• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Books to Read?

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I have allot of books I like to read. Once I get a book I get so immersed in it, its almost as if i'm playing B2 on my ds! I like mostly fantasy books, mainly ones that involve animals, magic, mythical creatures(DRAGONS!....*ahem*), and adventure.

My favorite authors are Cressida Cowell, Erin Hunter, Chris D'Lacey, and EJ Outbacker.

Only problem is, :nervous: I havnt been able to go to the book store lately.

So, anyway I wanted to ask you guys what your favorite types of books are and maybe even your favorite authors and/or book series if you have any.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I was a big fan of DJ Machale's books (Are you afraid of the dark?) but more recently, his Pendragon series (which I guess is a bit old now, though.) I loooveee Pendragon, and it's possibly one of my favourite books series <3 I really like children's or older teen's fantasy for some reason.. its really imaginative! So like Harry Potter, and The Saga of Darren Shan was cool, too.
I liked some of Douglas Coupland's books too, even though it's for older audiences.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
The only one of your listed authors that I recognize is Erin Hunter. Which of her (their) series did/do you read? (I've read some of their books, despite the fact that I think I'm above the intended age. I've met adults online who read one series, though.)

I don't read much anymore. Mostly studying, though (first aid, edible/medicinal plants, etc). :T Unless you count school-related stuff, which I don't really have a choice in the matter.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I was a big fan of DJ Machale's books (Are you afraid of the dark?) but more recently, his Pendragon series (which I guess is a bit old now, though.) I loooveee Pendragon, and it's possibly one of my favourite books series <3

What is this pendragon series of which you speak? :3 it sounds interesting

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I like fantasy novels a liot, and it's really my favorite, favorite authors are JK Rowling and authors like her. Favorite series are Harry Potter, Chrnonicles of Narnia, books similar to that, but I like a wide variety of books and genres.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Besides mangas, I like Fantasy stories. I've read tons of books from Christie Golden, who wrote lots of books about Starcraft, World of Warcraft and Diablo etc.
I'm a huge WoW fan, and reading her books make me know even more about the lore of the game :)

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
Any kind. Usually science fiction, legends and informative. I'm currently reading "Mark of Athena" of the Heroes of Olympus series.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
I love fantasy books, Historic fiction, Mob Stories or Gangsters Stories but my huge guilty pleasure are romance novels. Some of my favorite authors are J.K Rowling, Zane, Nikki Tuner, and Mario Puzo. I'm currently reading The Godfather Returns.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
My favorite areas to read are middle grade and crime novels. I mostly like middle grade because it can be a very imaginative area with a lot of realistic optimism to it that I enjoy so much. It's also the area I want to write in, naturally I have to read a lot of what I want to write. Crime novels are...well, they snuck up on me. I had to read Red Harvest a few years ago for class and ended up speeding through the book because I was so engrossed by everything that was going on. After I finished that book, I went on and grabbed a bunch of other Dashiell Hammett books.

Favorite authors...anything by Hammett, John Green, Trenton Lee Stewart, Rick Riordan, and Ken Follett, yeah. I'll find myself able to dive right into those authors' works and have a great time rereading them over and over.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Omg I used to be obsessed with Erin Hunter in the sixth grade when I started reading the Warriors series, way back during the original six books *u*

Right now, my favorite series are His Dark Materials. That replaced Harry Potter on my list, though I think that's out of loss of interest in Harry since the final movie was released...​

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I love reading! It's one of my number one hobbies. I can never live at least a week without having a good novel to read (that's kind of an exaggeration, but you get the point!) xD I read any genre of books, but my favourite genre is fantasy. The books that I really love are the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix and the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Those are just simply sensational! I honestly recommend them to any reader who loves a good book, fantasy-lover or not. :D There sure are loads more, but I'll take a whole day talking all about them hahaha~

MelchiorFlyer

Flygon
Years
I'm a bookworm. Totally. A list of my favorite books /series *=series
Warrior Cats*
Dogsbody
Hunger Games*
Hank the Cow Dog*
Flip Flop

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll often read fantasy, comedy and adventure, but I'd often read other genres as well. Those ones I just tend to prefer.

One author I particular like is Diana Wynne Jones; all the stories I've read of hers I have enjoyed immensely thus far. I need to find some more on that matter... Others off the top of my head include Terry Pratchet (hard to not like his writing style and humour), Ursula Le Guin (Earthsea series is worth checking out) and Michael Crichton.

Years
Right now, my favorite series are His Dark Materials.

Ooooooh, those are good ones. (It's such a shame they made such a mediocre movie of The Golden Compass.) Really great examples of what the genre can do.

the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix

Ahhhhh, that really brings me back. I really enjoyed those books, even though I can barely remember them. I just remember reading them intensely and not wanting to put them down.

One author I particular like is Diana Wynne Jones; all the stories I've read of hers I have enjoyed immensely thus far. I need to find some more on that matter... Others off the top of my head include Terry Pratchet (hard to not like his writing style and humour), Ursula Le Guin (Earthsea series is worth checking out) and Michael Crichton.
AHHHHHH

I love those authors. I've read almost everything by Terry Pratchett and Ursula Le Guin, and everything I've found of Jones. I can't remember what series I was going to mention now.

Oh, wait. I remember. Walter Moers. He wrote The City of Dreaming Books, which became one of my all time favorite things ever when I read it. I had to grab all the other books he's written, or rather, had been translated into English - I don't know any German. I'm actually reading The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books, which is a sequel, but all the other ones are all set in the same book-universe (I think they get called the Zamonia books, after the fantasy world they take place in.) They're incredibly fun. Fantasy, but kind of goofball fantasy/adventure. But not goofball in a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy way with one nonsensical thing after another, but more like a Terry Pratchett novel without so many overt jokes and more of an overall humor written into the fabric of the books, such as in-story references to a famous Zamonian author Perla la Gadeon, which is an anagram of Edgar Allan Poe.

Years
I like reading, but I don't get to read leisurely as often as I used to because of my studies =P

I like to read story books, fact books and history books. I recently read The Haunting Of Hill House (a Penguin classic) and I thoroughly enjoyed it :P I even recommend it.

Guinness Book Of Records is also good. I like looking through a world atlas as well. Any book on East Germany/Communism/USSR/General Cold War is pretty awesome. Oh, and Ancient Rome x.x

I could read forever but unfortunately I don't have the time :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Besides manga, I mostly read literature published by hotel chains, automobile manufacturers, map companies, electronics manufacturers, state and city tourism/chambers of commerce, and the Internal Revenue Service. Some of my favorite series include:
*Quality Inn/Choice Hotels Travel & Vacation Directory series
*Haynes/Chilton's Automotive Repair Manual series
*IRS Form 1040 Filing Instructions series
*Rand McNally Road Atlas series
*North/South Carolina Tourism and Vacation Guide series.

Yeah, I'm not into reading much fiction and fantasy stuff. Unless it's manga.

Sukisu

Dark Trainer
Years
Mainly love the sci-fi, fantasy, and anything set in medieval times or has assassins. But favorite Authors have to be Steven Erikson, Brent Weeks, and R.A. Salvatore. With reading the Night Angel: A Trilogy right now.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm a bookworm, so most books would be interesting to me. I adore the works of J.K. Rowling, Jeff Kinney, and Rick Riordan. I love fantasy, especially vampires, with the exception of the horrible Twilight. Mythology and humor are also one of my favorites. The Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Wimpy Kid series are just pure awesomeness.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
Let's see....
J. K Rowling, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, James Rollins, Michael Crichton.
Usually science fiction stuff.
However, as long as the story interests me I'll read the novel (I'm a bookworm of sorts).

Back