• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can you improve Ash/Satoshi?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Ash would be a decent character and good role model for children if they hired writers that passed fifth grade level writing. Honestly it's not that hard, I bet some people from fanfiction sites can write better and they aren't so called "professionals" that the anime staff supposedly is. And the anime is severely restrained by its transparent goal of advertising the franchise first, and everything else like story, arcs, characters being not as important. Every work of fiction has the potential to be good in my opinion, if the writers have the skill and are passionate about it which obviously the anime staff doesn't have.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Tbh, if I was in the same position as the show's writing staff and production team, I can't say that I'd change this since it's obviously paid off well for them and their wallets.

I'm not too sure about that... Maybe back in Kanto or Johto where it did have pretty high ratings, I'd agree, but after its huge ratings plummet starting with AG, and made worse from BW onward, they're more likely to LOSE money on the anime than actually gain money.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Are you actually suggesting that the anime isn't profitable? Because while I obviously don't have the show's earning reports in my hand, I'm 99.999999% confident that every saga up till now (even after the ratings decline) has made tons of cash, otherwise we wouldn't even have a Pokemon anime on the air right now.

I mean, my entire point was that even though the anime is flawed, it's still sustaining itself even while being a disappointment, which is why I personally wouldn't make any big hypothetical changes if I were in charge.

When it has a massive ratings decline, it means it LOST money, not gained money. I mean, yeah, sure, it made them tons of money. But then again, so did the Disney DTV sequels for Disney, yet no one can deny that those movies helped bring about the dork age for Disney in the 2000s and led directly to Eisner's ouster among other things. Besides, I can name plenty of shows that got cancelled precisely BECAUSE of a loss of ratings, such as Maureen, West Wing, Heroes, heck, even Bleach (and bear in mind, that last example was a Japanese anime).

And who says the anime was the cause of profits? Last I checked, the Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, and Sonic games are still profitable despite the DiC cartoon adaptations being cancelled long ago.

Years
Hopefully there will NEVER be a repeat of his battle with Elesa. Even by Ash standards, that was embarrassingly atrocious. Five regions in, he should know that bringing one Pokemon to a gym battle is never a good strategy.

Sure, Palpitoad's type is an advantage, but what happens when that advantage is lost? Makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
This isn't aimed at you personally, but I do recall reading the Nimbasa Gym battle threads back in 2011 on BMGf and Sppf and seeing so much hate toward Ash because of his choice to use Palpitoad. I mean sure, him wanting to rely on it solely was silly, yet many of the same fans who criticized him for using game logic were the same ones who whined whenever he would ignore type advantages in previous matches.

Maybe, but at least back in those instances, he was smart enough to use a backup strategy.

Years
This isn't aimed at you personally, but I do recall reading the Nimbasa Gym battle threads back in 2011 on BMGf and Sppf and seeing so much hate toward Ash because of his choice to use Palpitoad. I mean sure, him wanting to rely on it solely was silly, yet many of the same fans who criticized him for using game logic were the same ones who whined whenever he would ignore type advantages in previous matches.

I'm aware that having the type advantage isn't always a guaranteed victory. The perfect example was using Heracross against Tobias and his Darkrai back in DP. I mean, Heracross (Bug/Fight) is the best possible matchup with Darkrai being dark type and all.

In this case, the problem isn't using Palpitoad. It's using ONLY Palpitoad. Surprised Elesa let that one slide.

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
Years
1)Make Ash ketchum stronger, he was good in running/jumping in trees like the scene with Iris, but in alola he seemed weaker...

2) Make him the next league winner to go against Champion/elite four etc and let him win for once a big league (not like the drake cup) so that he can surprise the next buddy traveler that he is the champion. (I wanted him to surprise lillie of being one of the best in previous season but he didn't mention it i think...)

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
2) Make him the next league winner to go against Champion/elite four etc and let him win for once a big league (not like the drake cup)

You know that if he does that, the anime would end right?

simone1234

Years
You know that if he does that, the anime would end right?

But he won the Drake thing(even though it was not a big league) and yet he continued his adventure, in each season its like people in the anime are forgetting what ash did

(only a few mentioned asked something about best 16 or something to ash)

If Ash wins he can still go to another far away place with a plane to where people don't know him, right?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
But he won the Drake thing(even though it was not a big league) and yet he continued his adventure, in each season its like people in the anime are forgetting what ash did

Oh god i geuss you're right

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

(only a few mentioned asked something about best 16 or something to ash)

If Ash wins he can still go to another far away place with a plane to where people don't know him, right?

