• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Evo-Yellow - All Pokemon Follow, Evolve Pikachu, catchable 250+ pokemon, alt. Minimalist 151 vers and Eevee/Meowth Starter Versions

If I made a spin-off version with a different 1-evo pokemon starter, which would you want most?

• Meowth (I strongly lean this way because Team Rocket had following Meowth/ kitty is cute.)

Votes: 123 25.9%
  • Magikarp (might be hard to draw emotions... I mean, it's a fish)

Votes: 53 11.2%
  • Vulpix

Votes: 91 19.2%
  • Eevee - with one Happiness evo only, alas; other evos in wild. Rival has other Eevee evo or Pikachu.

Votes: 183 38.5%
  • Other (Light, black, or Pikachu-similar palettes preferred so I don't have to mess with it >_>)

Votes: 25 5.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
I'm a simple man. I see Riolu in a GBC hack, I like. Where do you find it by the way? I've only encountered it via trainers.

EDIT: Okay so I found it. You have to trade Tangela for it near Fuchsia City. Kind of hoped I could have one under my OT so I can nickname it myself, but so be it. Who made the sprites for Riolu and Lucario?

I apologize. I was running into limits on how many wild pokemon there can be: at some point soon I'll reshuffle so some evolutions that never appear in the wild will switch places with Riolu and others so those ones can be caught via wild instead of only by trade. If I tried to put Riolu straight into the wild now, the game would send out a trainer instead.

Part of them were made by someone else, I have the credit somewhere but honestly forgot about it. >_< I swear I had notes about it somewhere but I seem to have misplaced it. x_x Part of them were actually made by me, because if I remember right, they didn't have backsprites / one or both of them wasn't four colors and couldn't actually be used in-game without editing. I do remember finding them on a 'devamp for gb use thread' so I know they were intended to be used for hacks.

edit: Found the credit! I wrote down 'Lucario GS by chibapika', and I also wrote GS by Riolu so it may be by the same person.

----

Eevee version is coming along good, and seems to be basically playable now without any weird eevee sprite abominations popping up, although the new titlescreen I added is very slightly glitchy so I might revert it, which would be a shame as pikachu titlescreen seems just wrong for an eevee version. :P

I just need to decide what eevee should evolve into, or maybe just make multiple versions of eevee evolving into different things, orrrr wait until I see if I can get some weird mega-evolve eevee into all its evos version to work. Right now eevee sprite stays eevee even on evolving and the ips in the github is for Sylveon evo.

Last edited:
Years
This hack is helping me relive a short-lived memory of when I was much younger and when I played Pokemon for a fairly short time (before I ended up moving to other series). Pokemon Yellow was the first Pokemon game I played, and it seems kind of outdated now after having played many Gen 3 and Gen 5 games/hacks, but the simplicity of Pokemon back then (not having to worry about resetting to catch a rare Pokemon due to bad Natures is a big plus to me), is highlighted in this hack, despite the additions you have made (Dark types make having a bug Pokemon much more viable).

It took me some time to get an idea of what team I should build, and it eventually came down to one spot left after filling it with Raichu, Ninetales, Azumarill, Skarmory, and Glaceon. After checking the Github sources you provided for this hack (a Pokemon location list is almost a must for me, finding out some of my favorites are not available or can be acquired near end-game is a deal-breaker for me, so I have avoided many popular Pokemon hacks/fan games due to that), another memory, though fresh, came to me. I played the GBA and DS Mystery Dungeon games a lot, and for some reason I really liked Yanmega. In this hack, the Yanma line is Bug/Dragon. My team covers most bases, but Psychic was one that would have been a problem, and you typically see Psychic Pokemon late game, so I felt that Yanmega would round out my team nicely.

The other thing that drew me to this hack was that normally you're stuck with Pikachu, but I'm glad this hack did away with the idea because I really like Raichu. After defeating Brock, my Pikachu started doing the fist pumping emotion, which meant the happiness level was almost there. As I started making my way through Mt. Moon, I thought to myself "I think I might have a Raichu at around the time I defeat Jessie and James.". Jessie and James witnessed my Pikachu evolve to Raichu right after defeating them. With only two Pokemon (Yanma being the other), I'm currently at the third rival fight. It might seem a little weird to challenge someone with six Pokemon...actually, make that five, because Yanma's Hidden Power turned out to be Ice, which knocked out Spearow in one hit. I think I should be ok, and I got some other members I want right after the Nugget Bridge challenge, so I'm excited about the rest of my journey through this hack. Great job with this hack!

