• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: Creating New Battle Animations

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
no problem :D I stumbled across the knock-off animation when i created a dragon tail attack that should also disable the foes item and thought well knock off sure looks like a tail attack :)

EDIT.: If you want the star that shows the impact to be blue (for the more waterish feeling), go to the last 02 xx xx 3E in the knock off animation (and you entire animation) which should be the star marking the impact. Go to that position ( 3E xx xx ) and copy the animation data you find here (should start with yy 27 yy 27 ... 08) and is 24 bytes (1,5 lines) long to some place (i prefer the end of my animation) and then repoint the 02 xx xx 3E to that position. After that you just have to experiment and replace the second yy byte in your yy 27 yy 27 part (which is responsible for the colour) with another palette (as your bubbles start with 00 zz 27 or 00 zz 28 you can just copy that zz value and replace the second yy value with it) so you get the blue impact star. :)

As for the fangs try to leave out the bite part and start with the punch-animations again and just remove that 02 xx xx 3E part for the punch :) and i think you misunderstood the part about removing everthing between two 02 xx xx 3Es :o you just have to remove about 1 line and a little more so when you see a 05 or 04 14 or 19 one line lower this is normally where you have to stop deleting :)

I've just been making Aqua tail too, following your advice to use Knock-off. However I really can't find the end to knock off, i've been trimming it down to every 08 i could and either, the whole animation would play out and freeze OR after excess trimming it would freeze mid animation. Do you happen to know the last line of the data?

Edit: I'm 100% certain that the Knock Off goes from offset 1D4A0F and finishes at 1D4A9E, because there is a pointer to a new move at 1D4A9F. However even with all this copied and combined with Aqua Tail, the end of the move freezes. In the mean time I've used Slam and it works.

Last edited:

Bela

Banned
Years
Has anyone tried yet to compare Razor Leaf with Magical Leaf? I think using Magical Leaf's "rainbow" effect for moves like Draco Meteor would be cool. I took a look at this a while back, I'll post what I found later.

Last edited:
Years
I've just been making Aqua tail too, following your advice to use Knock-off. However I really can't find the end to knock off, i've been trimming it down to every 08 i could and either, the whole animation would play out and freeze OR after excess trimming it would freeze mid animation. Do you happen to know the last line of the data?

Edit: I'm 100% certain that the Knock Off goes from offset 1D4A0F and finishes at 1D4A9E, because there is a pointer to a new move at 1D4A9F. However even with all this copied and combined with Aqua Tail, the end of the move freezes. In the mean time I've used Slam and it works.

dude, here is my Aqua tail code:

Spoiler:

I created it few days ago, i'm not remember what is exactly i'm doing to fix the freezes though

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
Code:
00 xxxx
01 xxxx
02 08xxxxxx xx nn [0000 1111 2222 … nnnn]
03 08xxxxxx xx nn [0000 1111 2222 … nnnn]
04 xx
09 xxxx
0A xx
0B xx
0C xxxx
0D
0E 08xxxxxx
0F
10 xx xxxx
11 08aaaaaa 08bbbbbb
12 vv 08xxxxxx
13 08xxxxxx
14 xx
18 xx
19 xxxx xx
1A xx
1B ?
1C xxxx xx xx xx
1D xxxx xx xx
1E xxxx
1F 08xxxxxx nn [0000 1111 2222 … nnnn]
21 xx xxxx 08xxxxxx
22 xx
23 xx
24 xxxxxxxx
25 xx xx xx
26 ?
27 ?
28 xx
2A xx
2B xx
2C xx
2D xx
2E xx
2F
--END

the implementations of these commands can be found in the table at 083ADF5C

02: The "08xxxxxx" points to an object template.
0C: BLDCNT=0x3F40; BLDALPHA=x;
0D: BLDCNT=0; BLDALPHA=0;
0E: call (calls in calls are not supported)
0F: return
11: if(cond&1) goto b; else goto a;
12: if(cond==v) goto x;
13: goto x;
1E: BLDCNT=x

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Ok, so I'm trying to create a custom animation for zen headbutt and I tried using the charge animation (I tried the one in shock wave but didn't worked... :/) and headbutt animation...

The thing is I want the charge to be blue instead of yellow here is how it looks like:
Charge_zpsc64c7727.png
Headbutt_zps987595c3.png

And here's the code I used for the animation:
Spoiler:

So does anyone now how to edit the color of the charge animation? :3

MrDollSteak

Years
So i've found a rather interesting bug with one of my animations,
after implementing a new move animation into the new move slot,
for some reason whenever a target is poisoned, instead of displaying
the 'poison damage' they bullet punch themselves in the face.
Does anyone know where the poison damage might be located so
I can check for overlaps?

Edit: I can confirm this does not happen with burns, paralyz or anything else. Just the poison.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2013
My English is so bad……
It's nice,but I can't remember these codes.For example,05 0E C7 59 1D.Should I remember them for a long time?I want to make notes and read them when I do that.
Please give me some advice,thanks. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
Has anyone come up with a X-Scissors animation? I keep playing with Fury Cutter, but everytime I think I get something working, tinkering a bit with it just makes it crash and not work. I can't even seem to successfully nail down the animation of the move itself, let alone make it play back to back, change the direction, or make them play at the same time.

MrDollSteak

Years
Has anyone come up with a X-Scissors animation? I keep playing with Fury Cutter, but everytime I think I get something working, tinkering a bit with it just makes it crash and not work. I can't even seem to successfully nail down the animation of the move itself, let alone make it play back to back, change the direction, or make them play at the same time.

