• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BriCKson

Rarely comes out of Trade Corner... O.o
Years
I for a long time have also never been impressed by the grass type starters. Bulbasaur was the only one that remotely looked awesome to me. However... I love chespin. In fact this is the first gen that I have thought all of the starters are well done(besides first gen). I am super happy with the starters on this gen. I do not however do not care for the final evos of the grass/fire types. I am still rolling chespin though. Super CUTE!! Have they confirmed if hes grass/dark?

Years
I for a long time have also never been impressed by the grass type starters. Bulbasaur was the only one that remotely looked awesome to me. However... I love chespin. In fact this is the first gen that I have thought all of the starters are well done(besides first gen). I am super happy with the starters on this gen. I do not however do not care for the final evos of the grass/fire types. I am still rolling chespin though. Super CUTE!! Have they confirmed if hes grass/dark?

The types for the final stages are Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark.

BriCKson

Rarely comes out of Trade Corner... O.o
Years
The types for the final stages are Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark.

Really??? I guess that's much more interesting. That kind of excites me for the water type.... I am the biggest absol fan EVER. But chespin is sooooo cute. Those are interesting types. The fire type to me is the least interesting. Thank you for the info!!!!! :)

Years
Really??? I guess that's much more interesting. That kind of excites me for the water type.... I am the biggest absol fan EVER. But chespin is sooooo cute. Those are interesting types. The fire type to me is the least interesting. Thank you for the info!!!!! :)

Yeah, and the types even fit the RPG class theme they had going on.

Chespin's line is the fighter, hence the part Fighting-type. Fennekin's line is the mage, hence the part Psychic-type and Froakie's line is the thief, hence being part Dark-type. It's even acknowledged on this TV Tropes page.

Years
I think I'll start with Fennekin initially. For the most part, I've always enjoyed the fire starters the best. And he's just so adorable.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
While I'm trying to avoid all leaks as much as possible, I just accidentally discovered these yesterday......

So here's my thoughts.

Personally I don't get all the hate for them. I think they're cool! The leaks said they'd be a knight, mage , and ninja and that's exactly what these are. Delphox is a Fire/Psychic too and not Fire/Fighting which is what everyone was hoping Fennekin's evolution would be. The reason it loses it's stick or wand, resemsbles how wizard/mages become so powerful that they don't need to use a wand to create magic but can channel it on their own. Chesnaught's color change is based on how a chestnut bursting out of it's shell and it also resemble armadillo combined with a knight. I guess people just had their expectations up way too high. That's definitely because all of the fan made ones looked really cool. People saw those and got their hopes hope. Honestly i thought a lot of of the fanart looked amazing too, but knowing GameFreak, I expected them to look way different than those.

I really like all of them, but I'm waiting for their official reveals and I see their official art before holding further judgement. My opinion on a Pokemon often changes after I see official artwork. I'm still fairly certain I'll be picking Fennekin cause I like Delphox, but I really like Greninja alot too so I may be conflicted once again!

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
In my opinion, I find Froakie to have the most understandable and coolest looking evolution.

Years
In my opinion, I find Froakie to have the most understandable and coolest looking evolution.

Yeah, and even more better was that like the two Water starters before it, it started off unloved by the fanbase, only to end up getting such a cool-looking final evolution stage. Heck people weren't even expecting Piplup to eventually become part-Steel!

And also this means Kalos is the second region that all of its starters gain a second type in their final stages, the first one being Sinnoh.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
Years
I can't decide! All of them are just too cool!

I want that witchy Dephox but Chesnaught is just too cool! I want to use Greninja for Water Shuriken though

I really can't decide. When I first saw the starters, I said I'd chose Froakie.

Then comes the second evolution line and Braixen's broom wand thing stole my heart!

Last evolution was Chesnaught and he was so cool! I can't decide!

I'd probably use Chespin because I hadn't used Fire starter since Torchic but every starter is just too tempting...

Years
Most likely, I'll go with Froakie. I'm not a fan of Fennekin's final evo. Even though I like Chesnaught's design, I still think the proportions are kind of awkward. Greninja wins it for me. Still, I'm not totally sure.

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2013
All of them have horrible last evos so i am just going to pick a random one and capture another pokemon i like to replace it .

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Well Grass Types have taken me by the storm again, this makes 4 generations in a row now of Grass-Type Starters first, ahh I miss Charmander and Totodile...

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Last generation made Typhosion's back sprite look like crap, so I might end up using one (an offspring of my Heart Gold Typhlosion in fact lol) in one of the games. can't wait. He's always been my favourite starter.

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
This ended up being a tricky choice for me! 3:

I really liked their first evolution - especially Fennekin and Chespin! Had high hopes. 3:
I quite liked Froakie as well.. I'm just not that much into frogs!
But anyway.. I was pretty sure I would be taking Fennekin because I haven't used a fire starter in a long time (Can't say I liked Tepig, Chimchar and Torchic all that much.) but I wanted to let it depend on their final evolutions.

Unfortunatly those are exactly the only Pokémon of this generation which don't appeal to me at all!
I completly dislike Chestnaughts design. : ( But then again - I don't feel like using plant this time around anyway!
Froakie's last evolution is actually quite cool-looking. But then - as mentioned before - I don't have much of a thing for frogs and in all honesty.. I find the tongue a bit disturbing. 3: <

Which leaves Fennekin!
I am very disapointed in Fennekins evolution as well but at least I believe it could grow on me. Perhaps it's not exactly the design I dislike so much but more that it's completely not what I was hoping it to be. I just don't like when they humanize Pokémon etc.
And unlike most - it seems - I don't think it looks feminine. :'')

Anyway - as I wanted to use fire anyway and Delphox seems to be the only one that may grow on me I will be sticking to Fennekin as I had originally planned.

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
Years
So these evos are legit, then? I'm happy with what we got. I think they all look awesome.

Greninja is definitely my favorite, though. Dark and Water are my top two favorite types, and it looks great (who doesn't like ninjas?), so I really couldn't be more pleased with how Froakie turned out.

Design-wise, I like Delphox and Chesnaught about the same, but I don't particularly care for Grass or Fighting types, so I'll be choosing Fennekin for my second play through. Also, Psychic is my third favorite type. I'll do Chespin last.

After the awful starters in Gen V, I was pretty worried that they'd screw up with Gen VI as well. Thankfully, I think I can now rest easy until release day. Of course, we don't have the stats or full movesets yet, but I'm optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back