• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
Well, I don't know. Most people I know have never heard of the term "bi-romantic" so if it applied to me, I'd probably not use it as it would stir up more confusion than it'd help to express myself. But that's just me. Just because a term is not so well-known, it doesn't mean, it can't be used. So, if it helps you, then it's totally fine :3

Years
Sounds like there needs to be a big push to educate the people about all these terms we've got. I can just see it: billboards and youtube ads all over the place.

That might scare a lot of people away though.

Years
Sounds like there needs to be a big push to educate the people about all these terms we've got. I can just see it: billboards and youtube ads all over the place.

That might scare a lot of people away though.

I feel you. I think people don't bother because it's too much work to go through so much information that frankly isn't useful on an individual level, really.

Years
Maybe intolerance isn't the best word to describe it, more like apathy :\ The absence of interest doesn't necessarily mean hostility.

Years
No, I mean intolerance. I don't care about apathy (haha) but people who are intolerant just make any environment a little toxic to even bring up topics like this. With apathetic people you can be "Hey, I'm actually bi-romantic, etc. etc." and they'll be like "Okay."

Melody

Banned
Years
I can understand and respect a polite level of expressed apathy. Though I will admit that it is deflating at first when you find someone who really doesn't really care or mind who it is you love. Once you realize it's not a bad thing, it's pretty easy to accept actually. It's sad that so many people choose to remain ignorant though.

Years
This is a question for all transgender people.

How did you find out that you were transgender? You see, I feel that the whole issue of transgender is very difficult to understand for people who are not concerned. I just can't imagine what it's like. When you're a guy and not satisfied with it and just want to be a girl... is that what it is? I suppose as a guy, you could be girlish, even though it's not what society expects from a guy. There's more than sterotypes. But I guess, with transgender people, it's more than just not fitting in with these sterotypes. Do you feel that you were born in the wrong body? Have you always known that you're "different"?

I'm looking forward to your replies :3

Years
I'm straight and cisgendered and I don't always fit in the stereotypes so that answers one of the questions. Maybe it doesn't have to do so much with stereotypes like you've said? Not so sure myself, good discussion point though! Let's show and tell XD

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
I feel like I am indeed a girl, but nature gave me the wrong chromosome. I wound up finding it out when I felt like I had no sense of fitting in, and asked myself, "who am I?" I figured out what transgenderism was, and I was appalled by how it described how I felt so well (I was twelve.) I went with living like a boy until I was about 18 and a half, then it got to the point where I was unable to take it for much longer. I don't have the answer on exactly how I knew, in part due to that period of time is one I try so hard to forget.

For me it's not as much about stereotypes as much as it is as much as others perceive me. I just wish to be recognised as the person I see myself as: a woman. Even to myself, considering I'll look at a mirror and be unhappy with what I am seeing. I'm hoping to change that though since I'm just about to begin hormone therapy (which in itself makes me happy.)

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I feel like I am indeed a girl, but nature gave me the wrong chromosome. I wound up finding it out when I felt like I had no sense of fitting in, and asked myself, "who am I?" I figured out what transgenderism was, and I was appalled by how it described how I felt so well (I was twelve.) I went with living like a boy until I was about 18 and a half, then it got to the point where I was unable to take it for much longer. I don't have the answer on exactly how I knew, in part due to that period of time is one I try so hard to forget.

For me it's not as much about stereotypes as much as it is as much as others perceive me. I just wish to be recognised as the person I see myself as: a woman. Even to myself, considering I'll look at a mirror and be unhappy with what I am seeing. I'm hoping to change that though since I'm just about to begin hormone therapy (which in itself makes me happy.)

Best wishes to you on your journey to become the real you. The important thing here, I think, is that you be happy with yourself. I would suggest not concentrating on the acceptance of others. The only true opinion that matters is your own. What others think of you should only be given as much weight as what you decide to eat for dinner tonight.

We all want recognition and acceptance, of course, but it can't be forced on others. Only when you are truly happy with yourself will others recognize and accept you. Take your time, enjoy the journey, and like I said, I offer my best wishes to you and my congratulations for having the courage to be true to yourself. I wish others could be more like you.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
So sometimes when the conversation lags here for a while, I just Google "gay" and see what happens. There's always something gay on Google News.

Today I accidentally clicked Pictures instead of News and pretty much every picture is of men in public in their underwear. How do we feel about this being the dominant image?

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
So sometimes when the conversation lags here for a while, I just Google "gay" and see what happens. There's always something gay on Google News.

Today I accidentally clicked Pictures instead of News and pretty much every picture is of men in public in their underwear. How do we feel about this being the dominant image?

It actually is not surprising at all, considering homosexual males are commonly referred to as being gay, while homosexual females are more commonly referred to as lesbians. Had you entered the latter into the search engine, instead of mostly nude men, you'd be seeing pictures of women. And although both men and women can be referred to as being gay, it's easier for some to use a distinctive label instead of one all-encompassing label. As for the images you saw, really, I don't mind in the least. ;)

Years

Yeah. I think this a huuuge problem. It's one of the things that make homophobic and/or conservative people uneasy about considering their views. It's not going to make homosexual people be perceived as the mainstream, everyday kind of people they are, it's only promoting a fringe and sexualized culture and perception.

