• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
The first time, I believe I chose Piplup, making him my very first Pokemon. For SS (which I got as a Christmas gift last year) my sister's fiance helped me find the evolutions of the starters and eventually led me to choose Cyndaquil.

I remember soft-resetting for hours to find a shiny starter on HG. Took me about half of an hour to get a shiny Chikorita. After, I spent 3ish hours soft-resetting some more and couldn't find a thing.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I played Pokemon Raptor EX (an rmxp game) before playing Platinum. I had chosen Piplup there. Having a part steel type is usually good. So many resistances. I also like its evolutionary line. Prinplup not so much. A penguin shouldn't have an owl face LOL. Empoleon is just awesome. It's name is like music to ear :D It looks cool. The trident in his face gives him a fierce look. Not a big fan of the tie around his neck but emporer penguins are joked about wearing tuxedos, so I guess it's fine :)

So, in Platinum I chose Chimchar because I like fire types and I get bored quick. His second type is nice too. No Piplup second time.

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
Totodile, it was my first ever starter. I can honestly say that I believe that hardest decision you will ever make in life is which starter you will choose when playing your first ever pokémon game.

Years
I love fire types and Cyndaquil is my favorite
Thypholsion is very cool design wise and super strong and good defense

Chimchar is good too. Esepcially when evolves into Monferno, because it's type changes to fire and fight which is useful ^^

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I took Cyndaquil in Heart Gold, since when I first got Gold, I took Cyndaquil too.

When I got Diamond, I chose Piplup. Pretty slow, but very sturdy and resistant to a lot of attacks :)

Utzipher

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 4, 2014
Diamond/Platinum - Piplup
SoulSilver - Totodile

Always a water trainer at heart.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
The two water's because i always like to have an advantage against the Rock leader and not have to wait for my fire starter to be able to overpower the rocks. Since i started on Sapphire i've really been mostly water. Cept for Bulbasaur and Squirtle being very hard to change and decide...in LeafGreen and FireRed.

Ryusu

Pokétopia Master
Years
I always took the fire starter in every generation except in B/W. Which was when I chose Snivy. Cyndaquil is my all-time favorite starter.

blue

gucci
Years
To this point I've used all six of these starters but upon my first choice it was:

Diamond - Piplup
Soul Silver - Totodile

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I ditched my DPPt starter.
I used both Cyndaquil and Totodile in SS, I picked Cyndaquil on the poll because I prefer it to Totodile these days.

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I love using the Fire and Grass starters~! Water? Ummm...not so much since I usually can get good water type pokemon anyway. Didn't pick water starter until B&W.

Years

Cyndaquil all the way! Chikorita is a close second when you want to do a harder playthrough (grass types generally don't have many strengths), and Totodile can easily be replaced by stronger water types later in the game (Gyarados, Suicune, etc.).

cxd

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2013
I used Piplup the first time I played Platinum and Turtwig the second. I always used Totodile in Silver, so I decided to try something new in HeartGold and chose Cyndaquil(I regret that).

RenegadeClyde

....'-'.
Years
In all my Dp/pt playtroughs I've chosen Turtwig, because he's pretty cool and I love his final evolution. In HG/SS, I've picked Cyndaquil because I really like him (Especially because of Gold in the manga), and when I first played pokémon Gold I also had a Cyndaquil.

Back