• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Does anyone know the fire red offset of the title screen background, the one with the fireballs flying up? I am trying to replace it and when I try to fully colorize it I need the offset first...
Thanks, PokéMew

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2023
Hi folks, quick question…

In Spiky's DS Map Editor, is it possible to increase the number of different wild pokemon available in an area?

For example, let's say Route 29. I understand that I could REPLACE Pidgey with whatever Pokemon I want. But can I ADD a new option to that route (instead of replacing)?

Thanks!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hello~
I'm having a problem with Overworld Editor (Rebirth). I erased frame 0 of the player's sprite and drew this one in place of it (Snivy):

Rq8E4nO.png

After checking what it looks like in-game, this showed up:

azizks9.png

Columns of the sprite are invisible. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I have had this issue before, and it is one of the reasons I don't use OWERE. Use NSE Classic. It has the same base interface but with more features, fewer bugs, and much easier to use. Basically an updated version. And, best of all, the creator is still currently semi-active (but lost the source:( ).

So i need to go to a setflag offset (0x806E6A0) in a hex editor and set a breakpoint. What is a breakpoint? 00 or something?

After you read The Concept of ASM, go and read HackMew's tutorial. It explains how to work with breakpoints.

Does anyone know the fire red offset of the title screen background, the one with the fireballs flying up? I am trying to replace it and when I try to fully colorize it I need the offset first...
Thanks, PokéMew

I can tell you the offset you need to overwrite to get rid of it.:P Umm, I found them in Un-Lz at one point. I think they are listed on one of the many tutorials for titlescreens around here.

How do you change the in battle status bar (with the hp ,lvl and exp)

Image editing. Find them in Un-Lz and edit them.

Last edited:
Years
Hello everyone ,so I downloaded an IPS patch for a hack I wanted to play an I did the usual "put the files in the same folder rename the file" trick but when I put the rom I VBA I get a white screen. I have my save type as 128K already so I don't think I need to change that. Is it a corrupted rom file? I downloaded it recently but I'm not sure.

karatekid552

Years
Hello everyone ,so I downloaded an IPS patch for a hack I wanted to play an I did the usual "put the files in the same folder rename the file" trick but when I put the rom I VBA I get a white screen. I have my save type as 128K already so I don't think I need to change that. Is it a corrupted rom file? I downloaded it recently but I'm not sure.

Did you actually apply the patch? or are you relying on VBA's auto-patch method? Auto-patching is a terrible idea, IMO. Actually patch the rom and give it a try. Also, make sure you have the correct rom type (E, J, S, etc).

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
Years
Image editing. Find them in Un-Lz and edit them.

Do you think there is a way to make it seetrough? Like i want the color red but i want it to make so that i can see the red but also can see what is behind it?

You need to disable the call to the flagdecrypter that happens whenever you use surf. There are multiple calls to it by bl. It's offset is 0x0806E5C0 (I think this is the flagdecrypter that is used here.). Either way, set a breakpoint on that and then try to surf. Ideally, it should only run when a flag needs to be checked, so it should break only when the surf flag is being checked. From there, you can work backwards using the LR to find the routine which called it. If I remember correctly, this routine will have the flag number loaded into a register, then there is a bl to the decrypter, and then a cmp. The cmp and bl can then be overwritten so that the action which is called when the flag is set is always called, even if it not set.

If you don't know ASM, never a better time to learn. Trust me, it makes hacking a lot more fun and interesting. ASM is the gateway into finally understanding what you are doing when you hack and opens up every single possibility.

Ive read your tutorial and hackmews. So now I know when you set a breakpoint on a routine and you activate the routine (offset) the game opens the debugger where you can put commands in it, so the part in bold on the quote I understand but what is a LR and what is a CMP and a bl could you link me another tutorial?

I really appreciate the help and what youve done for me until now

Last edited:

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2023
Hi folks, quick question…

In Spiky's DS Map Editor, is it possible to increase the number of different wild pokemon available in an area?

For example, let's say Route 29. I understand that I could REPLACE Pidgey with whatever Pokemon I want. But can I ADD a new option to that route (instead of replacing)?

Thanks!

Sorry, one thing to add… I don't need to learn HOW to do it… just whether or not it's possible. (I don't have the software yet)

Thanks again.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I have had this issue before, and it is one of the reasons I don't use OWERE. Use NSE Classic. It has the same base interface but with more features, fewer bugs, and much easier to use. Basically an updated version. And, best of all, the creator is still currently semi-active (but lost the source:( ).

I downloaded NSE Classic (instead of OWERE) and loaded up the frame and redrew it. After that, I checked it in-game and the same result showed up. Do you know if there is any way to fix this problem? I really need to figure this out...

karatekid552

Years
I downloaded NSE Classic (instead of OWERE) and loaded up the frame and redrew it. After that, I checked it in-game and the same result showed up. Do you know if there is any way to fix this problem? I really need to figure this out...

