hope that this hiatus isn't as long as the last one is. Or maybe it's better if it is?

Who knows either way.
Well it is normal that the English Dub briefly do not release new episodes for a moment.

Same happened between XY049 - XY050 (start of XY: Kalos Quest), and the jump from XY093 - XY094 (when the Zygarde arc began!), so I expect the same thing to happen right now.

So yeah, start of new arc and probably a new title on the way as well.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The English dub always goes on hiatus sometime in December or January. It then continues back up in late winter/early spring. It's nothing new.

And the ratings don't mean anything since as long as the games continue to sell (which they are) there will always be a Pokemon anime regardless of ratings numbers. People will always watch it anyways as it's pretty much impossible for no one to watch it at all .

Based on some reviews for USUM on Amazon Japan as well as some rather disappointing sales numbers within the first three days of that game's release, if the ratings numbers don't kill the show, the disappointing sales of USUM sure will. And besides, I know of a few Japanese shows that DID in fact get cancelled due to very low ratings. I even cited a couple a while back, one of which was Bleach (it certainly wasn't due to loss of merchandising sales, since that remained popular enough to have a movie being made right now on it in SPITE of the anime's cancellation).

But yeah, it's pretty much the same for pretty much all of the shows here in America anyways, they take a break during the Christmas season, then they release new episodes within January/February. This is nothing new for even Western media, let alone the English dub.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
USUM is selling quite well and it will not be the reason for the show being cancelled. Neither is getting cancelled because they are both popular in todays society.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Really? I was under the impression that USUM was doing pretty well. 944,074 copies sold, plus 278,952 with the double pack... that should be around 1.2 M sold since Nov 17 that isn't pretty bad.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-game-rankings-november-27-december-3/.124918

Well, according to this, the game got very bad reviews:

https://nintendosoup.com/ultra-sun-ultra-moon-worst-reviewed-pokemon-games-japan/

Also, 1.2 million in the first three days is a terrible sales record, especially compared to Sun and Moon, which in the same period got 1.9 million, or XY, which sold 4 million in its first weekend, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which got 3,040,000 sold in the first three days (1.5 million of which was from Japanese sales). In fact, from what I heard, it did so poorly that only Pokémon Crystal's sales compared to it. If I were a suit, I'd consider that a complete failure, a flop.

USUM is selling quite well and it will not be the reason for the show being cancelled. Neither is getting cancelled because they are both popular in todays society.

No, if it were truly popular in today's society, it would be getting ratings comparable to that of the NCIS series, Blue Bloods, and the like.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
It still didn't outperform or even break even with Sun and Moon in the first three days, let alone XY, ORAS, or, heck, even any game barring possibly Crystal.

Besides, that link is for Sun and Moon. Next time you want to prove me wrong, try using Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's sales figures.

Yep it was... You did, say that SM only sold 1.9 (It was actually 2.4). I didn't preface the number sorry for the miss understanding LOL :D

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
No, if it were truly popular in today's society, it would be getting ratings comparable to that of the NCIS series, Blue Bloods, and the like.
It is popular. GF is still making money and so is the writers. That itself is proof that Pokemon is still popular. And NCIS and Blue Bloods is a joke in my opinion.

Pokemon is gonna be around for a long time. That is the truth.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
It is popular. GF is still making money and so is the writers. That itself is proof that Pokemon is still popular. And NCIS and Blue Bloods is a joke in my opinion.

Pokemon is gonna be around for a long time. That is the truth.

Technically, Rise of the Guardians got... what, $103,412,758 in the box office, not to mention more than double its $145 million budget? Yet Jeffrey Katzenberg STILL decried it as a box office bomb. Making a cent also means it made money. Doesn't mean that it was a success. And if I were an executive, if Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon failed to top Sun and Moon in sales, I'd denounce it as a failure, period, REGARDLESS of whether it made any money.

And as far as NCIS and Blue Bloods, you may not like those shows, but what cannot be denied is that they got very high ratings, about 13 million viewers on average just with Season 15, and they've remained stable since Season 1, and even Blue Bloods, while not quite to NCIS's levels by Season 8, nonetheles is within the 10 million viewers mark. And bear in mind, both seasons are well within the age of internet viewership, so the fact that they get such high ratings shows just HOW popular those shows are. Contrast that with Pokemon's ratings, and how they at BEST get 3 million viewers, far below Kanto's viewers or even AG or DP's viewerships, heck, even XY's. In fact, if I were a suit, and I saw Pokemon getting those low ratings, I'd pull the plug, and they'd pray I'd even be willing to wait until the actual arc is over. And believe me, I've seen PLENTY of shows get cancelled due to very bad ratings, some even being in Japan as I've pointed out (Bleach is a particularly notable example of a Japanese show that actually got cancelled, quite prematurely I might add, specifically due to very bad ratings), and I've seen shows get cancelled for bad ratings that were even higher than Pokémon's current ratings (ie, Heroes, probably also West Wing).