EDIT: Yanma soloed the Rival Fight, it was able to take advantage of so many SEs that Sandshrew and Eevee were the only ones that could do any damage. My strategy is to have as much type coverage with a single Pokemon as I can, and it made this fight a breeze.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
This hack is helping me relive a short-lived memory of when I was much younger and when I played Pokemon for a fairly short time (before I ended up moving to other series). Pokemon Yellow was the first Pokemon game I played, and it seems kind of outdated now after having played many Gen 3 and Gen 5 games/hacks, but the simplicity of Pokemon back then (not having to worry about resetting to catch a rare Pokemon due to bad Natures is a big plus to me), is highlighted in this hack, despite the additions you have made (Dark types make having a bug Pokemon much more viable).

It took me some time to get an idea of what team I should build, and it eventually came down to one spot left after filling it with Raichu, Ninetales, Azumarill, Skarmory, and Glaceon. After checking the Github sources you provided for this hack (a Pokemon location list is almost a must for me, finding out some of my favorites are not available or can be acquired near end-game is a deal-breaker for me, so I have avoided many popular Pokemon hacks/fan games due to that), another memory, though fresh, came to me. I played the GBA and DS Mystery Dungeon games a lot, and for some reason I really liked Yanmega. In this hack, the Yanma line is Bug/Dragon. My team covers most bases, but Psychic was one that would have been a problem, and you typically see Psychic Pokemon late game, so I felt that Yanmega would round out my team nicely.

The other thing that drew me to this hack was that normally you're stuck with Pikachu, but I'm glad this hack did away with the idea because I really like Raichu. After defeating Brock, my Pikachu started doing the fist pumping emotion, which meant the happiness level was almost there. As I started making my way through Mt. Moon, I thought to myself "I think I might have a Raichu at around the time I defeat Jessie and James.". Jessie and James witnessed my Pikachu evolve to Raichu right after defeating them. With only two Pokemon (Yanma being the other), I'm currently at the third rival fight. It might seem a little weird to challenge someone with six Pokemon...actually, make that five, because Yanma's Hidden Power turned out to be Ice, which knocked out Spearow in one hit. I think I should be ok, and I got some other members I want right after the Nugget Bridge challenge, so I'm excited about the rest of my journey through this hack. Great job with this hack!

EDIT: Yanma soloed the Rival Fight, it was able to take advantage of so many SEs that Sandshrew and Eevee were the only ones that could do any damage. My strategy is to have as much type coverage with a single Pokemon as I can, and it made this fight a breeze.

Thank you! Yes, I made this for the nostalgia and for fun team building, and I'm glad it hit that note for you.
Yeah, the game definitely needs some difficulty tweaking. Yanma needs early game nerfing in particular, at a minimum I think I should either remove its hidden power or move it to a much later level, and I should perhaps also tweak the rival's team for better type coverage and more evo's (it doesn't really make sense for him to still have so many unevolved mons when people have Raichu by Cerulean). Tweaks like that'll be in 3.3 hopefully.

Years
I guess in general the game is a little on the easy side, but part of that might be due to it being rather easy to level up (I trained in Viridian Forest instead of the Routes due to the various Pokemon giving 100+ EXP, but also because I was trying to get Yanma). It also could be because I waited until the Pokemon I wanted is a shiny (took me probably 20-30 minutes to finally get a Purple colored Marill when I saw probably three different colors for both Bellsprout and Oddish), which tend to have good stats compared to similar versions of the same Pokemon. While I would agree Hidden Power Ice for Yanma might be a little overkill (I didn't realize until I used it against Spearow that it was Ice, it's actually Pin Missile that has really been doing work), it is also the reason I was able to get my third member with both members of my team almost double the level of the wild Pokemon on Route 24. Replacing Sonicboom for Dragon Rage almost was a mistake at this point in the game, but I still managed. I'm now at Route 25 to get member four for my team, then I'm off to Bill's. I probably could sweep Misty's team with just Raichu at this point, but I'm expecting a little resistance since Brock had some type coverage on his team as well.

EDIT: Got my fourth member, now to do some training and proceed to Bill's.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Can you evolve your evee?

Yes, in Eevee version it auto-evolves in Sylveon at the moment via level + happiness, just like my edit for Raichu, but has no special emotion sprites / just keeps looking like eevee outside of battle for now, in part because I haven't decided if I want to favor a particular evolution or not yet. Having other evos as well or some kind of weird 'mega evolve eevee temporarily into any evo' type system is something I'm still working on; this is still a very early version of the Eevee edition, hence why I asked for testers. If need be I can just post alternate versions with different evolutions though.