Yeah, and besides, even if he does win the league, DP established that he needs to fight the region's Elite 4 before he can either get the title of World's Greatest Pokémon Master, or at least get another step forward to that goal.

Quite frankly, I was irritated that Hidaka said that it would be the end of the show. Makes me think he didn't even bother to pay attention to the Orange Islands. Doesn't help either that Ash won against the Battle Frontier Brains, who were strongly implied if not stated by Scott to be as strong as an Elite 4 Member bare minimum, yet still continued his journey.

EDIT: Just remembered something else: He really needs to actually meet Ho-Oh and have his connection to it actually explained more, especially when they never covered Ho-Oh, or Ash's connection to it since the beginning of DP (and no, Movie 20 doesn't count, as it's an AU film).

Last edited:

simone1234

Years
I wonder if maybe Ash will remain forever until they don't have no more ideas of new pokemon to create , cause pokemon master does sound like "king of pokemon" and after that the end of the video games of pokemon. ( Like one piece king of pirates =end)

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I wonder if maybe Ash will remain forever until they don't have no more ideas of new pokemon to create , cause pokemon master does sound like "king of pokemon" and after that the end of the video games of pokemon. ( Like one piece king of pirates =end)

Honestly, the utter lack of a concrete definition to Ash's goal is one of the reasons I'm very irritated with the anime right now. For goodness sakes, the female characters, yes, even including Misty, had far more defined goals than Ash did. Heck, even Brock had more of a defined goal than Ash did. If you're going to bother having Ash do a goal for who knows how long, at least define it to such an extent that there's an actual concrete endpoint, which is the entire POINT of having a goal.

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
By scrapping him completely and running each series with the main canon protag

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
By scrapping him completely and running each series with the main canon protag

Fine, but they really should make sure he at least succeeds in his goal before they scrap him completely (or at the very least have him change his goal to a more reasonable one, like what Gary and Brock did). I'd hate to see him be forced out without even accomplishing his goal. I hated seeing that happen to Misty, I sure as heck wouldn't want to see that happen to Ash.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The Orange League win wasn't even a major accomplishment compared to the other Leagues, so I can see why Ash's win there had almost no fanfare. But it was implied ten years ago in a staff interview that Ash winning an actual [relevant] League won't happen till around the end of the series.

Well, considering that Ash got runner up at Kalos in one of the show's more controversial moves, I'd say they're pretty close to the end of the series as it is. Besides, they'd still need to have Ash challenge the Elite 4 before he's even close to achieving his goal per what DP stated.

In any case, regardless of whether the Orange League is major or not, the Battle Frontier most certainly was pretty major of an accomplishment (It'd have to be considering the Frontier Brains were indicated by Scott and Agatha to at the very LEAST be as strong as an Elite 4 member), yet they treated that as a joke afterward.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years

Technically I guess he could, but if his journey will continue regardless of him winning or losing then I don't see what the point of him winning would be other than his fans living vicariously through his victory.

simone1234

Years
Technically I guess he could, but if his journey will continue regardless of him winning or losing then I don't see what the point of him winning would be other than his fans living vicariously through his victory.

For example if he wins the next league they could invite him for next season to join something new similiar to battle frontier but where only Champions are allowed to battle with some unique trainers, and if he wins against them all, he can journey back to old places in new season, then he can retry other old leagues in which he lost and see if he became better or to lose again and then get better in next season etc, and the last season he could try a new league where only chosen trainers are allowed '' who collected some number of gym badges'' and if he wins all he has to battle the strongest trainer up til now (not champion but something similiar ) and after that he will think on what to do next while going back home, but then some kind of unique new pokemon appears who asks him to go to the next region and tells him that on the next one is the place where his dream might come true if he wins the league there.

But if he lose then he has to train more and continue his journey till he can one day fight again vs the strongest league.

And if he wins the strongest pokemon/leader of all pokemon will kneel before him and use telepathy to tell him he is the pokemon king/master etc and then all pokemon in the world will know that ash is the true master.

Last edited:
Back