• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you like the follow me feature?

Do you prefer having the follow me feature compared to not having it?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No!

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I'm on the fence on this one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I enjoy playing with and without the feature!

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2012
I loved it. I think there should be more scale to the overworld models, and I think you should be able to pick or maybe have 7 Pokemon with you at once, but only 6 can battle.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I really disliked it because the first Pokemon followed you. Most of the time, the first Pokemon is the weak new addition, and well...I'd rather choose another one to follow me. That's the main reason I dislike it. Obviously everyone would choose their favorite Pokemon to follow them, and due to it being the first one, it kinda ruins that.

If they reintroduce this in the next Gen, I hope they at least allow you to choose it in the menu, so even your sixth can follow you. I just hope they don't overdo it and make all six follow you.

But in saying that, you do realise you were able to switch your party around. :P You could switch your favourite to first position, and your weakest to second for example.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
Years
I like the feature, thought it was a good addition,
however by the responses here it sounds like
it should be brought back with 2 amendments
1. Have a turn off feature (like a lot of the animation has)
2. Allow you to pick which pokemon follows you

I don't know much about programming, but to me, that doesn't sound like it would be to hard

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
For me,it brought nothing new or interesting to the table, and I wish I could have turned it off. I know that if I was a trainer IRL I wouldn't have my Pokemon follow behind me. Actually, IIRC I rode the bike more in SS than in any other Pokemon game to try to circumvent the system.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just a girl cosplaying as Mario with the god and creator of all Pokemon following her." - random Johto citizen

Seivad

The Equalist
Years
I quite enjoyed the revamp of Pokémon's Yellow specialty feature of having a Pikachu follow you around but instead it could of been any of 493 Generation IV Pokémon although it would have been nice to have the option of turning it off to avoid unrealistic moments.
Such as having a Groudon or Snorlax inside the eleveator of the Celadon Shopping Department.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I really liked it, but by the end of the game it did get pretty old.

It'd be nice to see it return as an option, like you can choose to have your Pokemon follow you or not.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Uncannily, I didn't like this feature. I thought I'd really like it, since I totally missed this feature that I had loved in the Yellow version. I can't explain why. The Pokémon following me just... Annoyed me. The time it took when you want that the Pokémon following you use a HM was pretty boring. I could have totally done without it.

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
Years
I always feel close to my Pokemon. If they were real I would have more than 6 out of the box so they could go with me places and stay in my house and be friends. They kinda remind me of my toy animals. I LOVED this feature and I wish it was in every game! I wish I could walk with my linoone in Black and Platinum and The Legend of Zelda and Portal 2 and the supermarket! :D
Also really cool 'cause I was 1yr old when yellow came out so I didn't get to experience that.

I like it because in my mind, all my Pokemon have personality, feelings, and they want to help me be the best trainer ever. That really felt real when they added this feature.

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
The argument saying it's pointless is valid, I guess. Bu that doesn't make it any less cool. Everything from the Manga to the horrible Anime, they have Pokemon out of the balls a lot. So why not the games?

I really liked the feature, it may not have had a real purpose, but it added immersion and that's good enough for me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I loved it, even way back during Yellow. Made feel closer to my pokemon and I was disappointed it was left out in B/W(2).

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Well I liked it alot and i'm gonna be mainstream here and say that I too was disappointed when it wasn't in BW OR B2W2. I though due to popular demand, that they would bring it back. I mean someone from Game Freak could be very well watching us right now. It's sort of a coincidence how everybody started talking about a Gen V PMD, and all of a sudden they decide to make one. What i'm saying is obviously, they're trying to please the fans. (I was going a bit off-topic there D: ).

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
May someone please tell why this feature was taken out gen 5? I loved it.... And i mean official reason (if the have given one out) I mean seriously so many people loved it how could they take it out? It's like not listening to the consumer when you are making a new Burger and decide oh some people dont like tomatoes lets take them all out, and not give them the option to get any, In my opinion this should at least have been a toggle able feature

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I absolutely loved this future, I was really upset that it wasn't in Gen V! D: It was so cool having your partner follow you around and some of the Pokémon looks seriously badass behind you. I do wish they'd make it so you could choose any Pokémon from your part to follow you so you could have something cute follow you whilst training something else, but that's only a minor thing :p Plus the way they were able to pick up items and gold leaves was very cool and it was a good way to get a rough idea of their happiness level :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The follow me feature was a neat concept in HG/SS, but I didn't mind playing without it in later games and in D/P/Pt. In HG/SS, I liked all my team members equally, so I switch around my team order from time to time.

Years
i loved this feature so much! Starting off, having your starter pokemon follow you around, it felt so...gah it felt so nostalgic. (even though it was the first time I had played a Johto game) And I loved how if the pokemon was shiny, they'd be shiny in the sprite that followed you. :D

Back