I guess in general the game is a little on the easy side, but part of that might be due to it being rather easy to level up (I trained in Viridian Forest instead of the Routes due to the various Pokemon giving 100+ EXP, but also because I was trying to get Yanma). It also could be because I waited until the Pokemon I wanted is a shiny (took me probably 20-30 minutes to finally get a Purple colored Marill when I saw probably three different colors for both Bellsprout and Oddish), which tend to have good stats compared to similar versions of the same Pokemon. While I would agree Hidden Power Ice for Yanma might be a little overkill (I didn't realize until I used it against Spearow that it was Ice, it's actually Pin Missile that has really been doing work), it is also the reason I was able to get my third member with both members of my team almost double the level of the wild Pokemon on Route 24. Replacing Sonicboom for Dragon Rage almost was a mistake at this point in the game, but I still managed. I'm now at Route 25 to get member four for my team, then I'm off to Bill's. I probably could sweep Misty's team with just Raichu at this point, but I'm expecting a little resistance since Brock had some type coverage on his team as well.

EDIT: Got my fourth member, now to do some training and proceed to Bill's.
I keep getting complaints that it is too easy, I'm glad that part of this is likely to be people over-grinding. Nonetheless, I'm going to try and tweak the next version (which likely will be out soon as I have a lot of free time right now) a bit more for difficulty, possibly move the grass/water mons except hoppip (who doesn't start with a grass move) out to the next route after Brock or somethin'. I may also be adding Spinarak and Pineco, who likely would be available early instead, and shuffle so Riolu and Sentret can be found wild, although Forretress won't really be itself until/if I program in a Spikes move, which I'm not sure if anyone but me would be interested in playing around with, but could make the Brock fight a bit harder at least.
I could also perhaps lower the EXP yield of the mons in Viridian forest, now that you mention it, so leveling takes longer, but that seems a little evil. I mean, no one really likes grinding to my knowledge.

Years
I would probably say that Brock's would be fine if you removed wild Butterfree and Beedrill from the forest (anyone wanting to say they own the two Bug Pokemon would need to also get Metapod and Kakuna anyway, and they might as well start with Caterpie and Weedle if they did that). It was not uncommon to get 200-300 EXP from them, and I actually encountered them probably every ten battles or so. Could probably also remove Pidgetto and lower the level that Yanma shows up in the wild (Bug/Dragon is a huge obstacle for Pikachu until it gets Quick Attack). In exchange, that leaves room for Spinarak and Pineco, probably not a bad area to place Sentret as well. As for Riolu, that was actually one of the Pokemon I was wanting to get, but since it was not available in the wild, I had to build a team without it. I think if you removed the wild Pokemon with the huge EXP gains, that still would have players nearing a Raichu by the time they finish Mt. Moon, but they would probably be closer to level 18 than to around level 22 or so like I finished at. At that point the rival's team would be a lot harder.

I also have seen a lot of weird stuff. My file now has a time of 255:59 despite me probably playing for...7 hours? Status conditions except for confusion go away once a turn is completed. There was one scenario I encountered where Yanma's rage apparently was building even though Yanma did not have a rage attack, but all kinds of weird stuff happened when I was trying to use Pin Missile against a Nidoria (I had read that Bug is actually super effective to Poison, which made no sense to me), but instead Yanma was attacking with things like "Attack" and "Defense" (it was not very effective). I also have noticed with a lot of Pokemon, but especially with Yanma, that it "eats a little" when its health is low and gains 10 HP even though I did not use a healing item on it, and often it finds its attack increasing after a successful physical move (getting this with Skarmory as well, but not Raichu or Azumarill). Holding items is also something a little weird...Raichu has "Chow", but noticed my Azumarill has "Max Elixir" as its hold item. I didn't see an option anywhere to assign or remove items. Maybe these hold items are why some Pokemon are being healed of status effects while others aren't (I remember having to rush back to Pokemon Centers for Yanma due to poison), but the hold items do not go away.

