• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Cynthia or Lance?

Lance or Cynthia?

• Lance!

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Cynthia!

Votes: 69 63.3%
  • I like both equally!

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • I dislike them both!

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I prefer Cynthia over Lance. Lance was quite easy to beat, Cynthia was more of a challenge.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2013
Thu, I am not going by my favorite lance I'm just going whose the better trainer some people say that garchomp would beat dragonite which so untrue. In anime and in the games dragonite hands down. Dragonites speed is only slower because they had to fit dragonites stats to equal 600 people don't understand dragonites ability to expand his wings to increase its speed. Plus, all the variety of moves it can learn ice beam even ice punch with dragonites attack would one hit garchomp. Also you can't compare these newer pokemon to the older ones anyways because there completely overpowered. Internals for example I'm huge fan of it but how is it that a monkey is faster than charizard base stats are for the games leave it at that the anime is1000% different.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I remember back in September I preferred Cynthia over Lance but honestly I actually like them both equally.

I don't mind that Lance's team isn't unique, it is actually challenging. In fact I found him more difficult rather than Cynthia, you see when I played Heartgold, I pretty much only had one Pokemon on my team that could do at least some damage towards Lance's Dragonite. The first time I battled him, I had absolutely no clue why people whinged over Lance, I used to think to myself that they were over exaggerating his strength to make newer players feel a bit nervous. Now I can see how wrong I was. :B

He was a nightmare. One of the worst and most difficult champions I've faced and I've faced four of them I think along with Red. I was really relieved when after fifteen minutes or so of me using countless electric moves (I had no ice,dragon or rock moves. :P) the Dragonite was finally taken down and I did a fist pump until I saw this text. Champion Lance is about to send in Dragonite, will you switch Pokemon?

I can't even express my feeling at that moment. I think I went berserk, thought this was it. Never playing another Pokemon game again. But I thought it was alright to give a go and after another few minutes of battling I'd won. It was a frustrating battle but looking back on it one of the most amazing I'd ever seen. <3

I love playing against Lance for this reason, for him to give me a challenge. I didn't care he had three of the same Pokemon, he's still one of my favourites even despite that ordeal. :B

And then there was Cynthia. I think back in 2009 when I was a newcomer to Pokemon, I remember my first battle with her. It took me about fifteen tries to beat her down I swear. I was eight so I guess that was understandable. :P

But I still loved her design and I liked all of the unique Pokemon she chose, there were some interesting varieties and the all ranges of types always had me guessing on what she would do next. I liked some of her strategies and she did prove a tough opponent.

All in all even though I usually find tough battles frustrating, I really liked these two champions. <3

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
Well...
To be honest I like them both, with Lance's team being too easy to beat makes it really fun ( at sometimes..).
And Cynthia's hard to beat team is fun too.
But seriously Cynthia's a monster, it took me countless attempts to beat her,
of course I still had my cool at that time. I beat her in Diamond.
And lance, I only used Jolteon and Piloswine, but the rematch...
I didn't find it easy to be honest.
So that's why I like both.

Years
Apparently I already voted in the poll but forgot to post a reply, whoops. D:

Love Lance but Cynthia takes the cake. Her design is absolutely beautiful and her battle theme pretty much tops any Pokemon music we've ever heard in my opinion!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Cynthia has the better team, and I find her to be the hardest Champion of all, however I'm going to vote for Lance. I like his character much more than Cynthia's. She kind of makes you her errand runner in DPPt and that's a bit annoying imo. Making you take things to her grandmother...pssh! Go see your grandmother, girl!

Lance does his own stuff. Sure, he asks for your help, but he actually does something by helping get the password in the Rocket Hideout and then taking out the other half of the Electrode, and you get to team up with him in a battle in there. Plus his design just exudes Champion status. Not that Cynthia's doesn't or anything, but I think his says it more. It's just so regal, and matches his type. And he's really friggin' difficult in the second round fight in HGSS omg.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
Years
  • Age 34
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 19, 2020
I've always been a huge fan of Lance, I remember my original play through of Gold version as kid and when you help Lance defeat team rocket by rage lake I just thought that was epic.

However Cynthia was much harder to defeat, and plays a larger role in the series.

B-L-A-Z-E

リズ
Years
Nothing against Lance but, I really like Cynthia. She has diversity on her team which I think all champions should have and of course I like her design better. I do think Lance has a better battle theme though.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I am sorry to Cynthia fans but I think she is over rated
Lance did a lot more he was champion,helped a lake of rage...helped silver see the light.

yeah so Lance

K1ngQu33n

Poke K1ng
Years
I am sorry to Cynthia fans but I think she is over rated
Lance did a lot more he was champion,helped a lake of rage...helped silver see the light.

yeah so Lance

I agree with you. The only thing Cynthia did was give you the special medicine for the Psyducks.
Lance helped you get through the whole Team Rocket base.

Years
i love lance the most for the sole reason that he orders his dragonite to use hyper Beam on a person in the 2nd gen games.

well i really just like him the bes, in my opinion he looks and acts really cool and to me he looks like a champion with the cape and the crazy hair, he is pretty awesome in the anime too, but Cynthia is awesome too, shes got looks and skill and all that, but she is just not up there with lance.

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2013
Cynthia, she has a variety of types which is a challenge and her strategies in-game are good. Lance, focuses on dragon types, it was easy to beat him in HG/SS johto and kanto matches.

In the anime, Cynthia is a good champion becuase she hasn't been beat. She took out Paul with only Garchomp and she is also into her battling. Cynthia even went to Unova and she is seen in many episodes. Lance, his only real appearance was when Ash beat him in the Orange League. Lance relies on Dragonite too much in the anime.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I prefer Cynthia for her more diverse team, personality, sense of style, and the fact that she has probably been the most challenging Champion to beat. This doesn't mean I don't like Lance though. He did do more in HG/SS to help protect the region against Team Rocket than Cynthia did in DPPt. They both scream Champion material, but if it came head to head between the two, I think Cynthia would come out the victor.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
cynthia because she actually had more of a variety in her team and most of her pokemon were very rare (im looking at you spiritomb;)) on the other hand although i liked lance too he just felt like a usual dragon spamming amateur (3 dragonites wtf?) and his pokemon just SEEMED powerful. really i think he was the easiest champion i've challenged so far. also i had a really hard time against cynthia in my pearl version (but that was probably because i only had torterra and palkia as my only strong pokemon :P) so i'd say cynthia hands down.

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
Years
Cynthia. I like them both, but as cool as mono-teams are, they just don't stand up to common teams. Plus, Cynthia had many more memorable quotes and had more of a role in her game.

Cossolotto32

Pokemon Collector!
Years
Lance is a baddaassss!! He's tight, and really tight for raising THREE Dragonite, that takes some work, huh?

Back