• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if there was different starter types?

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Ok so in every game (besides yellow) you are always only able to pick a grass-type pokemon, fire-type pokemon, water-type pokemon and those types are one of the basic types in the game. But what if GF replaced our current starter types with a fighting-type, ice-type and flying-type pokemon? Would that work or not? How would you feel about that? Would that change the game completely? Would that make the game easier/harder? Boring/Interesting? Would you like to see this in the future? Discuss!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would be really nice to have a change to the starters with different types in later generations, but that might not happen for quite a long time, knowing that they've been continuing the same trend of having a Grass, Fire and Water starter.

And a Fighting, Ice and Flying sounds like a great combination for starters and in how one would be weak against each other, I can just imagine something like this happening in a ROM hack.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Given how broad of a topic this is and the fact that it has been shown that X and Y will continue to follow through with the traditional starter types, I'm just going to bump this on over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

I've always seen Grass, Fire, and Water as the three most basic types followed by Electric, Normal, and Flying. If given the chance to start with anything different, it might only make the game easier, at least at the start. To change up the starter types would certainty be interesting, but I doubt GameFreak will ever break from that tradition in any future generation.

Last edited:

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Given how broad of a topic this is and the fact that it has been shown that X and Y will continue to follow through with the traditional starter types, I'm just going to bump this on over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

I've always seen Grass, Fire, and Water as the three most basic types followed by Electric, Normal, and Flying. If given the chance to start with anything different, it might only make the game easier, at least at the start. To change up the starter types would certainty be interesting, but I doubt GameFreak will ever break from that tradition in any future generation.

Sorry about that, I didnt think of that. I didn't remember that the starters already was revealed. Gomenasai community!

Years
I know different-typed starters would be fun, but there's not many elemental triangles that don't work as great as the traditional Grass/Fire/Water trio, which I doubt Game Freak would break the trend of anytime soon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'd love to see new starter types one day. I like Fire, Grass, and Water types, but a change would be fun from this. I doubt this will ever happen to any main game though. Spinoffs are probably where it will stay.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I don't see them changing up the Water/Grass/Fire starter tradition anytime soon seeing as they've done it so long. But with the other elemental triangle (Fighting / Flying / Ice ) in mind I wouldn't mind seeing dual-type files with both elemental triangles going. Kind of like Sinnoh where the Pokemon with an advantage of the next type would have the disadvantage going the other way (Sinnoh didn't completely do that but close enough). So it would be a Fire/Fighting (which, if they did this I wouldn't mind really), Grass/Flying, and Water/Ice.

Bankaism

I'd ditch my starter right away because I would hate the change. If the starters were to change with Gamefreaks god-like powers the starter types would be Fighting, Dark and Psychic because Gamefreak likes to make things are triangle weakness as hell.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I believe there are only two type triangles that would work exactly the same way as the traditional grass-fire-water. Those would be grass-poison-ground and rock-fighting-flying; there's a "super effective" advantage in one direction and a "not very effective" disadvantage in the other. They'd probably work, though I'd probably find it kinda jarring to leave behind the traditional triangle. I'm usually open to change though, so I might be fine after getting used to it a bit. ^-^ As for how it would affect the game, I'm not really sure. I guess a rock-type would have an advantage because of their resistance to normal attacks that most begin with. So that might be unfair.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
As I point out every time this subject comes up - it's very unlikely that GF will ever change the starting type triangle. At most, they might add another triangle for a higher difficulty level or something like that.

The thing is - the type triangle isn't for us - the people who have already played the games. It's there for the benefit of people who have never played the games before, to ease them into the whole concept of types being strong to some types and weak to other types. Grass, Water and Fire is a triangle that pretty much anyone, even with no familiarity with the games, can understand, so it's certainly the one they'll keep using.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I believe there are only two type triangles that would work exactly the same way as the traditional grass-fire-water. Those would be grass-poison-ground and rock-fighting-flying

Or there is the Fire-Rock-Steel cycle, meaning that there are three type triangles that will work similar to the usual cycle. It's probably going to be unfair as well, especially considering that Steel has a large number of resistances...

If there was a change we would also have to give names of abilities similar to the Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent cycle. BTW there is one for Bug types which is Swarm.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Or there is the Fire-Rock-Steel cycle, meaning that there are three type triangles that will work similar to the usual cycle. It's probably going to be unfair as well, especially considering that Steel has a large number of resistances...

Oh right, didn't catch that one! >_<; That triangle is definitely not friendly to the fire-type starter.

And Arlo makes a good point about the starter types helping to ease new players into type matchups with an easy-to-understand triangle. I guess that was the whole point of the Striaton Gym and B/W being a fresh start and all.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I won't be used to it, it will neither be interesting nor boring to me.
Just normal, well to be honest.
I'm very used to grass, water, and fire. And I don't want to see this in the future.

cibir

Blaine's Apprentice
Years
Yeah, I'm getting a little sick of water, fire, and grass starters. Like it makes sense to give the choice to beginning trainers, but if we break the mold a little bit and have an older character or something, maybe Dark would be an awesome choice...

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
They kind of touched on this with the spin-off games like PMD and the GameCube games. I loved the availability of any Eeveelution from the start of XD, easily one of my favorite games. You get Espeon and Umbreon in Colosseum, which I guess kind of counts. The biggest typing range is definitely in PMD though, that's not what you mean XD

I like how the starters in DPPt all check and balance each other, but I think that Grass, Fire, and Water is pretty well rounded and gives a good variety.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I doubt they will ever change the starter types, since they are one of the basic pokemon game trademarks, but i always thought it would make the games more interesting and unique if they did. I'd love to see a Fighting - Dark - Psychic triangle for example!

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Zorogami had my exact idea. I feel like that triangle would be a little more interesting, obviously not as diverse, but still, fun to go through a game like that. I think that the idea in general would be interesting, it'd break a flow of repeating that many people accuse Pokemon of, but it still wouldn't feel right. I'd be neutral if it happened, not amazingly happy, but not sad in any way at all.

Overall: Interesting, but would feel very strange.

Sirfetch’d

I like the current starter types and I see no reason to change them. Also there isnt another combination that makes a perfect triangle both ways iirc.

Back