• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I never had problems using PCLinuxOS on my laptops and desktops. It's a pretty solid Linux OS. :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I think your life would be easier if you had picked an operating system that works well with the hardware in question. Linux and NVIDIA Optimus tend to not be the best partners around. If you have NVIDIA Optimus, it's best to stick to running Windows, and leave Linux and other OSes on a VM.

NVIDIA is at fault here, though - I do remember Linus Torvalds being mad at them, even dropping the f-bomb in an interview or something about NVIDIA Optimus.

I don't have much luck trying to install Linux distributions on my laptop, either. Either some weird thing doesn't work, it never gets registered in the bootloader, or the laptop display backlight is turned off by the OS during setup. I ended up relegating Linux to Hyper-V VMs (seeing as I'm running Windows 8 Pro right now).
Fortunately I can dualboot (Arch and Win7), so if something goes wrong I can boot my Win7. That's what I do at the moment until NVIDIA solves the issue. I also have a VM on my Windows partition with Gentoo on it. I've been thinking for a while, if I should buy a desktop pc next time. I think I'd rather install Gentoo on it, even though it would be a really hard thing to do (at least harder than Arch). On the other hand there's Steam and all the stuff I bought, so I guess it will always be a dualboot system for me (even though Win8 seems to be not as good as Win7, at least that's what I've heard).

I like Win7 but sometimes I wish it would be as easy to use as Linux... using a Windows UI takes so long and annoys me really easy xD

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Nothing wrong with dual booting Linux and Windows. Worst thing that happened to me when dual booting was installing the grub bootloader which looked ugly and it complicated things when it came to getting rid of my ubuntu intallation.
Now if I ever want to install a liniux distro I use EasyBCD to make a entry in the windows bootooader so it makes it easy to get rid of the linux install if I want ot get rid of it.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Fortunately I can dualboot (Arch and Win7), so if something goes wrong I can boot my Win7. That's what I do at the moment until NVIDIA solves the issue. I also have a VM on my Windows partition with Gentoo on it. I've been thinking for a while, if I should buy a desktop pc next time. I think I'd rather install Gentoo on it, even though it would be a really hard thing to do (at least harder than Arch). On the other hand there's Steam and all the stuff I bought, so I guess it will always be a dualboot system for me (even though Win8 seems to be not as good as Win7, at least that's what I've heard).

I like Win7 but sometimes I wish it would be as easy to use as Linux... using a Windows UI takes so long and annoys me really easy xD

Windows 8.1? Wait for that. (You might want to get an upgrade copy of Windows 8 right now and upgrade your Windows 7 installation, since it'll be easily to keep everything all the way to 8.1 that way, though you'll probably lose access to the Linux installation.)

Heh, ease of use of user interfaces tend to vary wildly depending on what you started out. If you started computing with Windows, Windows' way of handling things would be... butter. Same for OS X and stuff like that.

I'm pretty fine with Windows and OS X. Most Linux distributions, though...

Years
I'm fine with Windows and OSX as well.. I started out with Windows 98 and from my kindergarten year to my 5th grade year, my school had Apple computers that ran Mac OS 9 and iMac G3s that ran Mac OS 9.2.

In my junior year of high school I got to use OSX 10.5 (Leopard) because my school had iMacs for video editing machines.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
NY wife mentioned getting rid of my six and a half year old custom built desktop last night. I grunted. I totally don't use it but I don't want to be rid of it ;;

Years
NY wife mentioned getting rid of my six and a half year old custom built desktop last night. I grunted. I totally don't use it but I don't want to be rid of it ;;
I would agree with you on that one.. it wouldn't hurt to keep it should whatever you use now fail, and it could possibly serve as a backup.

Years
I would've re-purposed it as a home server or something.
That's exactly what I did with my old desktop (before I got my new main deskto), was turn it into a server. I host files on it and I run a small IRC server off of it.

Anyways, speaking of IRC, does anyone out here still use IRC in any way?

Years
I would if I knew where to start. I want to be social but I don't even really want to make an effort.
You could start out by using a web client such as mibbit and find a server/channel you want to be in. If you decide you like IRC, then feel free to download an IRC client such as XChat or mIRC! :)

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I use IRC occasionally. I used to use it a ton but meh. And my desktop is running Linux and running a samba server is a pain in the ass and I usually just have it off :x Idk, I'll figure out something to do with it.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm attached to HexChat at this point (which is basically a build of XChat for Windows),

Years
I'm attached to HexChat at this point (which is basically a build of XChat for Windows),
HexChat is probably the best out there for free IRC clients, if you ask me. Their builds are typically always up-to-date from that of the older XChat 2 or even the regular XChat for Windows (which you have to pay for).

As for me, I do use mIRC because I have mIRC scripts that I use on occasion (in my IRC server only, not elsewhere), and I find it to be a program that is easy to customize its settings to your liking, but the only problem I have with it is that it isn't free.

I'm also usually always on IRC because I use an IRC bouncer known as ZNC, which can allow for me to disconnect from my client and save logs on whichever channel I ask for it to do so. I run my ZNC server locally here at my house as well.

Last edited:
Years
So I wound up today booting up my laptop for the first time in two weeks, and my new tablet is likely to blame for that.. does anyone else here use a tablet in place of a laptop? I find that while tablets are limited on what they can do, for me, I was just using my laptop to Skype and browse the internet, both of which I can do on my tablet.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I pretty much need mouse and keyboard, even though tablets seem kinda interesting especially if you want to draw something. But with a tablet pc I couldn't do all the stupid/crazy stuff I like to do on computers like yesterday I installed out of boredom a webserver on my local VM installation of Gentoo.

But I do own a external tablet which I can plug in whenever I want.

Years
Oh I was talking about tablets like the iPad or the Nexus 7, not drawing tablets haha

But I also used to run my own web server as well, but I had to kill it because it was consuming bandwidth on my network. I still run an IRC server, though, which isn't bad.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I wasn't talking about graphics tablets either. The only upside I can get out of tablets is using them as graphics tablets xD

I only hope that there will always be some "normal" computers to buy. I can't even imagine if someday all will be pcs with touch feature. Like I said I prefer mouse and keyboard. ^^

Years
I quite agree that mouse and keyboard is nice... Specially when it's a cf (canadian french) keyboard, it's multilanguage, smooth... And easy to use. :D I also like using a pad, and actually, I HATE touchscreens. xD

Also, about the irc chat and all, I think that TorChat is better, completly anonymous and encrypted chat. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back