• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Dragon - Tsutaja (Final)
Boar - Pokabu (Final)
Samurai - Mijumaru (Final)

Quote me, On this.
I surely will! It's going into my sig once I'm done submitting this. :laugh:

I think I might have to disagree w/ you on Miju's final though.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Why? Mijumaru was shown moving around like a samurai in a best wishes preview and it's evolution has similar Samurai clothing.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Because another guy was talking about Miju in the fake pokemon thread, and he brought up a good point w/ how Miju's final is based off of a large otter in South America. I'll hunt the post down.
I mean maybe it does have samurai influences, but that's not what I originally saw in it.
Edit, went back and found it:
Spoiler:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Because another guy was talking about Miju in the fake pokemon thread, and he brought up a good point w/ how Miju's final is based off of a large otter in South America. I'll hunt the post down.
I mean maybe it does have samurai influences, but that's not what I originally saw in it.
Edit, went back and found it:
Spoiler:
It can be a mix of Both not only one of them.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
The grass starter is total win. AND I LOVE THE FINAL EVO!!!! I just wish the middle evo could be..... more like the final evo and more different to the first evo. It just looks too similar to the first evo, and the third, though has it's physical features, doesn't look like the middle evo evolves into it. It seems like a pokemon belongs between middle evo and forth evo. Confuse anyone?

EDIT: The water type starter's final evo may be a giant otter, most likely, but it doesn't really look like one. It may be a fusion of different animals too. Look at it's horn!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Re: Mijumaru's evo - who saw that coming?! What a shock. Honestly. It looks like a cross between Salamence and Dialga, and I really like it.

I'm so disappointed in Pokabu's evolution though. It could have been so, SO much better. I mean, it's not awful - although the middle evolution truly is - but it's just a real wasted opportunity. Tsutaja's evo is ok, but nothing special. I'm just frustrated because in Generation IV the Fire starter was my least favourite (based on final evolutions) and I was hoping for a better one this time seeing as Fire is my favourite type.

And what's with all those yellowy squiggles on Pokabu's evolutions? They're exactly the same as Infernape's wrist and knee guards, and they were pretty much the exact reason I didn't like Infernape's design.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2015
Re: Mijumaru's evo - who saw that coming?! What a shock. Honestly. It looks like a cross between Salamence and Dialga, and I really like it.

I'm so disappointed in Pokabu's evolution though. It could have been so, SO much better. I mean, it's not awful - although the middle evolution truly is - but it's just a real wasted opportunity. Tsutaja's evo is ok, but nothing special. I'm just frustrated because in Generation IV the Fire starter was my least favourite (based on final evolutions) and I was hoping for a better one this time seeing as Fire is my favourite type.

And what's with all those yellowy squiggles on Pokabu's evolutions? They're exactly the same as Infernape's wrist and knee guards, and they were pretty much the exact reason I didn't like Infernape's design.

i agree fire beginners after gen3, are complete fail.

i love the grass starters final evo, im hoping the predicted type is true (grass/dragon)

and the water beginner, i think the colours on it are HORRIBLE, it has such potentional... yet the colours just ruin it for me, it looks like an over complicated lapras evo wanna be IMO

i just hope the types i heard were true:
grass/dragon
fire/dark
water/fighting

if theres another fire/fighting ill blow my top, its a horrible type combo, its already be used twice, first on Blaziken (pure win) then on that worthless Blaziken rip off infernape, we need something new, or at least something different, hell i dont care if its pure fire, just DONT put fighting again.

grass dragon fits, if its poison... just no, please no.
pure grass, grass/dragon, grass/ice (yes its random) just not poison,or ground.

the water beginner needs to be water/fighting, water/rock, or just pure water

if their really gonna make this a kanto redo, they should make the it grass/dragon, pure fire, and water/fighting IMO
that way the fire beginner isnt worthless, just hideous, and the other 2 are more unique,& interesting to use.

I am so glad that finally made the fire starter bulky. For the past 4 generations the fire starter has been the fastest type out of the 3. But after I saw Mijumarus final evo I was pretty socked. That thing looks pretty beast, but for my choice as a starter I have to pick Tsutaja. I have a thing for the grass starters :]

thats not entirely true

Treecko was fastest in gen3.

and now Tsutarja is fastest in gen5, so it seems any reptilian grass type is the fastest :D

turtles& dinos dont count in my eyes :P

Last edited:

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
my guesses for starter types:
Tsutarja= grass, grass/poison, grass/ground
Pokabu= fire, fire/ground
Mijumaru= water, water/fighting, water/ice

King Gumball

Years

I just think the water starter's middle evo is the most completely fail starter I have ever seen in my life. It is so darn ugly!! The final evo though is pretty good the only problem is that it doesn't have any noticeable physical characteristics that resemble Mijimaru (I think I spelled it wrong) other than it's colour.

I think its typing will be Water/Ice. The horn could be used to break through Ice maybe.

Grass starter- Grass and dragon or Grass and Poison. It is a little hard to tell.

The Fire starter- Fire and Fighting or Fire and Dark. Most likely maybe Fire and Dark because of it's black colouring.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
my guesses for starter types:
Tsutarja= grass, grass/poison, grass/ground
Pokabu= fire, fire/ground
Mijumaru= water, water/fighting, water/ice
Yeah I agree. But water fighting or water rock imo because that giant thing on its head could be used to crush rocks, and the padding for protection.

MrCheeseQuack

Dark, Steel, Flying.
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2011
Ugh, I really wasn't too keen on Mijimaru (yeah, I know I can't spell) but it's grown on me and I have to say I like its evolutions. The other two I liked at the start, but on Pokabu's evolutions I just shan't comment.Tsutaja = amazing. Gotta pick that snake.

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
Years
i think there all fail. they started with sexy designs, and great potential, then just didnt stick the landing. but i guess ill go with smugleaf then ditch em for something not so fail

King Gumball

Years
i think there all fail. they started with sexy designs, and great potential, then just didnt stick the landing. but i guess ill go with smugleaf then ditch em for something not so fail

Tsutarja's final evo is the sexiest yet!! But I kind of agree with you on all the other starter's. They just aren't like the first 4 gens.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
...the starter evolutions still aren't confirmed officially yet, so there's still a chance they'll change, and if they're fake, you'll probably have a different choice on starters then. :)

Years
I must say I'm not completely convinced the starter evo's are real. Especially the third stage. I mean, they just don't look like the traditional Pokémon. I have seen some fan sprites of Mijamaru evo and Grass-snake-evo, and they looked fine then. However, the Gigasnake and Fourleggednarwhalething are just plain ugly.

And if they are official designs, maybe it's only bèta art, and they changed appearance drastically (I hope!) in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back