• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm not anticipating the Oscars all that much, though since Lincoln has, if I recall, thirteen nominations, I'm somewhat eager to see where the ball falls in its court.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I haven't even seen Lincoln yet, but I heard it was really good, and I want to.

As for the Oscars, I'd like to be around for them, but I'll be at work when they air, and then probably too tired to watch them after my shift. Then they'll sit on the DVR for a few days until someone else deletes them, and I'll just read about them on the internet. 8|

Years
Oh, I just remembered that Seth Macfarlane is hosting the Oscars this year. That makes me want to watch them even less. I don't like that guy's face.

Instead, tonight I'm having a movie-watching party. Already watched Barbarella, which is like the whole of the late 60s distilled into 100 minutes.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
To anyone who watched the Oscars, remember Michelle Obama's satellite appearance in which she announce the winner for Best Film? And perhaps the controversy that ensued?

CHICAGO (AP) — Michelle Obama says it was "absolutely not surprising" to her that her satellite appearance at the Academy Awards ceremony provoked a national conversation about whether it was appropriate, after some conservative critics accused her of selfishly crashing the event in an attempt to upstage it. She attributed the chatter to a culture shift that has spawned legions of bloggers, tweeters and others who talk about anything and everything all the time.
"Shoot, my bangs set off a national conversation. My shoes can set off a national conversation. That's just sort of where we are. We've got a lot of talking going on," the first lady said only somewhat jokingly Thursday before an appearance in Chicago, her hometown. "It's like everybody's kitchen-table conversation is now accessible to everybody else so there's a national conversation about anything."
source

Thoughts on this? Personally I agree with Mrs. Obama on the issue - social media and the need to feel important and respected on the internet by sparking controversy over otherwise trivial issues is starting to dominate our world, even to the point where not physically showing up for an awards show is something worthy of starting a world war over.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I really didn't see any issue with her presenting Best Picture. I think the reaction people are giving is a little over the top. So she presented an award via satellite. I severely doubt she was intentionally trying to upstage the entire event.

Years
MO is a fashion icon. Shouldn't that be enough to warrant her participation in an event like this? People just want an excuse to complain.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Oh my lordy, who cares? There's been precedent for White House involvement in the Oscars, so this isn't even a new thing. (I believe the Reagans did something similar in the 80s, which makes sense given that they both were actors before he became the President and she the First Lady.) Storm in a teacup/mountain out of a molehill, if you ask me.

I just want to talk about how bland the actual awards were. I didn't end up watching them as I couldn't get a good stream in Morocco, but the liveblogs that I ended up reading filled me in on most of the deets. Still, there was a tie! That's only happened, like, 4 times previously, so that was cool. And DDL's speech was cool (but he always gives great speeches). But, that's about it, in all honesty. Bring on the 2014 ones in just under 12 months time!

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
There were some memorable speeches that night (I thought Curfew's Shawn Christensen gave a heartfelt speech, and DDL was of course great), and then some bad ones (the visual effects speech, which was cut off by the Jaws theme, for example). It was a dull night. I thoroughly enjoyed the intro, but McFarlane's jokes were mostly hit-and-miss. He did okay hosting I guess. I admit I was a bit taken aback by the Michelle Obama appearance (I remember saying to myself, "That's the surprise presenter?!"), but I didn't mind it.

There were really no surprises, to be honest, besides that tie.

So, any films you guys are looking forward to being released this year? I can't wait for Pacific Rim and Linklater's Before Midnight, but I'm particularly excited about Ain't Them Bodies Saints. Rooney Mara has a big year ahead of her, and I'm interested in what she'll bring to the table as an actress after her Dragon Tattoo turn, but I'm admittedly a huge Casey Affleck fan and I really cannot wait for his performance here. Malick has a film or two pegged for this year too, but I can't say I'm excited for either.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Any films? ANY FILMS? That sir, is an understatement. Sure tastes vary but this year is drool inducing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_film
Sure most of the big releases are sequels, but what sequels man. Insidious Chapter 2, Sin City: A Dame to Die For, Fast and Furious 6, Hangover 3, e.t.c Not to mention comic book wise we got Thor, Wolverine, Ironman, and Superman all in one year, so many guilty pleasures like After Earth Percy Jackson and the Hunger Games, and a decent amount of new films to whet any fan of cinema's appetite.

Also good news everyone, Jim Carrey's in for Dumb and Dumber To.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The internet has become my TV in recent years. It's actually kinda sad how little British TV I watch; most of it is just made up of US TV, which routinely wipes the floor with British stuff. But a lot of the really good shows that have aired recently have just ended or are ending (Bunheads, Girls, Enlightened). The TV landscape seems really tumbleweedy at the moment, unfortunately.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
The Good Wife is really good this season! So is Revenge... but those are the only two shows that I watch that are airing here at the moment. Grey's Anatomy is still on hiatus for some reason even I can't explain... it should have been back in early February.

Years
The Good Wife is really good this season! So is Revenge... but those are the only two shows that I watch that are airing here at the moment. Grey's Anatomy is still on hiatus for some reason even I can't explain... it should have been back in early February.
Revenge! I see the ads for that whenever I watch Once Upon A Time. It looks so... cheeseballtastic. xD Once is also pretty good, but I think half of the reason is because I watch it with people who are really into it and it spills out. They've done some dumb things with the show (Belle in these last several episodes), and some characters (like Aurora and Mulan they belong together) seem to have been written out. It doesn't make the show unwatchable, but it still bugs me.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Wow, you guys speaking of those television shows, specifically Revenge and The Good Wife, is making me realize how little television I watch in general, and what I do watch is limited to one or two shows on one or two different channels, and they're typically older shows or recycled episodes of currently-running shows. I mean, really, all I really watch weekly is Grey's Anatomy (and that just started recently!), Cougar Town, and maybe Justified. I can't seem to catch the shows that has everybody hooked, such as Duck Dynasty or The Walking Dead, so I gave up on those. :/

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
how is my favorite hangout thread doing
surely you haven't forgotten about me just yet
your almighty blast from the past

I haven't been watching much recent television as of late, nothing really encapsulates my attention nowadays, I enjoy Revenge, but that hasn't been able to grab hold of my heart and mind just yet!!! Lately, I've been powering through Will & Grace (all eight seasons, fabulous show) and classic seasons of The Simpsons. Bloody hell, I forgot how great a character Mr Burns is in the earlier seasons, and Ned was more than just a Christian!!! Crazy!!!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Oh wait, Bob's Burgers is still on. Everyone should watch that! It's the closest descendant to The Simpsons that is actually good. It's much zanier than the previous show, but it does bear an awful lot of similarities!

(Pssssssst, David! Methinks it's time to change the thread title! :D)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Oh wait, Bob's Burgers is still on. Everyone should watch that! It's the closest descendant to The Simpsons that is actually good. It's much zanier than the previous show, but it does bear an awful lot of similarities!
OHMYGOD! I don't necessarily watch Bob's Burgers that much, but I've seen an episode of it and what I saw was rather amusing. I should try to watch that again somewhere sometime because now that you mention it, it's going to run through my mind until I do. That also reminds me of a hilarious gif I found on tumblr the other day.

eXymeB8.gif

So simple yet so dryly humorous. XD

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
so what does the 20/20 experience mean exactly
is there some reference i'm not picking up????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back