• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Years
In PDPT I picked Chimchar because I was like "Holy crap a flaming poop flinging monkey?! Yeeeah!"

Back in GSC I picked Cyndaquil cause it was like tradition and I had liked fire at the time.

And yes my infernape has Throw and a bag of mulch as his held item FYI Mulch is like poop and soil mixed together xD

TheCollector

Merely a collector
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2014
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - first pick was Turtwig/Gortle/Torterra...because it looked awesome, seemed to put up a challenge (five weaknesses which later become four but double for Ice), and it can learn Earthquake.

HeartGold/SoulSilver - Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr...love the Water-type and Feraligatr looks awesome. Surely impressive specimen for my collection.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
On Platinun I chose Piplup and then on SoulSilver I chose Totodile (just like in Silver!).

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For me, I once played Diamond...And I chose Piplup. For Platinum, I used Piplup as well. And for HeartGold (both of them, I have two)...Totodile's my choice. For SoulSilver...Chikorita became my choice instead. So, I mostly use Water-types.

Bubbles987

Ace Trainer
Years
I tend to buy both games, so I picked Piplup in Pearl, Chimchar in Diamond, and Turtwig in Platinum. And even though I love Cyndaquil, I picked Totodile for HG and will be picking Chikorita when I play SS >.<

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
In Diamond, I chose Piplup as my starter. I was obsessed with Dawn at the time, and I just had to complete her Pokemon list. I don't have Pearl/Platinum/HG/SS so end of story.

YourFavorite

One who can't think of a title
Years
I almost always choose Grass or Fire starters. Before getting diamond, I thought to myself, "whichever one I get, I'm not getting the stupid monkey." Well, I ended up getting the stupid monkey 'cause I wanted Floatzel and either Pachirisu or Shinx (went with Shinx). It ended up not being so bad, I like Monferno but Infernape is not one of my favorites. In Platinum, I picked piplup because I hadn't gotten one yet.

For HG, I picked tododile, but immediately ditched it for Horsea (my plan all along). The idea for my run was that after beating each gym, I would gain a new pokemon on my team that matched the gym's type. So, after beating the dragon gym, I finally evolved my Seadra into Kingdra. It was pretty awesome. If I hadn't done that, I probably would've picked Cyndaquil (my starter back when I played Crystal version) or Chikorita for a change of pace (I have some sort of grudge against Tododile I guess).

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
My favorite Pokémon is Totodile, and in Platinum i picked my personal Favorite Turtwig!
I prefer Totodile then Cyndaquil.
I never really liked Cyndaquil at all.
Turtwig is awesome.
That's all i can say about Turtwig.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Pearl the first time I played it I chose Chimchar. However I started not to feel the game or the team that I had and so after transferring that team over to Diamond I restarted and picked Turwig instead. Liked it a lot better than Chimchar.

Diamond I picked Piplup because it was the last of the three. No other reason other than that though. Thankfully I liked it more than I thought I initially would.

Soul Silver I picked Totodile for nostalgia reasons, as Totodile was the first starter I have ever chosen on my Silver version which was the first Pokemon game that I have ever played.

Pink Mommy

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
In Diamond I chose Chimchar, because May made me dislike Piplup
In Soul Silver I chose Cyndaquil, because I love Quilava
I'm not really a fire trainer, but... come to think of it, I chose Torchic in Hoenn and Charmander in Kanto...

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
In Diamond I chose Chimchar, because May made me dislike Piplup
In Soul Silver I chose Cyndaquil, because I love Quilava
I'm not really a fire trainer, but... come to think of it, I chose Torchic in Hoenn and Charmander in Kanto...

Why do you think you've swayed more toward fire type starters?

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2016
Diamond I chose Piplup. (I normally pick Water Type Starters).

Soul Silver I chose Cyndaquil. (Was a great change for me).

Period.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
other?
lol I picked Cyndaquil (who seems to be popular) and Piplup

Zapperz

colour swapper!
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Ive had always been picking fire-type starters. I dont even like fire-types that much.. I guess im used to it. so, i picked Chimchar in Pt and Cyndaquil in SS.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I've played Pokémon Pearl three times now, and always had Piplup for my starter. I never found picking my first pokémon difficult, because it's always water. x3

Years
Piplup for D/P/Pt, because I like more of a challenge in my games when choosing a starter.
Chikorita for HG/SS, same reason why, and I like peaceful, calm, grass types.

Back