I'd possibly play around with Leaf Blade. It has the X cut at the very end of the animation which you could merge with something.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
I'd possibly play around with Leaf Blade. It has the X cut at the very end of the animation which you could merge with something.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I never used Treecko and Bulbapedia had a still image. Good call. I'll combine it with, say, the Silver Wind background or something.

MrDollSteak

Years
I've just been making a few more animations. I was trying to make scald and gunk shot from Hydro pump.
But I've noticed that moves like Hydro Pump and Sonic Boom that use repeating animations, don't follow the conventional structure 0f 02 xx xx xx 08, rather they seem to have animations that follow an 0E xx xx xx 08 structure, where xx xx xx 08 is a pointer to a table which is comprised of 02 xx xx xx 08. I've tried going to these locations and copying them to free space and repointing to that area, but this causes the animation to freeze. So this makes it difficult to change the palette. I was wondering if anyone knows more about this particular area.

EDIT: After some research, I've been able to successfully copy the 02 XX XX XX 08 data existing where the 0E xx xx xx 08 points to, and move it and change all the pointers. However when I copy the information at the pointer 02 xx xx xx 08 to a new offset and change the 02 xx xx xx 08 to point to that area that is when the animation freezes.

EDIT2: I'm an idiot. I was only copying 20 bytes as opposed to the 24 at 02 XX XX XX 08. It works now. So for those that want to change the colours or animation particles for a repeating animation such as Sonic Boom or Hydro Pump look for the 0E XX XX XX 08 pointer, and follow it to XX XX XX. Then copy the bytes from the start of that offset until you reach an F9 89 09 08. This signifies the end of the animation. Copy it to a new offset and change all the pointers. Then change the pointers in that to the 02 XX XX XX 08 animation in the new 0E XX XX XX 08 animation. Make sure to add the palette load at the beginning of the original animation. Sorry if I didn't explain this particularly well. It's a tad convoluted.

EDIT3: I've been doing some more research, and have found that by mixing Amnesia's background effect with different backgrounds such as the Dark type background, leads to some rather interesting combinations. It seems to take the palette and play a scrolling colour effect, which could be interesting for certain backgrounds.

Last edited:

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
EDIT3: I've been doing some more research, and have found that by mixing Amnesia's background effect with different backgrounds such as the Dark type background, leads to some rather interesting combinations. It seems to take the palette and play a scrolling colour effect, which could be interesting for certain backgrounds.

Yeah, such animations give me creeps even If i want to change pallete only. About edit3 it sounds interesting, could you give some screenshots?

MrDollSteak

Years
Yeah, such animations give me creeps even If i want to change pallete only. About edit3 it sounds interesting, could you give some screenshots?

Sure!

Here's an example of Nasty Plot

http://www.romhackersonline.com/soc...3/02/0e310deb0e108569a36a3a45c68fe6c2_500.png

It uses the Dark Type background. As it shows it seems to take the first few colours and starts scrolling them from the middle to give an idea of movement. It only seems to work with scrolling backgrounds so far from what I've seen.

I currently don't have any more screenshots, but I'll take some more soon!

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Thanks for answer. 11bayerf1. After some testing I managed to find such BGs (for example see attachment). I used:

Spoiler:

where 0E XX XX XX 08 is a pointer to new location. At the location there should be:

Spoiler:

Such code gives effect of ... how to call it - blinking or glowing.

Note: You can substitute 09 for any number from 00 to 1A for standard BGs or you even can insert number of custom BG. Also at the end there should be clearing command 0E C7 59 1D 08. If you change 09 to 00, you'll (probably) get BG from your first post.
It's possible to give that effect to colored BG. Example:

Spoiler:

where YY YY color, 0E XX XX XX 08 is a pointer to new location. At the location there should be:

Spoiler:

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
I think I didn't explain my earlier post properly. It is a list of commands for this animation-bytecode and the format of their arguments. "1C xxxx xx xx xx" = "The command 1C is followed by four arguments that are 2, 1, 1 and 1 bytes wide respectively."
I'll demonstrate it using this code by tajaros as example:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
oh my, this is a very good tutorial.
last night I decided to give it a try, and I made one.
here's animation for Roost

Spoiler:

needed bytes = 217

don't forget to set "target" -> "user" in attack editor. :)

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Years
I can now confirm that it is possible to create custom battle backgrounds by expanding the battle background table:
4trcow.png

2zy8qwi.png

This custom battle background takes up slot 0x1B (which does not exist in the original FireRed rom)

The table starts at 0x3ADE18, and ends at 0x3ADF5B. There's another table right after it, which I mistook as part of the same table, so just remember that it ends at 0x3ADF5B, even though it looks like it doesn't.

I inserted my tileset, palette, and tilemap all with unLZ (I made the tilemap with NTME). Simply insert into free space, then manually point to the offsets you used in your new table with a hex editor.

For anyone that wants to experiment, here is my tileset and tilemap (the palette is included within the tileset because it's indexed). To test it, insert these with unLZ, keep track of the offsets you inserted the tileset, palette, and tilemap, then repoint and expand the table (make sure you don't mistake the table right after it as part of the original table!!! just look at the start and end offsets I gave earlier in this post), then have the new entries in the table point to your tileset, palette, and tilemap, then make a custom battle animation (or edit an existing one) and use the background slot 0x1B. And yes, I designed the graphics so that it can scroll horizontally.

This is an amazing discovery, I looked at this before but didn't decide to implement it until now! Just a few questions, each background has 12 bytes, obviously pointers to the tileset, palette and tilemap. I was just wondering if the 3 pointers are respective to that order, ie. is the first pointer the pointer to the tileset etc.?
Also is there a specific limit to how many extra backgrounds you have? and finally, do they have to be 16 colours? I'm assuming they do, but with any luck they might not.

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:
Back