• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years
What sprites should I do today? Maybe Yanma.

193.png
Gold: I like the pose. 7/10

193.png
Silver: The pose is OK. 5/10

193.gif
Crystal: It's the Gold sprite reversed and animated. 6/10

193.png
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen: Not really the best. 2/10

193.png
Diamond/Pearl: Good coloring and expression. 8/10

193.png
Platinum: Not bad. 8/10

193.png
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Best of the bunch. 10/10

193.gif
Black/White: It's the HGSS sprite, only animated. 10/10

Last edited:
Years
I'm going to do Piloswine cos I have a reference to it (the number of my apartment is Piloswine's National Pokedex number: 221).

221.png
Gold: Piloswine's worst sprite, yuck. 1/10

221.png
Silver: OK, but still not a good pose. 4/10

221.gif
Crystal: Still a little better than Gold or Silver. 5/10

221.png
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen: Nice improvement although the color is a little off. 6/10

221.png
Diamond/Pearl: Same coloring as R/S/E, but better pose. 6/10

221.png
Platinum: Finally, a Piloswine sprite with decent coloring! 9/10

221.png
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Nice pose, improvement on coloring, this is the best Piloswine sprite! 10/10

221.gif
Black/White: It's the HG/SS sprite in motion! 10/10

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years
Vaporeon~
Spr_1b_134.png
->
Spr_2s_134.png
->
Spr_3r_134.png
->
Spr_4d_134.png
->
Spr_5b_134.png

I really really hate the colors for the first gen :( It's head is messed up too. The second gen is teenie weenie bit better, the third gen is a lot better than the first gen and second as they added yellow bits to Vaporeon's ears and which made it less dull :D The fourth gen Vaporeon sprite is the cutest <3 Aaand the fifth one is cute too but not as cute as the fourth one tbh.. xD;

miju-kun

soaring
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2014
197.png

I like Umbreon's HG/SS overworlds. It's cute and tiny :3.

197.png

Umbreon: HG/SS Sprite Frame 2
This looks like Umbreon is mad or something.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I wanna do Togepi because it's oh-so-cute. ~

File:Spr_2g_175.png
Gold, quite cute. But not amazingly cute. 7/10

Spr_2s_175.png
Silver, OMG. Cutest one so far. (lol out of 2) I love the position. :3 9/10

Spr_2c_175.gif
Crystal, meh. Colors are off but the animation is cute. 7/10

Spr_3r_175.png
Ruby/Sapphire, colors are cute but the sprite seems really small. 6/10

Spr_3e_175.gif
Emerald, meh 6/10 Not that great just rolls from side to side. ;;

Spr_3r_175.png
FR/LG, same as R/S 6/10

dpmfa175.png
D/P, not the best position but I do like the colors. 7/10

175.png
Pt, aww o3o so cute. The position is nice and so's the coloring. 9/10

175.png
HG/SS, positioning and size is way off. Not very good IMO. \; 5/10

175.gif
B/W, move over Silver, I just found the cutest thing in the world. <33 10/10

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
Ahhhh!!! Someones probably did this one, but Dragonites my faaaavvvvorite!!

149.gif
GREEN
149.gif
RED/BLUE
149.gif
YELLOW
149.gif
GOLD
149.gif
SILVER
149.gif
CRYSTAL
304.gif
RUBY
149.gif
FIRE RED/LEAF GREEN
EMERALD
DIAMOND/PEARL/PLATINUM
HEARTGOLD/SOULSILVER
BLACK/WHITE

Personally, I think the cutest is the Diamond/Pearl one! I think by Black/White, Dragonite lost A LOT of weight. Too skinny; I like my Dragonites cute and chubby! ;D

Years
I really miss my brown Sneasel, which is why I play my Gold and Silver now and then. Brown Sneasel is awesome with its blue 'feather'.

There a reason Sneasel got a sprite recoloring for Crystal forward? Its shiny has stayed rather consistant. Not that the current Sneasel colors are bad, I just liked the brown.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
:laugh: @ Marowak losing weight :p

Some of the Japanese Red & Green sprites make me giggle... although all first Gen ones look weird now! Here are a few of my choice favourites from those games:

Spr_1g_004.png
Spr_1g_005.png
Spr_1g_006.png
DERP!

Spr_1b_026.png
FATTY!

Spr_1b_037.png
Spr_1g_037.png
Yet more derp

[img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f5/Spr_1g_077.png Just what?!

Spr_1b_102.png
Uber egg!

Spr_1g_103.png
This just looks weird

Spr_1b_113.png
Spr_1g_113.png
Another fatty

Spr_1b_118.png
Why is it so angry-looking?!

Spr_b_g1_134.png
(Vaporeon's back sprite) this just never looked like how it should to me

Spr_1g_144.png
Again, just doesn't look right

Spr_1b_147.png
Spr_1g_147.png
I don't like the lines on it

Spr_1g_149.png
This looks too skinny haha!

Spr_1g_151.png
This one always gets me! Just LOL :laugh:

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I really miss my brown Sneasel, which is why I play my Gold and Silver now and then. Brown Sneasel is awesome with its blue 'feather'.

There a reason Sneasel got a sprite recoloring for Crystal forward? Its shiny has stayed rather consistant. Not that the current Sneasel colors are bad, I just liked the brown.

There are many instances of sprites from the first few generations having inconsistencies with the official design.

The most likely explanation is that the sprite artists worked using reference sheets that used unfinalised designs, designs which would have changed slightly before the game was released. By the time they discovered these mistakes it would likely have been too late to correct them for the initial release of the game (Gold and Silver have a few sprites that were changed for the American release to correct errors).

This tends to happen sometimes when you've gotta draw a whole lotta sprites at once while the game could still be in radical development. If you ever play the original Sonic The Hedgehog, pay close attention to his sprite - in some frames the white stripe on his shoes is missing; it was only added to his design partway through the game's development.