...Yeah, I've seen a lot of strange stuff and I'm only just about to head to Vermillion City.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
I would probably say that Brock's would be fine if you removed wild Butterfree and Beedrill from the forest (anyone wanting to say they own the two Bug Pokemon would need to also get Metapod and Kakuna anyway, and they might as well start with Caterpie and Weedle if they did that). It was not uncommon to get 200-300 EXP from them, and I actually encountered them probably every ten battles or so. Could probably also remove Pidgetto and lower the level that Yanma shows up in the wild (Bug/Dragon is a huge obstacle for Pikachu until it gets Quick Attack). In exchange, that leaves room for Spinarak and Pineco, probably not a bad area to place Sentret as well. As for Riolu, that was actually one of the Pokemon I was wanting to get, but since it was not available in the wild, I had to build a team without it. I think if you removed the wild Pokemon with the huge EXP gains, that still would have players nearing a Raichu by the time they finish Mt. Moon, but they would probably be closer to level 18 than to around level 22 or so like I finished at. At that point the rival's team would be a lot harder.

I also have seen a lot of weird stuff. My file now has a time of 255:59 despite me probably playing for...7 hours? Status conditions except for confusion go away once a turn is completed. There was one scenario I encountered where Yanma's rage apparently was building even though Yanma did not have a rage attack, but all kinds of weird stuff happened when I was trying to use Pin Missile against a Nidoria (I had read that Bug is actually super effective to Poison, which made no sense to me), but instead Yanma was attacking with things like "Attack" and "Defense" (it was not very effective). I also have noticed with a lot of Pokemon, but especially with Yanma, that it "eats a little" when its health is low and gains 10 HP even though I did not use a healing item on it, and often it finds its attack increasing after a successful physical move (getting this with Skarmory as well, but not Raichu or Azumarill). Holding items is also something a little weird...Raichu has "Chow", but noticed my Azumarill has "Max Elixir" as its hold item. I didn't see an option anywhere to assign or remove items. Maybe these hold items are why some Pokemon are being healed of status effects while others aren't (I remember having to rush back to Pokemon Centers for Yanma due to poison), but the hold items do not go away.

...Yeah, I've seen a lot of strange stuff and I'm only just about to head to Vermillion City.

The attack increasing part was intentional messing around on my part because tackle is the world's most boring move ever, and I think I botched up fixing rage a bit, but the pin missile behaving badly is new to me. I thinkkk but can't remember that bug/poison typing effectiveness changed after gen 1, so I may have changed the effectiveness a bit, so that part prolly isn't a bug.

You can give items from the bag menu with 'give', or should be able to. I haven't looked at the pokemon menu and altering it yet, might be simple as copying the same code over. I've actually come out with a fix for the items never being used up, so, next version the item system will be a lot better (it's pretty terrible at the moment and I'm aware of that). Actually, I might even do some megas, depends on my enthusiasm.

I'll do as you suggest and remove Butterfree and Beedrill from Viridian.

Another thing i just defeated erika how come she has like all her over lvl 50?

That is the result of me being an idiot and working on this at like 2 am at night and not getting any sleep and forgetting that not everyone skips Erika until they have access to the areas past Snorlax, and finding such levels were what was required for me to find her difficult. XD Whoops. I think in that case I went a little overenthusiastic in trying to deal with the demand to 'make the game harder'.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone cares, but I finally found my note on who made the lucario. It was by chibapika.

Negi Springfield

Magistar Magourum
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 11, 2018
I know I haven't posted much before but I felt it was important to report a very serious bug! When you use the TM Dig, there is a roughly 8/10 chance that it will hard crash the game and erase all save data! I had to replay the game to get to that point to even figure out what caused it in the first place. For what it's worth, it also can sometimes work normally, and one time, using it even caused a wild battle with a Pidgeot? No idea how that latter one happened but it was in the route right outside of Mt.Moon that caused the Pidgeot encouter. The game crashes were tested in Cerulean City and Vermillion City with savestates to undo the game save erasure, I can't say for sure if it happens everywhere else but I thought you'd like to know!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
So I was playing the latest version and I noticed 2 oddities. I caught a Woopee and at level 8 it learnt every single move that it could learn such as mud bomb, Amnesia and heck, even Earthquake.
The second one being that Hoppip takes super effective damage from electric types despite being a part grass type. Yanma also takes "Not very effective" damage from a thunder shock.

Years
The second one being that Hoppip takes super effective damage from electric types despite being a part grass type. Yanma also takes "Not very effective" damage from a thunder shock.

Can't explain the first one since it is indeed Grass/Flying. However, Yanma is Bug/Dragon in this game, so for me what doesn't make sense is why Fire is not very effective against Yanma since Bug is weak to Fire. It seems like this game has trouble with dual types, Steel moves do normal damage against Sandshrew even though Sandshrew is part Steel.

Negi Springfield

Magistar Magourum
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 11, 2018
At the above, from what I recall, that's just an error in message and not actual damage. Gen 1's battle system couldn't contextualize dual types well.