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Technically, Rise of the Guardians got... what, $103,412,758 in the box office, not to mention more than double its $145 million budget? Yet Jeffrey Katzenberg STILL decried it as a box office bomb. Making a cent also means it made money. Doesn't mean that it was a success. And if I were an executive, if Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon failed to top Sun and Moon in sales, I'd denounce it as a failure, period, REGARDLESS of whether it made any money.

And as far as NCIS and Blue Bloods, you may not like those shows, but what cannot be denied is that they got very high ratings, about 13 million viewers on average just with Season 15, and they've remained stable since Season 1, and even Blue Bloods, while not quite to NCIS's levels by Season 8, nonetheles is within the 10 million viewers mark. And bear in mind, both seasons are well within the age of internet viewership, so the fact that they get such high ratings shows just HOW popular those shows are. Contrast that with Pokemon's ratings, and how they at BEST get 3 million viewers, far below Kanto's viewers or even AG or DP's viewerships, heck, even XY's. In fact, if I were a suit, and I saw Pokemon getting those low ratings, I'd pull the plug, and they'd pray I'd even be willing to wait until the actual arc is over. And believe me, I've seen PLENTY of shows get cancelled due to very bad ratings, some even being in Japan as I've pointed out (Bleach is a particularly notable example of a Japanese show that actually got cancelled, quite prematurely I might add, specifically due to very bad ratings), and I've seen shows get cancelled for bad ratings that were even higher than Pokémon's current ratings (ie, Heroes, probably also West Wing).
Pokemon ratings are not as bad as you make it out to be. They are strong enough for both anime games to keep going.

Also third versions tend to do less better than the original pair but they are not a failure. USUM is a success no matter what.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Pokemon ratings are not as bad as you make it out to be. They are strong enough for both anime games to keep going.

Also third versions tend to do less better than the original pair but they are not a failure. USUM is a success no matter what.

"Not as bad"? 3 million viewers, heck, barely above 1 million viewers is actually considered very bad ratings, period, bad enough that they generally end up on the chopping block. Just ask my uncle and aunt who work in the advertising industry/taught advertising at UNC, they'll tell you.

And as far as third versions, Pokémon Yellow and even Black 2 and White 2 did very well, while this didn't. Those two only lost 53.5% and 45.5% of BW and RGB's revenue, respectively. Crystal also did terribly, for the record, losing more than 72.3% of GS's sales. Also, UltraSun and UltraMoon is NOT a "third version", they're direct sequels. We haven't gotten third versions since Platinum back in Gen IV. Based on the amount of funds it got via its third day, it did significantly less well than Sun and Moon. And for the record, it got a lot of scathing negative reviews as well on Amazon Japan.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
"Not as bad"? 3 million viewers, heck, barely above 1 million viewers is actually considered very bad ratings, period, bad enough that they generally end up on the chopping block. Just ask my uncle and aunt who work in the advertising industry/taught advertising at UNC, they'll tell you.

And as far as third versions, Pokémon Yellow and even Black 2 and White 2 did very well, while this didn't. Those two only lost 53.5% and 45.5% of BW and RGB's revenue, respectively. Crystal also did terribly, for the record, losing more than 72.3% of GS's sales. Also, UltraSun and UltraMoon is NOT a "third version", they're direct sequels. We haven't gotten third versions since Platinum back in Gen IV. Based on the amount of funds it got via its third day, it did significantly less well than Sun and Moon. And for the record, it got a lot of scathing negative reviews as well on Amazon Japan.
Incorrect. USUM are not sequels. They are an alternate story which is close to being a third version. All the third versions did good and B2W2 did fine.

3 million viewers is NOT bad. 500 viewers is considered bad. Pokemon is still strong. That can't be denied.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Incorrect. USUM are not sequels. They are an alternate story which is close to being a third version. All the third versions did good and B2W2 did fine.

3 million viewers is NOT bad. 500 viewers is considered bad. Pokemon is still strong. That can't be denied.