And we've also seen several instances where the sprites in Pokémon have changed dramatically between prototypes and the final game - the three Sinnoh starter Pokémon have prototype back sprites that were drawn and shaded in the Generation III style, as well as similar backsprites of R/S Pokémon that seem to be indicative of a gradual change from the style of Gen III sprites to Gen IV ones.

Last edited:

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
Years
I'll do Rapidash just for the heck of it, since no one evaluated it thus far.

Spoiler:

Years
Today, I am doing the Pokemon I chose as my starter way back when I was playing SoulSilver... CYNDAQUIL!

155.png
Gold: Good pose but the coloring just doesn't stack up with the more modern games. 6/10

155.png
Silver: Pose is worse than Gold. 4/10

155.gif
Crystal: It's just the Gold sprite reversed and moving, not a fan of reverse-facing poses. 2/10

155.png
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen: Looks happy there! 7/10

155.png
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Pose is weird, not as bad as GSC possibly because of better coloring. 5/10

155.png
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Best of them all! Loved this sprite cos it has originality. 10/10

155.gif
Black/White: Not as good pose as HGSS but the animation and coloring is good. 9.5/10

Years
I'll do Seadra! :D

117.png

Red/Blue - The pose and coloring is OK 6/10

117.png

Yellow - Better than the previous one. 7/10

117.png

Gold/Silver - I hate the color and his pose makes him look a flying type. 5/10

117.gif

Crystal - Her tail is a bit screwed but I like the animation. 7/10

117.gif

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen - His true color came out YAY!! but the animation is wierd. 8/10

117.png

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - This is his best pose! 10/10

117.png

Heartgold/ Soulsilver - Why can't you look at me! 9/10

117.gif

The same with Platinum but moving 10/10

Years
Today, I'm doing another popular Water-type Pokemon - Marill!

183.png
Gold: Nice pose, although not as good as later generations. 5/10

183.png
Silver: Cute but not very colorful. 4/10

183.gif
Crystal: One of the very few Crystal sprites that doesn't recycle the Gold pose. 5/10

183.png
R/S/FR/LG/E: Nice pose but the colors only get better! 7/10

183.png
Diamond/Pearl: Way too light and uncreative pose. 4/10

183.png
Platinum: This is where Marill starts to get better in appearance. 9/10

183.png
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Best Marill sprite ever, well done Game Freak designers! 10/10

183.gif
Black/White: It's the HG/SS sprite recycled but now it's actually moving! 10/10

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Okay everyone, the thread is called sprite discussion not sprite "let's post all this Pokemon's sprite for +1 post count". I'm not going to make rules for this thread or anything, but can we please cut back on the posting sprites, giving a caption/quick run down, then leaving? Like, at least say something about what other people have pointed out about other sprites.

If you need an example of how this thread used to work when it was fun: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185180&page=4

Please and thank you guys. Now, to get a few things started...

Who's THAT Pokemon!? ._.

Spr_b_g1_123.png

Spr_1g_107.png

This is really Togekiss watching Doduo take a dump. It's not really a Hitmonchan...

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
Years
Okay everyone, the thread is called sprite discussion not sprite "let's post all this Pokemon's sprite for +1 post count". I'm not going to make rules for this thread or anything, but can we please cut back on the posting sprites, giving a caption/quick run down, then leaving? Like, at least say something about what other people have pointed out about other sprites.

If you need an example of how this thread used to work when it was fun: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185180&page=4

Please and thank you guys. Now, to get a few things started...

Who's THAT Pokemon!? ._.

Spr_b_g1_123.png

Spr_1g_107.png

This is really Togekiss watching Doduo take a dump. It's not really a Hitmonchan...
So does it mean that we can still do the Pokemon sprite evolution things but just not as much?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You can still do them, yes, but if you look at the three posts before my last one, that's all people are doing. They're not even discussing, and I'd like this thread to be for discussing, not just "post sprites, get +1 post count, go off" and rinse and repeat. So yes, they can still be posted, but if you're going to post them, try to add in stuff about the last one that was posted to make your post at least have a purpose other than just posting sprites. Like I said, look at the earlier pages of the thread and you'll see what I mean.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
Spr_1b_054.png
Bit of stretching before the battle
Spr_b_3r_104.png
BATTER UP!
Spr_1b_143.png
Am I being seduced?
Spr_1b_111.png
Truly one of the worst genration 1 sprite ever

Also im guessing that green back sprite was a scyther........ I think

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
Years
Spr_1b_111.png
Truly one of the worst genration 1 sprite ever

Also im guessing that green back sprite was a scyther........ I think

That definitely was a scyther, and that Rhydon sprite looks pretty normal to me.

Spr_1b_103.png

Creepy.

Spr_1y_150.png

Ahh, time to take a long, nice stretch. Oops, i think i cracked a bone. Seriously, the neck chord thing on the back of it, looks way too long. Compare it to b/w:
Spr_b_5b_150.png

See how tiny it is there?

Spr_1b_080.png

It's a chain. He's eating his own shell, and the shell is eating him! reminds me of how my dog eats his tail.

rbspr069.png

It looks anemic.

rbspr006.png

If you look at it really quick, it looks like Dragonite. I actually thought it was Dragonite at first, until i noticed the flame on its tail. ಠ_ಠ

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, the back sprite was Scyther. I thought it was Rhydon at first. (Yeah, I know. Green Rhydon lol.)

Spr_1b_054.png

lmao OMG. "I got this guys. Stand back."

The RB Charizard looks like he's trying to hoard something all to himself, even though there's nothing there for him to hide. Still though. :( And I love Mewtwo's BW sprite/animation. <3

150.gif

Back