• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: The Leola Project

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years

[a id]letter[/a id]
A Letter From The Editor

In keeping with the Progressing Hacks forum rules, I am required to include an introduction to this thread. With that being said, you can call me Winter. You do not need to know anything about me, since this thread isn't about me. If you want to know about me, you can post a Visitor Message--not a Private Message, as I'll delete it and consider it clutter. That is all. Thanks.

This ROM hack is a game of Fire Red. BPRE1.0 to be exact. I can't tell you where to find such a thing, as it is illegal. However, I have a friend who can help you. He goes by the name "Google." Use that information however you wish.

[a id]prologue[/a id]
The Prologue

Often times, it is not he of noble blood that rises to greatness; or he of the direct opposite circumstances. It does not take a genius to uncover great, hidden truths, no. Sometimes, all it takes is a normal person to be at the wrong place at the right time.

Tale has been passed down, generation to generation of the two trainers, Mark and Leola who heroically triumphed over the band of the treacherous trainers known as the Abyssal Crusaders in days of forgotten times. Armed with their companions, they battled against hordes of these traitors to the nation that stood in the past, and ultimately lost their lives in the battle in one, final, grand moment of pure selflessness and sacrifice.

The site in which the battle took place, in today's time, is known as the Highlander Pass and is a wonderful landscape of lush scenery and flowing bodies of water teeming with the life of several Pokémon that inhabit the area. It is left as a tribute to the two brave warriors who have been lost in a world in which treachery stuck its filthy fingers and tainted. Their graves are said to be somewhere within the Highlander Pass, but it has never been discovered and searches have long been abandoned.

Today, this story is nothing but a fairy tale, much like Jack and the Beanstalk or Cinderella and the Seven Dwarves—only used to entertain the mind of children. Today you are just a normal, young boy; at the wrong place, but at the right time.

[a id]The story so far[/a id]
The Story So Far

Summer

The world is alive with the songs of summer, created by the bright birds and carried by the soft, cheek-kissing winds. The sun's comforting warmth, in addition to the blue skies and fully-bloomed flowers set the perfect mood for an adventure. Today, Sonny Kalen, an average teenage boy, is sent on a simple errand for his long-time friend, Harold. As with all plans, never do things go accordingly. What does Derek want? What is the story behind the peculiar Sinclaire family? What in the world did Ms. Delfin mean? By summer's end, Sonny will have these questions answered. With his Eevee by his side, Sonny is at the start of his adventure; and whether he likes it or not, there is nowhere to go but forward.

[a id]features[/a id]
Features

Non - Standard

Along with the typical new story, new maps, etc., here are a list of features I do hope to include:
  • A new fast-travel system to replace FLY. More of a taxi service, to make travelling mandatory in-game.
  • Rest by bodies of freshwater to rejuvenate your Pokemon on those huge journeys through the wilderness!
  • Not all Pokemon are catch-able in game. Approximately 147 are.
  • Rewards, such as HMs/the ability to use HMs are earned via doing quests, not gyms.
  • Play as Mark and Leola in memory sequences you gain through side-quests--see what their world was like!
  • Four installments to the hack, one for each season with a different plot, based on the central plot.
Typical Features:
  • New maps, story, region
  • Eevee starter
  • No trades needed for evolution

[a id]media[/a id]

Media

XHjU9YX.png
G780RKO.png
vMq5JSg.png
x20M04f.png
tuXA5Uw.png
8YlZOkx.png
7cxH5KS.png
MGi4ZDh.png
q6Ex6Ap.png
sXZs7Te.png
9IsMqTN.png
QR8TaS2.png

FRitfhC.png
4dr28b0.png
aS2kxlA.png

EVwajpj.png
Epcntnq.png
1BeM5fm.png

yjmtxAD.png
LDkx1fu.png
X5WtIKC.png

BmZsjmN.png
TTDdbra.png
x1B7pqT.png

QqBUhpM.png
uDT5woH.png
TtXJwS1.png

[a id]bugs[/a id]

Bugs Glitches and Oddities

• Still need to finish Oak's introduction.

[a id]team[/a id]

The Team

• Winter Wonderland - Mapping, scripting, nit-pick things.
  • Full Metal - Anything I can't figure out. Go-to guy.
  • Teh Blazer - Scripting, graphics insertions, mapping on-call.
  • JNathan - CSS
  • Omega Zero - Scripting
  • Flandre Scarlet - World Map, Music, Graphics, Mapping
  • Shiny Quagsire - ASM
  • ep!c - ASM

[a id]credits[/a id]

Credits

• Game Freak
  • Diegoisawesome

[a id]questions[/a id]

Questions You Should Not Ask

• When is the hack coming out? We will release the hack when and if it's ready. We do not want to rush things as it could compromise the quality.
  • Can I be a beta tester? Everyone who posts on this thread is eligible to be a beta tester. However, if you ask, you then forfeit your opportunity to be one.
  • Can I help with this hack? If you think you can bring something beneficial to this hack, then you may apply here.
  • Will you include Pokémon from IV/V/VI generations? I will not.
  • What about Fakémon? Still no.

