• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Soot Sack

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Bag_Blue_Flute_Sprite.png
Bag_Red_Flute_Sprite.png
Bag_Yellow_Flute_Sprite.png
Bag_Black_Flute_Sprite.png
Bag_White_Flute_Sprite.png
Located in the middle of Hoenn's Route 113 is the Glass Workshop. Upon the first visit the player can obtain the Soot Sack and begin collecting volcanic ash by walking in the grey grass on the route and Jagged Pass. This ash can then be exchanged for different flutes and decorations for your secret base. Did you ever spend your time collecting ash? Did you ever save up enough for the Pretty Desk? What did you like/dislike about this feature?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I loved this feature, although I hated how time-consuming and/or money-wasting it was. I would always stock up on Max Repel then go back and forth through the route trying to run in every tile e_e

If they ever do a RSE remake, I wish they would make it somewhat easier. Maybe in those meteor craters, have it so the soot builds up and you can get like 12 steps worth in each four-tile crater or something, Idk.

I never did get a Pretty Desk or Pretty Chair but I've always really wanted them :s

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I thought it was a cool feature, until it took me like an hour to get the first item (white flute?). And I ran out of money for Repels anyways so I just moved on haha.

Pizzey

Shutter-Shaded Minccino
Years
If there was more soot covered areas it would have been nicer, or maybe make it so things aren't so 'expensive'.

Years
I managed to get a couple of the different flutes, but I never had the patience to try and get the Pretty Chair or Desk. I think the idea of the Soot Sack was a good one, but it probably could have been executed a bit better (needing 8000 steps for the desk was pretty ridiculous, as that would have wasted 32 Max Repels or $22,400 if done perfectly, but realistically more like 40-50 Max Repels).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually try to always at least get a Blue and Yellow Flute for my in-game runs, maybe a Red one if I have the time and patience. I did go for the pretty desk long ago, and tbh I wasn't that impressed haha. Not worth it, for those of you thinking about trying for it. :P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I know that it was very long and pointless to do (according to my friends) but it was well worth it whenever I was bored in class, I would just collect ashes. The only bad part of this was I had to keep buying max repels and if not, I would run into many different types of Spindas and rarely Skarmory. -_-"

:t354:TG

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'll normally try and get a Blue Flute because they're rather useful. It took me ages, but I have bought the decorations before, they look good so it was worth it. I liked how it was another thing to do, but the cost of Repels was annoying.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I loved the game (Ruby and Emerald) as a kid so I played it all the time, I didn't want to stop playing until I did everything so I would occasionally get me a flute to use to help me advance. The Red, Blue and Yellow didn't do much so I went for the White one first to find rare pokemon, I used to faint every pokemon in sight and it would have me way high leveled but then I eventually got annoyed by Tentacool and got the White. Then it was the others, just for the sake of playing the game.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I think in the 1000 playthroughs of pokemon Emerald that I have done I have never even bothered to do that minigame, It seems pointless and though the rewards are okay I never saw any real use for them.

Cid

Years
I used to be obsessed with that little feature! I was in for the flutes, of course. Although I don't think I ever got to trade in enough ash for more that two flutes, I still oddly enjoyed collecting the ash. I remember trying to step through all the soot covered tall grass tiles in a single continuous line of movement and just having fun. I think back then I also tried to get one of those cheap decorations for your secret base (because I loved that feature back then for some reason) and felt ripped off right after purchasing, haha. But I'm pretty sure I never saved up enough for the Pretty Desk.

I love how useful the flutes were in HeartGold so I suppose I should thank this feature for being responsible for their creation. It gets tedious after a while, though. Especially when you get older and try it out again, apparently.

Back