Years
Squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's the pride parades and attention-grabbing stuff like that which gets the most attention from the mainstream. It's probably not as bad as it seems. If you do the same thing for "lesbian" you get mostly stuff that is borderline inappropriate for a website like this: half-naked women kissing and grinding and that sort of stuff. Very clearly there for straight men.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I don't think it's too late to join, so may I? I'm bi, and I don't care what sexual orientation anyone is--I support them all.

To be honest, I've known only recently that I was bi... and recently I feel like I lean more towards women, but yeah, it's what makes me happy in a relationship, right?

Melody

Banned
Years
I don't think it's too late to join, so may I? I'm bi, and I don't care what sexual orientation anyone is--I support them all.

To be honest, I've known only recently that I was bi... and recently I feel like I lean more towards women, but yeah, it's what makes me happy in a relationship, right?

Indeed it is the only thing that matters. What you like. Who you are attracted to. The person just for you can only be decided by you. Man, woman, somewhere in between; it matters not.

We welcome you with open arms~ :D

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
lmfao oh my god

It's not surprising.

Then again, some of my gay friends have tumblr blogs, and that's what they blog all day - hot guys in their underwear in stupid poses. Because that's what they like. xD; So maybe the biggest search on the internet in relation to the term "gay" is that sort of thing? I've actually never looked.

Kinda like how searching lesbians probably gives you flawless females models all up in each other's grills lookin' sorta tacky.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I thought this was so awesome I just had to post this here. It's an Op-Ed in the form of an open letter from Sarah Trumble, a policy counsel at Third Way, a moderate think tank in Washington, D.C.:

Dear Speaker Boehner,

I know you're having a really rough fall, and you may be sitting in your office right now, wistfully wishing the holiday recess would arrive. But the Senate has just passed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, a bill that would protect LGBT Americans from being fired because of who they are. And you can bring ENDA up for a vote without facing shutdown-style fallout — instead just skipping straight to the standing ovation. Here's why:

You may be an old-school politician at heart, but public opinion is shifting on LGBT issues faster than you think. Sixty-eight percent of Americans — including 56 percent of Republicans — support a federal law protecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans from being discriminated against at work. Voter modeling shows majority support for ENDA in every single state. Americans are more likely to support the reelection of a member of Congress who voted for an LGBT workplace non-discrimination bill than not. And before you start talking about primary voters, you should know 59 percent of white evangelical Protestants support workplace protections for gay and lesbian people. Honestly, 80 percent of the country already thinks ENDA is law, so they shouldn't even notice.

But it's not just the public that's coming around — so is your caucus. The tenor of the ENDA debate in the Senate last week was shocking — for just how boring it was. You were in Congress in 1996 when the House debated the Defense of Marriage Act. Do you remember Republican representative Bob Barr of Georgia warning, "The very foundations of our society are in danger of being burned," or Republican representative David Funderburk of North Carolina saying that "homosexuality has been discouraged in all cultures because it is inherently wrong and harmful to individuals, families, and societies"? Contrast that to this past week — when nary a Republican seemed to want to speak in opposition to the bill, the ranking Republican member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee ceded his opening statement at the committee vote to a Republican cosponsor of ENDA rather than using that time to oppose the bill, and amendments proposed on the floor mostly tried to change the subject, from right-to-work to sex-selective abortion bans.

Where are the hellfires, you ask? Two Senate Republicans were ENDA cosponsors. Three voted the bill out of the HELP Committee. Seven voted for cloture. Ten voted for the bill on final passage. And for the record, the last time the House voted on ENDA in 2007, it passed with 235 votes — including 35 Republicans.

The bill is politically a safe bet because it's actually rooted in conservative values. Conservatives hold sacred meritocracy, and that value lies at the core of ENDA. Everyone should be hired or fired based on the quality of the work they do, and nothing else. This bill is about qualifications, not quotas, which is why the business community is already ahead of Congress on this. Eighty-eight percent of Fortune 500 companies have implemented policies prohibiting discrimination against gay and lesbian employees, and 57 percent include transgender employees.

You won't need to worry about ENDA's impact on small businesses, either — they're totally exempt. Also exempted are all religious organizations — like churches, schools, hospitals, social services agencies, religious publishers, and anyone else whose "purpose and character are primarily religious" under the strong and tested definition from Title VII. That's why you, along with Eric Cantor and 175 other Republicans, already voted for this exact religious exemption in 2007 — an exemption that was endorsed when it was drafted by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, and the General Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists. The bill does not force employers or employees who have religious objections to homosexuality to change their views or beliefs. It merely requires that people put their disagreements aside during business hours and exhibit professionalism to their colleagues in the workplace. That's business as usual — and who loves business more than Republicans?

Speaker Boehner, this is your chance to prove you want to move forward legislation that furthers your party's values and to show young voters and others who have been turned off by previous Republican antigay maneuvers that you're not stuck in the past. Bring ENDA up for a vote. If your party really has a problem with the bill, let them voice it — and then let the House take a vote.

Source: http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2013/11/11/op-ed-dear-john-boehner

Back