[a id]download[/a id]

Download

[a id]Support[/a id]

Support

Want to support The Leola Project? Have a banner!

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/306/2/1/leola_proj__by_agous-d6spjmx.png[/IMG][/URL]

E5vEUed.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/E5vEUed.png[/IMG][/URL]

gGGMGD1.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gGGMGD1.png[/IMG][/URL]

leola_proj__ii_by_agous-d6tdq2v.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/311/5/3/leola_proj__ii_by_agous-d6tdq2v.png[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks to Countryemo and Agous for this banner!

[a id]closing[/a id]

Closing Notes

Well, we've made it to the first beta. Leave your comments and criticism below. It's a pleasure to work with all of you.

Enjoy.

[ Top ]

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
This looks really good so far! Are you planning on changing the tilesets/OWs?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I've currently been making a tileset for my ROM. The tileset is just for the outside world, So I only changed tileset0 right now. You can go to my ROM page and check it out and if you like it, I will send you just parts of the tileset that I used.

Winter Wonderland

Years
This look nicely done and can't wait until you put out a beta. I like how everything arranged too.

Arranged? How do you mean? Thanks for your compliment, and we are steadily working on a playable product.

I've currently been making a tileset for my ROM. The tileset is just for the outside world, So I only changed tileset0 right now. You can go to my ROM page and check it out and if you like it, I will send you just parts of the tileset that I used.

I will certainly check that out. And yeah, Tileset 0 is my main concern. Also a secondary outdoor tileset that would serve as a snow outdoor set.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Holy... that story though. O_O

I read that twice, and hold up Ima go read it again.

WOW GIRL. I will play the hell out of this for the story alone. Simply wonderful. <3 I'll post a more in-depth critique when there's more material to work with, though. Good luck, and may the odds be forever in your favor.

Semyaza

Lurker Extraordinaire
Years
Hmm. This hack looks promising. I will be keeping an eye on it for further updates and developments, as I am sure you and your team won't disappoint.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
*Nerd voice* So when is it coming out hurrhurrhurr.
I have to say that for the first hack i've checked in a while this is nice. I like the lore behind it as well as the fact that it doesn't give much away. Needless to say I am excite.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Undoubtedly, this is possibly one of the best storyline I have ever read. Your mapping seems to work with the FireRed tiles beautifully, and I wouldn't have minded it if you were sticking to using the Fr tileset. Some tilesets that have impressed me are the Calis Projects tiles (although they are beginning to get overused) and the Dawn tileset. Good Luck!

Winter Wonderland

Years
Hmm. This hack looks promising. I will be keeping an eye on it for further updates and developments, as I am sure you and your team won't disappoint.

Stay tuned, updates to come soon.

*Nerd voice* So when is it coming out hurrhurrhurr.
I have to say that for the first hack i've checked in a while this is nice. I like the lore behind it as well as the fact that it doesn't give much away. Needless to say I am excite.

Thank you, that's what I was aiming for. I noticed all too much that when a ROM hack thread posts their story, it's not much of an introduction to their hack, it's more-or-less a guideline of what you'll be doing. Spoilers everywhere! That's no fun. So, I decided to read the back of books and games, and stuff. I realized the best method--in my opinion--to go about it is to set up a prologue: something that the potential players can read and say "Oh man... I gotta know more."

Thanks for noticing. :)

Undoubtedly, this is possibly one of the best storyline I have ever read. Your mapping seems to work with the FireRed tiles beautifully, and I wouldn't have minded it if you were sticking to using the Fr tileset. Some tilesets that have impressed me are the Calis Projects tiles (although they are beginning to get overused) and the Dawn tileset. Good Luck!

Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

No worries about changing the tiles, it's pretty unlikely it'll happen. If you ask my team members, I'm pretty persnickety about what goes into this hack/series/installments/whatever you want to call it. So, in order for me to even put in some new tiles, it'd have to be some amazing tiles, and literally every detail had to be taken care of before they went in. All tiles to match new buildings/they have to match in style, combine nicely with palette; all the animations must be available, the OWs has to be able to match with the style of the tiles in order to blend well, then I'd need trainer sprites for all of the replaced OW's including back ones for the main character.

It's a lot to get into, but I try to be somewhat thorough.

However, I was toying with the idea of that being the general prologue, and having a prologue to each season, as I intended each season as separate ROM hacks, combined into one thread.

Thoughts on this?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I like it. Although a lot of people have Eevee as the starter, I still like it. Do you have a spupport banner? I would gladly put it in my signature!

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I must say this certainly looks promising.

And that story... wow. I like what you're doing here.

Winter Wonderland

Years
I must say this certainly looks promising.

And that story... wow. I like what you're doing here.

Thank you. I appreciate your compliments. This game, if all goes well, will have a lot more to it than just the legendary trainers. I have a lot planned and written out to make this game one truly worthy of being released. Stay tuned! There's going to be a lot to look forward to.

Back