I think the corruption might be stuck in there. Try repointing the image data (don't copy frames) and then try again. You can do that all in NSE.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I think the corruption might be stuck in there. Try repointing the image data (don't copy frames) and then try again. You can do that all in NSE.

Argh, it didn't get rid of the corruption... I do have many backups, but the one before OW editing was quite a while ago. Guess I'll have to restore from backup. Thanks for the info, anyways. At least I learned something from this -_-

karatekid552

Years
Do you think there is a way to make it seetrough? Like i want the color red but i want it to make so that i can see the red but also can see what is behind it?

See through is tough and will require ASM. Let's work on one tough thing at a time.:P

Ive read your tutorial and hackmews. So now I know when you set a breakpoint on a routine and you activate the routine (offset) the game opens the debugger where you can put commands in it, so the part in bold on the quote I understand but what is a LR and what is a CMP and a bl could you link me another tutorial?

I really appreciate the help and what youve done for me until now

This will help you greatly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pq34x0jrni4uqt/THUMB Reference.pdf

"bl" and "cmp" are commands in ASM, like "goto" and "if" are in C.

Argh, it didn't get rid of the corruption... I do have many backups, but the one before OW editing was quite a while ago. Guess I'll have to restore from backup. Thanks for the info, anyways. At least I learned something from this -_-

Dude? Did you even read the second half of my response?? Just repoint the frames... The corruption is most likely in the image itself... So repoint to some free space, get a clean slate, and then draw/import the images again.

Last edited:

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2023
I think the best way to find out is download the software and try it, ;)

I'm afraid there are complicating factors. If it was that straight-forward for me I'd have done it.

Would you mind just answering it if it's an easy question?

To repeat, in Spiky's DS Map Editor (that's what you guys are referring to as SDME, right?), can you add more different wild pokemon to a route, rather than just replacing them? Like, could I make it so there are 15 different wild pokemon on route 29, instead of just the 4.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
I have a question that has to do with palettes for overworld sprites:

I added overworlds of the Kanto starters to FireRed (bitmaps taken from the HGSS OWs), inserted their own palettes, pointed them, etc. The OWs look fine in Overworld Editor RE, but they don't work in-game.

Relevant screenshot:
wfhi.png

So here's the deal. In this little event, Bulbasaur appears first, then Charmander, then Squirtle (you can hardly tell because the colors are so messed up, but it's Squirtle). Bulbasaur's palette is fine to begin with. Then when Charmander appears, I suppose it changes Bulbasaur's palette to Charmander's. Squirtle's palette is just... yeah.

In Overworld Editor RE, I sort of figured out that the problem has to do with the "Unknown Data 2" field. Both the Bulbasaur and Charmander OWs have 1A 01 00 00 in that field whereas the Squirtle OW uses 19 01 00 00. If I change the first byte to 10, it screws up the player OW's palette. If I change it to anything other than 1A, the OW screws up like Squirtle up there.

Without going deeper into the details, does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it from happening? As an aside, I'm not using JPAN's Hacked Engine (which gave me huge headaches when trying to figure out how to insert new OWs because most of the guides require it).

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
How could I change the multichoice box options using a hex editor? Is it just as simple as finding the offset and changing a few bytes?

karatekid552

Years
I have a question that has to do with palettes for overworld sprites:

I added overworlds of the Kanto starters to FireRed (bitmaps taken from the HGSS OWs), inserted their own palettes, pointed them, etc. The OWs look fine in Overworld Editor RE, but they don't work in-game.

Relevant screenshot:
wfhi.png

So here's the deal. In this little event, Bulbasaur appears first, then Charmander, then Squirtle (you can hardly tell because the colors are so messed up, but it's Squirtle). Bulbasaur's palette is fine to begin with. Then when Charmander appears, I suppose it changes Bulbasaur's palette to Charmander's. Squirtle's palette is just... yeah.

In Overworld Editor RE, I sort of figured out that the problem has to do with the "Unknown Data 2" field. Both the Bulbasaur and Charmander OWs have 1A 01 00 00 in that field whereas the Squirtle OW uses 19 01 00 00. If I change the first byte to 10, it screws up the player OW's palette. If I change it to anything other than 1A, the OW screws up like Squirtle up there.

Without going deeper into the details, does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it from happening? As an aside, I'm not using JPAN's Hacked Engine (which gave me huge headaches when trying to figure out how to insert new OWs because most of the guides require it).

My guide doesn't require JPAN's engine. Look for: "Advance Overworld Sprite Editing: Part 2".

The reason the palettes collide is because in that series of bytes, it is is 1X010000. Only the X matters. If you go into VBA->Tools->Palette Viewer, you will see 16 palettes for OBJ. That X determines which palette slot is used for the OW. Only 0-A are availible. 0 is always the player.

How could I change the multichoice box options using a hex editor? Is it just as simple as finding the offset and changing a few bytes?

There is a tutorial around here somewhere.... Look for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back