• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Rain, rain go away. OU RMT.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Rain, rain go away.

Introduction

A few weeks ago I created a thread called "Singing in the Rain" which was showcasing my beta rain team, which was still in building. This is basically just an up-graded version with a load of changes lololol layout theft This team is becoming lest rain oriented each time I edit it, which is kinda good because it's doing it's job. You'll learn more as you read. o-o;;

Up close and personal.

637.gif
@ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance

Volcarona? On a rain team? Preposterous! You may yell. But hold your words. >: She does amazingly well. I usually lead her with her, which can be good or bad. Depending on the opponents team is what makes my move. Usually I'll get Forretress or Deoxys who want to set-up. So that's what I do. After 1 Quiver Dance I usually tear down anything in my way. Bug Buzz demolishes everything that isn't resisted to it. Fiery Dance deals with Bug/Steel/Grass types and Hp Rock lets me take down threats such as opposing Volcarona and Flying/type that resists fire/bug. Physical attackers usually get a nasty surprise in the form of a flame body burn. Fiery Dance will always be chosen over Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat because of that glorious 50% of a SpA boost. Leftovers and Max Hp enable some survive-ability on the ol' gal.

641.gif
@ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- U-Turn
- Brick Break

Now, before you demolish this set I would like you to know that this works amazingly well. Prankster lets Bulk Up go first, meaning I get a +1 in my Defense and Attack right off the bat. Most opponents are always going to use Rock or Physical Ice moves against him so it's nice to have a bit of bulk in the defense. Acrobatics smashes anything that doesn't resist it. With the Flight Gem it's power is increased and from then on, it gets a permanent boost. U-Turn lets me take care of Latios/Latias/Deoxys/Etc. Brick Break > Hammer Arm, I cannot afford the speed decrease. Brick Break deals with Blissey, Chansey, Registeel, Regice and Regirock (I've been seeing these running around), Excadrill and Ferrothorn.

612.gif
@ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break

My lovely destroyer. After a +1 in attack and speed. GG. This thing destroys a lot of things including massive threats such as Jirachi, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, various Reuniclus sets, Scrafty, Gengar, Chandelure and others. Dragon Claw is so I don't get stuck in an awful Outrage. Well not awful, but I hate being trapped against Jirachi or something worse. Earthquake deals with Steel types whilst Brick Break decimated Ferrothorn. This things needs a fire attack, seriously! >:

186.gif
@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Nothing has changed on this Toed. I'm considering putting Hp Grass back onto him. Ever since I changed it, I've had no problems with Gyarados because Thundurus was on the team. Hydro Pump OHKO's Tyranitar when Politoed comes in second and they don't switch. It kills Excadrill, certain Jirachi sets and other annoying pests. It 2HKO's Latios, Reuniclus, Rotom-W (Certain sets) and other <pests> Ice Beam is my primary way of dealing with Dragons and Grass types. Focus Blast takes care of Ferrothorn and Hp Electric deals with Gyarados. It's getting changed to Hp Grass because Swampert, Gastrodon and Quagsire are trollin' Politoed's main job now, is to eliminate other weather threats. Since this team isn't very weather oriented, but works well in the rain I decided to let Toed stick around and revenge kill weather starters I don't want. Abomasnow doesn't like a Focus Blast to the face and Ninetales doesn't like Hydro Pump. Hippowdon is in the same boat as Tales and Tar.

642.gif
@ Lum Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Under the rain I want to abuse Thunder as much as possible. After a +2 Thundurus can just sweep entire teams. Hp Ice takes out anything Dragon/Grass type, and Focus Blast takes care of Excadrill and Ferrothorn. Thunder just takes care of everything else. Lum Berry is a nice trick. They try to use Toxic or Thunder Wave or even WoW and it gets healed right off. Which kinda makes them annoyed.

385.gif
@ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind

I've never really played another variant of Jirachi before, and believe me. This one is fun. Icy Wind trolls Dragon and Flying types, they're not 1HKO'd but they do get an un-wanted speed reduction which allows me to outspeed and kill. After 2 CM's I'm nice and safe. Psychic wards of any un-wanted Pokemon who don't resist it. Icy Wind becomes trollful after +2 and could give me some potential OHKO's. Thunder in the rain takes care of Water types, and can possibly make them paralyzed, which is always trolly.