Sadly I have another error to report in the most recent version. I don't know if it's like this every time, since I lost a bit of progress, but when I used the Move Forgeter to remove Cut from my Charizard and then used the Move Learner to give him Fire Fang, the game crashed. I didn't lose my save this time, but I hadn't saved in a while so i'll have to get back to Fuchsia City in order to test that again.

PS: Fire Fang doesn't inflict burn, it instead sometimes freezes the enemy. Not... sure... how that works?..

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
At the above, from what I recall, that's just an error in message and not actual damage. Gen 1's battle system couldn't contextualize dual types well.

Sadly I have another error to report in the most recent version. I don't know if it's like this every time, since I lost a bit of progress, but when I used the Move Forgeter to remove Cut from my Charizard and then used the Move Learner to give him Fire Fang, the game crashed. I didn't lose my save this time, but I hadn't saved in a while so i'll have to get back to Fuchsia City in order to test that again.

PS: Fire Fang doesn't inflict burn, it instead sometimes freezes the enemy. Not... sure... how that works?..

Hm. Thank you for telling me about these crashes. The dig one in your earlier post is especially worrying, as I don't remember trying to modify dig in any way. The Move Forgetter at least could be result of me not porting it over carefully enough, as there are slight changes between pokered and pokeyellow versions.

And the Fire Fang thing doing ice is quite weird. I didn't initially program it, just copied over the code, so possibly I put something out of order there and Ice Fang and Fire Fang had their effects switched maybe. I know I previously tried out Poison fang and had its effect work properly, haven't tried Ice Fang.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 4, 2018
A bit of constructive criticism:

I do enjoy the hack so far (Only just past first gym so I'm hardly even into it), though a few things seem weird or off/imbalanced. Could be Gen 1 Mechanics faulting around too mind you. It could also very well be me since I'm playing on a 3DS with CFW (It runs with no crashes so far, and no real major bugs)

Running around in the first route I had a rather interesting glitch. Pikachu disappeared from following me after a while since the Pokemon following you doesn't quite run at the same speed (which is fine, I don't think its a bug so much as Gen 1 coding difficulties). Some time afterwards as I was running around Route 1 looking for interesting things to capture in the early routes, something glitched out and started weirding the map out, and I was unable to move out of the square I was in. No further encounters happened despite my spinning attempts. Saving and re-loading didn't help as the map was still glitched out, so I had to restart the save (which I was early in so whatever). So I'm a bit hesitant on running so much. Though it did remind me to save often in case of strange errors in romhacks :)

My male Nidoran (which is gold, dont know if that really matters but I could test it I suppose) and Nidorino (also gold) doesn't follow me. Instead it becomes a Zubat follow sprite. Humorous, but not sure if its lack of coding space or a bug. Sandshrew just kinda slides around which is adorable. Hoppip is an Oddish when following, which is probably more Gen 1 coding pains. Though it having a Pinsir cry is startling o.o

Faced Brock, and I really do have to ask since you start with Pikachu, but how many Full Heals does he have? How many full heals does the first gym need to have? I used Thunder Wave, he used a Full Heal the next turn, so I T-waved again since I wanted the speed cut for an advantage. Then in the same turn I paralyzed him, he healed with another Full Heal. This happened a good 3-4 times in a row to where I said out loud "Just how many Full Heals do you have, or did I glitch into some weird nightmare zone?" So while I think the same turn healing issue is more of a thing with the Gen 1 coding issues, at the same time honestly just how many Full Heals is the first gym going to pack when you start with Pikachu?
Status effects are a rather decent strategy imo, and speed control is rather huge in any competitive game, so it was kind of annoying and felt a little much for the first gym in a hack that doesn't seem meant as a difficulty hack.

Other minor weirdness is that Chow doesn't get used up, and it activates at very strange and unpredictable intervals. Though you did mention in posts that the hold items are very basic and likely bugged into the ground so I'm not too bothered. Free random heal is still a free heal after all.

That's all that stands out to me so far. Though I would request more documentation on changes made so players can figure out what was intentional or not.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 5, 2019
can anyone explain to me how amnesia works on this game? my poliwag knows it and it doesnt seem to be buffing anything when I use it. not sure what it does now. whats the physical special split thing mentioned in the original post? didnt know if that had anything to do with it cuz amnesia is just for special, not physical.

Years
Luv every single bit of your hack, mad props for the astonishing job. I got a question tho, how hard will it be for you to make a gate and key sidequest in order to get Mew?

Last edited:
Back