They're not third versions (bear in mind, the titles are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, not something like "Pokémon Eclipse"), though, which still proves my case.

And BTW, going by most TV companies, 3 million viewers IS bad, while 500 is simply WORSE. I've seen shows get cancelled due to bad ratings that were even higher than that, like Heroes, or GCB, or West Wing, or all those shows. Heck, Supergirl only got moved to the CW because by the end of the season, its ratings fell hard and low enough that CBS couldn't afford to keep it on the air on that channel, and then it continued to get lower after they started pushing politics that quite frankly most viewers didn't want pushed on them nor were they even remotely family friendly in the first place. Good ratings require double digits. Heck, just look at Bleach's cancellation, and that was popular regarding sales, meaning it got cancelled due to bad ratings. If those shows had bad ratings to such an extent that the writers cancelled them because of it, Pokémon is on the chopping block as well. I know if I were an executive, I'd pull the plug after seeing those abysmal ratings.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
They're not third versions (bear in mind, the titles are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, not something like "Pokémon Eclipse"), though, which still proves my case.

And BTW, going by most TV companies, 3 million viewers IS bad, while 500 is simply WORSE. I've seen shows get cancelled due to bad ratings that were even higher than that, like Heroes, or GCB, or West Wing, or all those shows. Heck, Supergirl only got moved to the CW because by the end of the season, its ratings fell hard and low enough that CBS couldn't afford to keep it on the air on that channel, and then it continued to get lower after they started pushing politics that quite frankly most viewers didn't want pushed on them nor were they even remotely family friendly in the first place. Good ratings require double digits. Heck, just look at Bleach's cancellation, and that was popular regarding sales, meaning it got cancelled due to bad ratings. If those shows had bad ratings to such an extent that the writers cancelled them because of it, Pokémon is on the chopping block as well. I know if I were an executive, I'd pull the plug after seeing those abysmal ratings.
I think USUM are third versions. They have a similar story with some changes added to it so it can focus on Necrozma. It is not a sequel since the events do not take place a year or two after SM and we are using the same main characters who have a design change

3 million viewers is not bad. It is a strong amount. Good ratings don't require double digits as long as the show is still popular.

Pokemon is still popular regardless of what some say. It is not getting cancelled. Not now and not later.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I think USUM are third versions. They have a similar story with some changes added to it so it can focus on Necrozma. It is not a sequel since the events do not take place a year or two after SM and we are using the same main characters who have a design change

3 million viewers is not bad. It is a strong amount. Good ratings don't require double digits as long as the show is still popular.

Pokemon is still popular regardless of what some say. It is not getting cancelled. Not now and not later.

We should call them extensions or expansion packs, then, because they definitely aren't "third versions".

As far as 3 million viewers, I can name to you plenty of shows that got cancelled, with the official reason being bad ratings, that had even higher viewers than Pokémon, like Heroes on NBC, for example. And then there's Bleach, whose popularity arguably rivaled Pokémon, where its anime got cancelled due to, you guessed it, bad ratings.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
We should call them extensions or expansion packs, then, because they definitely aren't "third versions".

As far as 3 million viewers, I can name to you plenty of shows that got cancelled, with the official reason being bad ratings, that had even higher viewers than Pokémon, like Heroes on NBC, for example. And then there's Bleach, whose popularity arguably rivaled Pokémon, where its anime got cancelled due to, you guessed it, bad ratings.
Not all shows get cancelled so can't assume pokemon would as well. People still love it and that is why it keeps going.

And USUM are third versions. They have everything that requires a third version to have.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Not all shows get cancelled so can't assume pokemon would as well. People still love it and that is why it keeps going.

And USUM are third versions. They have everything that requires a third version to have.

A third version requires, obviously, only one extra version, NOT two. So no, not a third version. At most, you can call it an expansion pack.

And yes, actually, the examples I cited were due to very poor ratings, regardless of whether people actually liked the show. Heck, Last Man Standing got cancelled despite it being very popular among audiences (there was an uproar over the whole cancellation). And don't forget, Bleach was popular enough that they're actually making a movie about it right now, yet that never stopped the anime from being cancelled precisely BECAUSE of very bad ratings. If those examples can get cancelled despite popularity due to bad ratings, Pokémon most certainly can as well. Heck, Super Mario World got cancelled as well, and that was DESPITE the Mario games being VERY popular, including Super Mario World when it first came out.

Last edited:
Back