Ending words

This team is quite good, if I do say so myself. <: It's gotten me to at least around 300 position-wise on the smogon ladder, I'm now sat at around 550-650 now. >: But I'm getting better. Bulky Water/Ground types really the only thing that give me trouble. Hp Grass should cover that.​

Code:

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
Years
What's up with those Jirachi EVs? Not EVing in special stats is incredibly wasteful. With only 260 Special Attack, it's going to take a few boosts to really do any kind of damage, and with no HP EVs, you really aren't getting the most out of it that you could in terms of special bulk. The Speed EVs will be more useful accompanied by a Timid nature (guarantees that you outspeed stuff like Jolly CB Haxorus that can easily come in and revenge kill or even come in on a CM). I would definitely put more EVs in Special Attack out of HP/Defense just so that you get more out of Calm Mind. I don't really know if you're trying to run a bulky CM Jirachi or more of an all-out attacker, but it kinda seems stuck in the middle and ultimately doesn't do either of them particularly well.

Same with Volcarona, really. After a Quiver Dance, you're basically robbing Volcarona of nearly 100 Special Attack points. Unless the bulk is for something specific (since I have never used Volcarona, I wouldn't know :x), wouldn't power be better for something that's an all-out attacker? Especially something that is clearly an early game Pokemon since it is really hurt by the presence of Politoed.

pokecole

Brave Frontier is great.
Years
This team looks pretty good. "Thunder in the rain takes care of Water types, and can possibly make them flinch, which is always trolly." How can thunder make them flinch? It can paralyze them though if thats what you mean. But like I said the team looks legit.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
hey nice team!!!! =)

the biggest problem i see for this team is entry hazards, especially SR, and since you do not have a rapid spinner to get rid of hazards then switching is going to hurt half your team if SR is up. volcarona will take half from them and tornadus and thundurus wont like it at all. =/

some ways around it are either take out the hazard user ASAP or taunt them. with two priority taunters on your team that should be easy, if you choose to replace a move with taunt. although your current sets for tornadus & thundurus seem to be effective.

another thing is: i feel your team could benefit from tailwind, namely, haxorus who still gets outsped by timid latios. ( well without DD up anyways). with tailwind you will be able to set up sooner and avoid taking as much damage.

overall you have a really nice team an you check lots of different weather abusers and users.

hope this helps =)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Taunt works better on Tornados over U-Turn. This lets you set up on Skarmory and stops status, phazing etc.

You are most likely going to want something to stop Stealth Rock however, Volcarona is 4x weak to it, and the genie's are both 2x weak to it. Speaking of which id most likely replace Volcarona, it does nothing and rain severely nerfs it. Id most likely replace it for a Spinner. Starmie might work nicely as it benefits greatly from Drizzle.

Also, a rather concerning feature of this team is it hardly has any defense, priority or really fast scarfers (Politoed doesn't count, everything respectable beats it after a boost) if something sets up. Id probably look into replacing Jirachi for maybe something like Scizor whose Bullet Punch may help mitigate this teams lack of ability to stop things that can set up. Haxorus might be replaceable too in regards to this.

I hope this helps a little, sorry it wasnt really in depth its late so yeah.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
What's up with those Jirachi EVs? Not EVing in special stats is incredibly wasteful. With only 260 Special Attack, it's going to take a few boosts to really do any kind of damage, and with no HP EVs, you really aren't getting the most out of it that you could in terms of special bulk. The Speed EVs will be more useful accompanied by a Timid nature (guarantees that you outspeed stuff like Jolly CB Haxorus that can easily come in and revenge kill or even come in on a CM). I would definitely put more EVs in Special Attack out of HP/Defense just so that you get more out of Calm Mind. I don't really know if you're trying to run a bulky CM Jirachi or more of an all-out attacker, but it kinda seems stuck in the middle and ultimately doesn't do either of them particularly well.

Same with Volcarona, really. After a Quiver Dance, you're basically robbing Volcarona of nearly 100 Special Attack points. Unless the bulk is for something specific (since I have never used Volcarona, I wouldn't know :x), wouldn't power be better for something that's an all-out attacker? Especially something that is clearly an early game Pokemon since it is really hurt by the presence of Politoed.

The Evs are quite messed up, yes. x_x But they're mainly like that to add extra bulk. Jirachi's spread was originally 252 SpA/252Spe which got it mauled by some powerful physical attacks, now it doesn't go down so easy. \: Same with Volcarona really; except she just gets mauled by a non-resistant physical attack.

This team looks pretty good. "Thunder in the rain takes care of Water types, and can possibly make them flinch, which is always trolly." How can thunder make them flinch? It can paralyze them though if thats what you mean. But like I said the team looks legit.

Thanks & uh I meant paralysis. x_x I just got messed up. :x
hey nice team!!!! =)

the biggest problem i see for this team is entry hazards, especially SR, and since you do not have a rapid spinner to get rid of hazards then switching is going to hurt half your team if SR is up. volcarona will take half from them and tornadus and thundurus wont like it at all. =/

some ways around it are either take out the hazard user ASAP or taunt them. with two priority taunters on your team that should be easy, if you choose to replace a move with taunt. although your current sets for tornadus & thundurus seem to be effective.

another thing is: i feel your team could benefit from tailwind, namely, haxorus who still gets outsped by timid latios. ( well without DD up anyways). with tailwind you will be able to set up sooner and avoid taking as much damage.

overall you have a really nice team an you check lots of different weather abusers and users.

hope this helps =)

I've noticed SR does tend to hurt a lot. I'm gonna take D_A's advice and replace Volcarona for Starmie. I may try using Tailwind on Scizor [Who's replacing Jirachi] and see how that works, thanks for the advice.

Taunt works better on Tornados over U-Turn. This lets you set up on Skarmory and stops status, phazing etc.

You are most likely going to want something to stop Stealth Rock however, Volcarona is 4x weak to it, and the genie's are both 2x weak to it. Speaking of which id most likely replace Volcarona, it does nothing and rain severely nerfs it. Id most likely replace it for a Spinner. Starmie might work nicely as it benefits greatly from Drizzle.

Also, a rather concerning feature of this team is it hardly has any defense, priority or really fast scarfers (Politoed doesn't count, everything respectable beats it after a boost) if something sets up. Id probably look into replacing Jirachi for maybe something like Scizor whose Bullet Punch may help mitigate this teams lack of ability to stop things that can set up. Haxorus might be replaceable too in regards to this.

I hope this helps a little, sorry it wasnt really in depth its late so yeah.

I've decided on Starmie and Scizor to replace Volcarona and Jirachi, I'll see how they do. I do see how the team is quite weak; defense-wise.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
If you don't go for Scizor over Jirachi you're really torn apart by things like Scarf Terrakion and other fast Rock/Ground coverage mons. RP Landorus is also notably a huge weak (though it probably needs a weakened 'Toed first) but otherwise it has no trouble cleaning out your team. I also feel like Haxorus was just kinda randomly thrown on and you might be able to do something more um synergistic there. You might want to focus moreso on something that can abuse Chansey's disappearance or force it to die because a NP Thundurus sweep seems like the end goal here. BU Tornadus helps a lot in that respect but I think you might want to look into a CB Scizor + Rotom-W sort of core. They bounce off of each other's checks really well and you have a solid answer to NP Celebi (ie, Rain + Tornadus) so it won't tear through Scizor + Rotom-W. Those two have been proven time and time again to be notoriously effective. Alsooo you should consider Starmie > something like D_A said because spinning is important when two core mons are SR weak and have no recovery. It won't help insanely much but I think having more bulk in Rotom-W + Scizor will be useful, and Starmie can force out non-Scarf Terrakion.

Aaaand now I feel like I'm rambling lol so I'mma stop. GL with your team. ;;

Back